Razorack®

Why stop at two...? [emoji11]
Hmmmm....feeling inspired.

950.jpg

il_fullxfull.716094306_5mkf.jpg

Is about as far as I would get
Tell you what Egg there might be something in this....
Hmmm..

I mean I'm surrounded by 100 acres, mostly forested. I could find a nice gnarl like this and drill holes of various sizes for DEs, SEs and straights.

Damn simple, effective and what an aesthetic.

Got a spare Redgum burl laying around per chance ?

@borked
Sorry nothing like that, just a few bits of slab that I scavenged from a 100+ year old tree that was knocked down behind the Cobargo pub back in 1992.

Ok. So this is my idea. Apologies in advance for my terrible drawing skills.

So basically my idea is a multi level one of these (for straights or de):
19658815253_5c730e6cd5_o.jpg

But what you could do is have the middle supporting pieces having both the cutouts and the grooves.

So something like this:
19657203674_0f76d441a4.jpg

Should have good airflow, and you would built it to fit a small razor, and then a long one would still sit in the cutout fine.

Thoughts?

But what you could do is have the middle supporting pieces having both the cutouts and the grooves.

So something like this:

Should have good airflow, and you would built it to fit a small razor, and then a long one would still sit in the cutout fine.

Thoughts?
A clever design. Would look good.
You could add rubber clips to hold them in tighter as well.

Wouldn't rubber clips detract from the aesthetic though?

So something like this:

Thoughts?

I like it.

I assume you'd need with "the middle supporting pieces having both the cutouts and the grooves" would have to be wider than what's in the photo - of the single storey. Otherwise the top of whatever is in the cutouts will get in the way of whatever is in the grooves. Or are you staggering the cutouts and grooves and working with the spaces in-between? Either way, I wonder how wide you'd need to go and so how wide three storeys would total?

I'm a big fan though and think the multi-storey is the way forward to store a mixture of straights and DEs ...and SEs

I like it.

I assume you'd need with "the middle supporting pieces having both the cutouts and the grooves" would have to be wider than what's in the photo - of the single storey. Otherwise the top of whatever is in the cutouts will get in the way of whatever is in the grooves. Or are you staggering the cutouts and grooves and working with the spaces in-between? Either way, I wonder how wide you'd need to go and so how wide three storeys would total?

I'm a big fan though and think the multi-storey is the way forward to store a mixture of straights and DEs ...and SEs

To answer your question more seriously this time, yeah, I'm definitely thinking that the middle section is wider than what's in the photo. I'm thinking maybe 30-40mm wide?

I hadn't thought to stagger the grooves and cutouts, but that's an option. It may not be any more functional, but aesthetically it might look nice to have the next row of razors sitting between the row below.

Having the razors staggered may make it easier to get ones in the higher levels out without knocking over the lower levels.

Possibly a little rubber or weather seal in the cutouts (thinking 0.5 - 1mm) to help minimise slipping without effecting aethetics - especially if you go a dark wood

il_fullxfull.716094306_5mkf.jpg

Is about as far as I would get[/QUOTE
C87D28DB-E892-4BEA-9B72-6739AA849B2B_zpsvpjwrfn5.jpg~original

/URL][/IMG]

3653A622-A962-4ECE-8586-34C0045AF109_zps8iatrkr1.jpg~original

99314E73-C26E-42AA-8A79-7A4855412A82_zpsrrlcyfvt.jpg~original

6EE4C5DB-FEBC-4859-AD7F-8167E2F81559_zps8j8dpsqm.jpg~original

Took my razors down to Men's Shed on the weekend to discuss how I should go about this. While I played pool and drank instant coffee (yuck) the blokes made this. Another straight turning up shortly to "join the team".
[/URL][/IMG]

Missed this thread!

I like the R&D so far...really hope a stainless steel prototype will be made soon :D :D :D