Popularity Contest

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
This is really one for the WA crowd.

If anyone is interested, I'm currently picking the 'dance' track on the ABC720 Morning show. This is where a Joe Punter throws out a daily tune and the other punters get to phone or text in and say if you suck and should go. It's a day to day proposition, and so far I've not sucked for 3 days. The record stay is nearly 4 weeks I think, but I'm bound to self destruct by throwing some Foo Fighters or Red Hot Chilli Peppers in at some stage, and upsetting the purple rinse crowd - this is AM talk radio after all.

If you want to listen in and hear how I fare, it's 10:30 everyday on 720 AM. Or not, if I get turfed after tomorrow's track. It's a tricky thing, you've got to crowd please and get the punters onside without playing anything too obvious (because it's been done before, or flogged to death on 70s Hits FM).

If you feel like calling or texting in and giving me a thumbs up and half a chance of stringing it out, I've got some doosies I'd like to get played. So far I've kept the punters enthralled with my impeccable taste in little-known left of centre catchy grooves. Day 1 was Heavy Cross by the Gossip, that woke a few oldies up. Then Lightning Bolt by Jake Bugg. Today I played it safe today for a sure fire homer with Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl.

I think I've got a winner for tomorrow too, but they could easily turf me with accusations of playing safe. They're a fickle bunch that AM crowd.

Last edited:
Sounds like fun - hope it goes well!

What is the definition of a "dance" track? And who wants to hear "dance" music at 7.20am? You're a dark horse Drubs.

Practically anything is a dance track if you get Doris out of her zimmer to complain about the noise from the wireless.

The guy who held on for 4 weeks got away with Nirvanas Teen Spirit and others. Nursing homes aren't what they used to be. Mantovani and James Lush would be horrified.

I'd better go tune in and see how it goes...

I see. So it's more like what's the definition of 720AM? I'm not a regular wireless listener.

Ungentlemanly! Ban Him!

Come and pick up these PSS!

How am I supposed to slink off to the golf course if I'm waiting for you to pitch :p:p

It's a fail unless you get Keef from da Prodigy yabbering on about he is a pyromaniac.

And it keeps going.

Only because I am sure 'Smack my bitch up' wouldn't fly.

He He

Tusk is playing it safe, plus the only Mac I like is the Peter Green era. Prodigy is a crash and burn option, for sure. I did put in some Killing Joke, but asked the producer to swap it out, I wanted to see how far I go. I reckon they rort it a bit if they like your picks, unless you pick something that so offends Doris, then you get turfed. One guy got Nirvana past them a couple a years ago, don't know how he managed that.

I've lined up another safe, but non-obvious option for Monday. i think you lose momentum over the weekend, so you've got to try and get them onside again.

Last edited:
Go a bit of Jack White. That Shakin song. It sounds like it might be old but is pretty new with a cool sixties twang to it.