Paste & Cut Travelling Box #4A - Reviews and Comments

@lerenau the R41 works better with a heavy handle for example the iKon Bulldog or the Weber Bulldog handle see below. using original handle such as the standard or the Grande doesn't have any extra weight.

When using the R41 with a heavy handle makes this a lot easier to shave without apply pressure, because you are only allowing the weight of the razor to cut your stubble without applying pressure this will give you far less nicks or cuts and also irritation. The R41 can bite you very quickly on the spot if you apply pressure by not allowing the weight of the razor to do the complete cutting during your shave, otherwise you could end up having a blood bath shave which is not very nice and this will make Freddy Krueger very happy.

Icoxfek.jpg

Last edited:
The Travelling box has arrived !!! :D It is sitting on my desk and smells awesome ;)
Now I just need to work out my plan of attack.
Cheers Tony
hey Tony. should put in one of your brushes for people to try? I've been on the fence about ordering a custom brush for a long time now and the chance to try even one of your basic style brushes and knots would be awesome. sorry if that sounded demanding I'm not good at putting thoughts into words please don't feel like you have to

hey Tony. should put in one of your brushes for people to try? I've been on the fence about ordering a custom brush for a long time now and the chance to try even one of your basic style brushes and knots would be awesome. sorry if that sounded demanding I'm not good at putting thoughts into words please don't feel like you have to
@the_shaving_sailor I did think about it and decided against it due to people sharing the same brush and would it be an issue ? so I decided against it. However if the general consensus is that people are keen to try a brush and have no issue with cleaning and sterilising it then I would certainly be happy to do that next time.
Cheers Tony

Firstly thanks to all involved for making and arranging the P&C Traveling Box.
Now on with the show;)
Today was the first time since Friday I have had a chance to even go through the box. Being that I am relatively new to this lark my reviews will be short and quick and do not expect me to break down scents as I could not do that to save myself. What I do know though, is if my nose likes it, next thing is to try it and and see how well it performs. So without further a do, these are the first soaps that my nose wants me to try.
LmqTnjO.jpg

First cab off the rank was to be the B&M Cologne Russe and I have also chosen to use the Muhle R41 for all my shaves using soaps from the P&C Box. I will also use my TF Synthetic with all soaps just to keep all things the same.
After wetting my synthetic and removing excess water I took brush direct to soap pot and loaded the brush for about 20 seconds or so and then used my lather bowl adding water as required. The soap took a fair amount of water. After very little work I had a great looking creamy lather along with a scent that got stronger during lathering and scent that I found very very pleasing.
Face lathering was easy and a quick and thick lather was no problem at all.
I loaded a Voskhod into the Muhle and was ready to go. First initial thoughts on the Muhle were, lots of blade feel and very audible so telling myself to be very very careful was paramount. First pass WTG on a couple of days growth felt really grabby but I adjusted well with no pressure and let the weight of the razor do the work. Second pass XTG was fine however I exercised a little caution around upper and lower lip as still lots of grabby blade feel. Third pass ATG was fine again with a little caution around the lip areas. All in all I was actually pleased with the use of the razor with no nicks, weepers and only the very slightest bit of irritation around my lips. After three passes I would normally have a BBS shave however after this shave I still have a little roughness under my jaw line. Lets see how I go after a few more uses with the Mule.
Back to the soap. Lathering was easy with a thick creamy lather produced. I felt plenty of protection/cushion, glide and residual slickness for a pleasant shave.
Now do not ask me to describe the scent as all I can tell you is I like it and it would certainly be a soap I would purchase moving forward.
Cheers Tony

