Paste & Cut Travelling Box #4A - Reviews and Comments

No shaves since Tuesday!

You guys are masters of restraint :)

Used everything I wanted to try already! The other stuff didn't pass the sniff test, was APR, or I had already tried it.

Thanks again for organising this @Mark1966. Really appreciate it.

Box handed over to @Korbz today at the meet up.

Once again the Travelling Box is saving money!

Thanks for 'playing' @Sxot and for your reviews :)

Once again the Travelling Box is saving money!

Thanks for 'playing' @Sxot and for your reviews :)
The savings @Mark1966 spoke of, have just gone out the window already on the first use.

Methodology of my testing for all reviews
  • R41 will be tested using Jabonman or B&M Soaps, which I am most intimate with their performance and consistency
  • Soaps will be tested with Rockwell 6S on setting #5 (Permasharp blades)

Day 1
After separating 9 soaps and assorted aftershaves/balms, I went through them and couldn't pass up the Razor Master Soap after glowing reviews from @alfredus and @nsavage whom I trust implicitly. For the post, I chose the B&M Reserve Cool as a fresh scent to pair with the soap.

Soap 1 - Razor Master Pekka
TLDR - Great soap, nice thickness and glide, little short on residual slickness but awesome post shave.

Keeping in mind these are samples (generous portion samples) you sometimes don't get the full scent impact as you would from a tub. Scent strength was about a 5-6/10 (Tabac/Stirling MITA being 8-9/10). The scent itself was unassuming and pleasant aquatic scent, I couldn't distinguish any particular notes with my crap nose, however would pair with something like Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme Atlantiqve or Davidoff Cool Water. Performance I'll break down into the usual categories
Cushion/Thickness/Consistency (all kind of one in my eyes), Glide and Post Shave. Cushion was very typical of non-tallow soaps I've used, where it didn't produce the thick yoghurty consistency you see in @alfredus daily lather shots, but more meringue, whilst not being at all too light or fluffy. Glide was good, but not a great deal of residual slickness. Not too tempted to buff much using this soap, but I try not to anyway (and there wasn't much need with the razor and soap combo). Post shave was brilliant. I left it with no post shave for a good half hour afterwards, just a cold water splash to see how it went. My skin had the same feel as if I had used Blackship Grooming aftershave. Was bordering on tacky it felt that smooth, without feeling greasy in the least (up there with MWF).

B&M Reserve Cool Aftershave
TLDR - will buy the soap in this scent when it comes out. Face feel doesn't seem much different to the regular B&M splashes, even though the ingredient list is a mile long.

Really blue in colour which surprised me. If you have used B&M aftershaves before, I didn't find this any different tbh in the face feel. A touch of menthol (less than the Myrsol range) but cooling and refreshing. I find B&M splashes give a dryer, but really soft face feel afterwards (balms like myrsol emulsion give a more wet moist face feel even though they finish dry). Could certainly use now in Qld, but would probably switch to a balm on the 3 or 4 morning it actually gets cold here in Winter.

Day -2 Australian Private Reserve Soap and Splash

Scent strength - 5-6/10 (not many of the samples would be much more than this), but strength did increase a little when lathered
Cushion/Thickness/Consistency -You've seen @alfredus lather shots, same result here. Thick yoghurty lather, great ability to absorb water and shiny like a diamond (too much Moana)
Glide - 8/10 really nice glide and residual slickness, only slightly less than the likes of L&L and Stirling
Post shave - 6-7/10 finish was a little on the dry side. Nothing that would put me off using the soap at all, just not up there with the Razor Master from yesterday.

Splash
After having sampled the first lot of aftershave samples, I was really interested to see how it had evolved, and I must say I'm very impressed. The face feel of the splash was a good mix between Blackship Grooming and B&M (blackship being almost tacky soft feel, and B&M dry soft feel). Very little sting which surprised me given how raw my neck was after the shave, and sitting here a few hours later, getting whiffs of the scent still which is very pleasant. Will certainly be picking up one of the winter lines.

Day -2 Australian Private Reserve Soap and Splash

Scent strength - 5-6/10 (not many of the samples would be much more than this), but strength did increase a little when lathered
Cushion/Thickness/Consistency -You've seen @alfredus lather shots, same result here. Thick yoghurty lather, great ability to absorb water and shiny like a diamond (too much Moana)
Glide - 8/10 really nice glide and residual slickness, only slightly less than the likes of L&L and Stirling
Post shave - 6-7/10 finish was a little on the dry side. Nothing that would put me off using the soap at all, just not up there with the Razor Master from yesterday.

Splash
After having sampled the first lot of aftershave samples, I was really interested to see how it had evolved, and I must say I'm very impressed. The face feel of the splash was a good mix between Blackship Grooming and B&M (blackship being almost tacky soft feel, and B&M dry soft feel). Very little sting which surprised me given how raw my neck was after the shave, and sitting here a few hours later, getting whiffs of the scent still which is very pleasant. Will certainly be picking up one of the winter lines.
Which APR was it you used ??

