Razorack®

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Just completed v0.1 of the Razorack®.* I know it's rough, I invested near to no time in the finishing (I mean there will be no screws in the final version!). The intent here is to trial the Razorack® for a few weeks and evolve the design based on annoyances and inspiration from constant real-life use....and feedback.

So I'd be keen to hear any suggestions, input, etc. to transition to an improved v0.2 or even v1.0. Also more than happy to share measurements, design, etc. as the project develops. I intend to keep the design of the Razorack® simple, the construction low cost, and the IP under GNU licensing ;)

Kvp5iZW.jpg

XSM2ZKm.jpg

Zos2vQm.jpg

I think I'm happy enough with the width, though not quite sure about the height. Having said that it's hard to find a happy medium with the variations even in my modest selection. Also the intent is to have a few slots - probably at the ends - available for straights and SEs. Initial thinking is furthest left and right drilled wider for a straight each side and then two further wider holes for SE handles - there's no way the GEM Featherweight (on loan) will fit as is, though it looks as though the same gauge I'd use for straights would work for the SE.

* Razorack® is a registered trademark of Stillshunter Piss-Take Industries P/L

Last edited:
Stillshunter Piss-Take Industries P/L, sponsoered by ARKO!!!

Genuine suggestion, enable the heads to sit non flush, to improve air flow and ease of access to them :)
How the head on the Black Beauty sits is beautiful, would be easy to grab and great airflow around it.

Looks good. The general idea is right, all depends on what you want to make it out of, and how you want to finish it.

Some nice dark coloured hardwood pieces polished up nicely would be a nice step up. Then some edge treatment with a router to give it a nice look.

You might want to think about some brass or stainless posts to hold up the top piece instead of the wood. Or you could go to turned wood pieces too.

You were actually serious about the rack?!? [emoji15]

You were actually serious about the rack?!? [emoji15]
Well it started out a little tongue in cheek but then I thought "Why not?" I mean the way my razors are kept at the moment is mindless - they're either hidden away deep in the bowel of my drawers or strewn around the cabinet. I mean razors are not like brushes or soaps, they don't really free-stand or stack and many (of mine anyway) lay there with blades loaded. It struck me that there has to be a more convenient and safer way to organise them. So I've enough spare lumber in the shed and found myself with a bit of time this morning (a very rare commodity in my parts) so I got to work. And this was my reason for this thread. Contrary to majority opinion it was not to gain kudos for being able to use a saw, drill and a screwdriver, but I'm hoping to develop and share (by v1.0) a simple DIY design for an efficient and effective way for anyone with more than half a dozen razors, simple tools, scraps of wood, and an hour or so of spare time, to get to better organising their arsenal.

Hey if anything the road to the Razorack® has already pointed out the prevalence of 'out of sight, out of mind', and has got me thinking about using the plastic fantastics and even my birth-year Super Adjustable....

Genuine suggestion, enable the heads to sit non flush, to improve air flow and ease of access to them :)
How the head on the Black Beauty sits is beautiful, would be easy to grab and great airflow around it.
Mate a reasonable suggestion. Thank you. Do you have a simple way to achieve it? I fear simply basing the height of the Razorack® on the height of the shortest razor might make it too squat to securely house the taller ones - like the SA or a straight.

Looking good Stillsy.

Am contemplating doing something similar but was hoping to find an old wooden test tube rack at a flea market.

Mate a reasonable suggestion. Thank you. Do you have a simple way to achieve it? I fear simply basing the height of the Razorack® on the height of the shortest razor might make it too squat to securely house the taller ones - like the SA or a straight.

You could add a spacer under the shorter razors (either a ramp or steps) to give them a lift without sacrificing the support of the longer ones. Alternatively you could drill into the bottom section to allow a SA or Straight an extra level of support.

Was thinking along the lines of @StueyB suggestion.
Yet rather than at the base, under the head, so it remains uniform.
If you desire to go one step further, tilt the head 15 degrees or so, to enable excess water runoff.

Make one with a top that extend beyond the join, then you can put the long ones there.

Airflow? Get back to YKW.

I also went through the same issues Stillsy. The razor collection was a mess, the razors weren't very well protected (vulnerable to banging into each other in the designated drawer). I rarely got to see all of them at once so I could really be impulsive about which razor to use today. So, like you I started to think about there being a better way. Nothing I found on the interweb either excited me or looked very flexible, so I started to play around with alternatives.

Finally got it down to a design I liked that offered flexibility and (in my mind at least) looked good. Since I sadly don't have a workshop any more, I found a talented woodworker to make it for me based on sketches, measurements and descriptions. This is the prototype :

rack_zpsbdjcprlk.png

There are a couple of small issues that will be fixed in the next iteration, which should be underway at the moment.

I also went through the same issues Stillsy. The razor collection was a mess, the razors weren't very well protected (vulnerable to banging into each other in the designated drawer). I rarely got to see all of them at once so I could really be impulsive about which razor to use today. So, like you I started to think about there being a better way. Nothing I found on the interweb either excited me or looked very flexible, so I started to play around with alternatives.

Finally got it down to a design I liked that offered flexibility and (in my mind at least) looked good. Since I sadly don't have a workshop any more, I found a talented woodworker to make it for me based on sketches, measurements and descriptions. This is the prototype :

rack_zpsbdjcprlk.png

There are a couple of small issues that will be fixed in the next iteration, which should be underway at the moment.
Great work mate. Funny I got to thinking about @borked 's idea re: varying heights last night and then..Eureka, TWO storeys. And you did it mate. I like. I like a lot! Mate be keen if you could share these improvement ideas so we can come up with a P&C Razorack®. Any thought for housing straights in your next version?

Ooh! I just had an idea for a design... It's hard to explain. I'll try and sketch it tonight.
Again, be super keen to hear and see it mate.