Day 2
Second Shave using some gear from the "P&C Traveling Box"
Tonight's choice of soap was the Simpsons Lavender & Vetiver Shaving Cream. I have absolutely no idea about shaving creams as I have never used them before, but I was very pleasantly surprised with this one to the extent I will definitely need to get myself some for sure. So where do I send my money ??
With the Muhle loaded with a fresh Voskhod I removed a small scoop with my finger of the Simpsons cream and stuck it to the bottom of my lather bowl. Cream was easy to work and took a reasonable amount of water to build what I would say was a very luxurious lather that performed very well in all cushion/protection, glide and residual slickness. Scent was great and reasonable strong and very much to my liking as well as the wife's with comments like oh that's very nice !!
After having my initial break in with the Muhle yesterday with its strong blade feel and loud audible feed back I was more comfortable getting stuck into a three pass shave again today. Shave was I would say more comfortable tonight with the Muhle performing reasonably well however I am still having trouble getting to a BBS shave like I can with a three pass shave when using say the Timeless, ATT or my Rockwell 6S but still a very successful shave with the Muhle and I will continue to use it over the coming days.
Cheers Tony

Day 4 (3rd Shave)
Today's joys from the P&C Travelling Box are :-
Phoenix and Beau "Spitfire" and Muhle R41 & New Voskhod.
Placed a small amount of soap into my lather bowl and with my TF synthetic started to add a little water whilst whipping up a lather. The lather formed into a nice and very creamy white lather and and seemed to work well. Scent was not very strong I found, but I definitely got that leathery Tobacco type scent from the soap. I much prefer the old time scent and performance of my Squadron soap to be honest. The lather was thick lots of cushion and residual slickness and post shave feel after felt average.
The Muhle whilst very glad I have had the opportunity to try it, I am still not convinced after three shaves that it is a razor for me or that I would add to my kit it just has too much blade feel to me which makes it feel like it is dragging across my skin.
Today's shave with the Muhle was probably the closest shave I have had so far but with some buffering and extra touch up and unfortunately my face is feeling it.
Still not as close a shave as I would expect each and every time using some of my other razors with a lot less work and absolutely no irritation.
Still a joy to be trying other kit that I might not try or have the opportunity to try so all is good.
Cheers Tony

Day 6 (4th Shave)
P&C Traveling Box.
For tonight's shave I used the Wickham Imperial Tonic and reverted back to my Timeless tonight after my shave a couple of nights ago with the Muhle which left my face a little tender.
The Wickham's lathered ok but I found it a little airy. It was of a creamy consistancy and worked reasonably well in all departments but I felt it lacked a little in overall performance too some of the other soaps I have been trying.
Post shave feel was reasonable but certainly not a standout compared to others either. Scent was very pleasant and reasonable in strength and reminded me a lot of Christmas (Cake) with a strong Marzipan/Almond type scent.
Certainly not one that I will be racing out to purchase but it was pleasant.
Getting back to the Timeless was so enjoyable and a BBS 3 pass shave was the outcome.
Cheers Guy's & Goodnight.
Z6Q1aGI.jpg

After all these reviews and the fact I can't go above a four on my slim adjustable because my beards so fine I think I'll give the R41 a pass when I get the box

Hey All,
The P&C Traveling box has now moved on, plenty soaps and splashes to try out @huntereyes_ Hope you have as much fun with it as I did and good to catch up.
Cheers
Tony

Thanks Tony! It was a pleasure to meet you today, and view some of those fine brushes up close.

I have now indeed taken possession of the infamous PCTB4a. Thanks especially to @Mark1966, @todras and Con at The Stray Whisker for putting together such a great collection of soaps, aftershaves and other software! I already own an R41, so tomorrow's shave will probably feature APR's Mycroft soap and splash alongside my trusty NEW De Luxe: I've been dying to take these products for a test run.

Day One
Please forgive me for the short delay posting this review, but certain other activities required my attention over the weekend. (Including roasting a very fine piece of pork belly.)

As promised, first up out of the travelling box was APRs Mycroft soap and splash. Describing fragrances is certainly not my forte, but as I lathered a small sample of the soap in my bowl I was met with a wonderful sweet but smoky scent, and a profuse amount of rich, creamy lather. Transferring lather from bowl to beard was similarly rewarding: this soap is slick and protective, and provided a great foundation for the rest of my shave.

I was just as impressed with the matching splash. I only obtained my first bottle of APR aftershave last week - the superb Bourbon Rose - and beyond their fine fragrances, I find the blend of ingredients particularly soothing and moisturising post-shave.

Result: BBS on top, BBS- below.

May I ask who owns the R41 in the box?

Haha fair enough, nice work gents