Day 3 - Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba & The Stay Whisker Balm & Barberry Havana Splash

Soap - SMN $68/tub, non-tallow cream
Good, but wouldn't spent $68 on it.
Was really looking forward to this one, as I had read very good things about SMN and always partial to a little menthol goodness. OK, where to start. It was a soft consistency, think Caties Bubbles (in the 8oz tubs, not new formula). Really easy to build lather and didn't take on huge amounts of water, but more than other non-tallows I use. The lather itself was really nice. Great thickness to it, didn't dissipate over the shave and just generally looked and felt nice. The menthol was there, similar to proraso green. Scent was very neutral, 3/10 strength even when lathered, but pleasant enough what I could detect. Cushion/Consistency etc. I'd give an 8/10 as it just really impressed on this front. Slickness likewise was good, without being that (if any) much better than Mystic, Stirling, B&M or any other artisan I put up the top. Post shave was nice, but not there with MWF, solid 7/10 though.

Barberry Havana Splash
Great tobacco/vanilla scent on this. Right up my alley. Really not a heap of skin food type ingredients looking at the list, and it was certainly reflected in the post shave feel. Left feeling dry, however the scent was great (although brief).

TSW Balm
With the splash leaving me feeling dry, I decided to give the TSW balm a go about half an hour after the shave. Hearing much love around the grounds I had high hopes. I have naturally oily skin, so generally look for products that don't leave a greasy feeling post application. This was one of those products that did leave that greasy feeling on my skin. The scent was nice and neutral so it wouldn't interfere with any EDT, and the balm itself certainly delivered with calming and nourishing properties. Personally I'm probably going to stick with the Lea or Manuel's balms.

Day 3 - Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba & The Stay Whisker Balm & Barberry Havana Splash

Was really looking forward to this one, as I had read very good things about SMN and always partial to a little menthol goodness. OK, where to start. It was a soft consistency, think Caties Bubbles (in the 8oz tubs, not new formula). Really easy to build lather and didn't take on huge amounts of water, but more than other non-tallows I use. The lather itself was really nice. Great thickness to it, didn't dissipate over the shave and just generally looked and felt nice. The menthol was there, similar to proraso green. Scent was very neutral, 3/10 strength even when lathered, but pleasant enough what I could detect. Cushion/Consistency etc. I'd give an 8/10 as it just really impressed on this front. Slickness likewise was good, without being that (if any) much better than Mystic, Stirling, B&M or any other artisan I put up the top. Post shave was nice, but not there with MWF, solid 7/10 though.

Barberry Havana Splash
Great tobacco/vanilla scent on this. Right up my alley. Really not a heap of skin food type ingredients looking at the list, and it was certainly reflected in the post shave feel. Left feeling dry, however the scent was great (although brief).

TSW Balm
With the splash leaving me feeling dry, I decided to give the TSW balm a go about half an hour after the shave. Hearing much love around the grounds I had high hopes. I have naturally oily skin, so generally look for products that don't leave a greasy feeling post application. This was one of those products that did leave that greasy feeling on my skin. The scent was nice and neutral so it wouldn't interfere with any EDT, and the balm itself certainly delivered with calming and nourishing properties. Personally I'm probably going to stick with the Lea or Manuel's balms.
Great review I can't wait to get stuck in

Barberry Havana Splash

TSW Balm

The SMN cost far more than $A68 - I flew all the way to Firenze to get that!

Great review again mate :)

Day 4 & 5 (indication of my purchase is comparative to my favourite products, and if I'd bring it into rotation)

Soap (day 4) - Meißner Tremonia Moroccan Rhassoul Shaving Soap
TLDR - Spicy scent, middle tier performance. Wouldn't buy.
Scent (according to website) Since ancient times, Ghassoul (pronounced Rhassoul), Moroccan washing clay, has been used for cleaning the body in northwestern Africa. A touch of the Orient with virgin copaiba balsam leaves and cloves.
What I get - spicy like Masterfoods Moroccan Seasoning or All Spice. The clove dies down a little as lathered though. 6/10 strength
Performance - Weird lather. Started well, but took a while to get to a good consistency. Even then, was a little light and fluffy for my liking. Seemed to dissipate over the 3 passes. Slickness, residual glide and post shave were all middle of the road (5-6/10), without any being astounding.

Post Shave - Trumpers Skin Food Lime
TLDR - scent was limey without being sweet. Gel like liquid, that absorbs well and seems to do the job. Probably wouldn't buy.
First thing that got me about this, was the consistency. This is the first gel like post shave I've used. I wouldn't call it a cream or oil. Took about 10-15 mins to be fully absorbed, and left the skin somewhat dry/soft which was surprising (thought it would be more the tacky/soft). I'm not a huge lime scent as a post shave person (like the scent, just not in this capacity).

Soap (day 5) - Wickham 1912 Classic
TLDR - Non-tallow soap, solid mid-tier performance. Would buy if there was a scent that I loved.
Scent (website) Fruity barbershop.
What I get - half chewed juicy fruit mixed with soap. Very faint fruit scent, mixed with a clean powdery soap scent.
Performance - was very encouraging with the lather to start again. Very much kicked off like P&B, when loading. When face lathering, it burst into volume with very little water. The lather itself was thick, voluminous and was solid. Glide was ok, with residual slickness probably less than what I'd like. Post shave was good as well. I finished with Thayers after about 5 mins, then Myrsol Antesol after another 10 mins.

Day 7

Soap - Local Gent Shaving Co Kona Colada
TLDR - Really wanted to love this soap, as the scent is brilliant. Performance was lacking (low tier) so wouldn't buy.
Scent - Kona Coffee and Coconut (Kona Coffee is from Hawaii). The main note is Coconut, with coffee coming through as you lather, with something sweet sitting in the background (think I read somewhere it may be pineapple but I couldn't tell).
Performance - Being the last day of holidays (public holiday in Qld), I took my time and loaded for a long time. The brush was packed and I went to the face. The lather just wouldn't thicken. Very thin and whispy, with very little in the way of cushion. Glide was ok while the lather was present, however didn't really get a stable lather. I had to re-apply half way through on the second pass. Post shave was actually quite good, as I find most that have Shea butter for me. I'll be trying again as still have some left in the bowl, maybe with distilled water just to see if I can get it to perform, but would never go through that trouble when I can get a decent coffee soap from Mystic Waters or now Razor Master.

Razor - Muhle R41
2 Days in a row, and this thing has been sitting in a shopping cart with Juan @Gifts&Care.com since the end of my shave yesterday. I've been waiting to see if my second shave was as good as the first. It was... TBH I just don't get it. I have fantastic shaves with what is supposed to be one of the more aggressive, yet the Timeless causes way more irritation and nicks/weepers (and no I won't swap the Timeless for a R41 lol).
First shave I used a Rapira Chrome, which was either the 2nd or 3rd shave. I switched that out tonight after first pass for a fresh Permasharp blade. Loading the blade was no issue, and the alignment wasn't a concern. The pins seemed to be a little larger which meant little to no play in the blade. The tabs on the ends of the blades are almost completely covered as well, so you can navigate your nose with ease. The head itself is quite slimline, which allows a great variety of angles that this razor works at. I found steep angles working better for me. Under the nose actually felt like I was using a straight, it had that type of blade feel. Really enjoyed using this razor and will be buying a head and stainless handle for it.

Really enjoying reading these constant reviews!

Very interesting comments on some top-tier soaps, I can't say I agree with them but peoples experiences with soap, and more importantly their expectations are a constant source of surprise to me. Personally the fragrance of the soap is something I put way behind performance as it is so fleeting, other people seem to place it as paramount :)

Very interesting comments on some top-tier soaps
Tiers are highly subjective, and certainly keen to understand which you consider to be top tier in your opinion that I've used for example. I think that samples are an ok indication, but do have the ability to mislead (scents I find aren't as strong in samples, not as easy to overload etc.). Wickhams, SMN and Meißner Tremonia have some glowing reports on P&C for example for highly astute shavers.

Personally the fragrance of the soap is something I put way behind performance as it is so fleeting, other people seem to place it as paramount :)

In the immortal words of Queen, I want it all. With the abundance of quality artisans around, you should never have to sacrifice performance for scent. I may consider using a top mid-tier soap if the scent was to die for (if Local Gent Kona performed better for me for example), but it would be the first to drop out of rotation should I find something better overall.

Crown King Steeplechase
TLDR - good soap that I wouldn't complain about using. Good all round performer, but slightly lacking in residual slickness (didn't take as much water as I would have liked).

Nice scent on the soap. I couldn't break down any individual scents to the soap without checking the profile tbh. I kinda picked the oakmoss, but that was about it. It's what I would class as a light scent. No heavy leather or incense scents here.
Lathered without any issues, and produced a nice thick, voluminous lather. Didn't take a heap of water to get it to explode. At that point it had decent glide, however the residual slickness wasn't fantastic compared to others. Post shave was really good. Overall quite a good soap and still have my eyes on the Kiss scent.

I'm really appreciating these reviews, having people post such comprehensive comments and observations saves me having to try the products myself (or not trying them). I think the reviews coming in on both the travelling boxes are being written so well with so much useful information provided. They are a good read too as I often wonder about some of the products.

I check this thread every morning. loveing the "forced reviews" not as in your doing it against your will and your hating doing it, I'm loving the fact that everyone has to do it and I'm really enjoying hearing what everyone thinks. hearing what everyone's using, not using and trying when they normaly wouldn't.

Box is packed and cleaned ready for delivery to Tony on Friday. Many thanks to @Mark1966, contributors and vendors for making it possible. Saved me some purchases, but also confirmed others. Standouts for me were the R41 and razor master soap, as they were the largest surprises. I knew APR would be good.

Edit- B&M reserve cool as well. Thought it might just be a sales pitch, but was really nice. Going to buy the set w/soap when released.

Aaaah :arghh: crap :oops::( @Korbz try a heavy handle with the R41 head this does makes a huge difference than the original handle

Does this mean you would recommend the R41 Grande over the standard?
I believe the only difference is the longer handle.
Or do you have an example 3rd party handle in mind?
If my wife asks, I'm asking for a friend...