September 2012 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
It's Spring! Doesn't feel like it in Sydney, it's freezing!

What's on the plane to you now? I must get some Trumper Limes soon.

Got a big order from BestShave coming in, bit of everything. Will post a pic when it gets in.

I have a BestShave order coming too, I picked up a bit of cheapo kit to take with me to Vietnam and Cambodia in November. I picked up a copper bowl, a Yuma safety razor (much rather take this $2 job than my 34C) and a No. 6 brush. Can anyone tell me roughly how long shipping generally takes from these guys?

I have a BestShave order coming too, I picked up a bit of cheapo kit to take with me to Vietnam and Cambodia in November. I picked up a copper bowl, a Yuma safety razor (much rather take this $2 job than my 34C) and a No. 6 brush. Can anyone tell me roughly how long shipping generally takes from these guys?

In my experience 2 and a bit weeks? Give or take.... Maybe 10 working days?

I got my expensive Alum block today. Now I can stop using the shards left over from when I half grabbed, half ping-pong bat slapped my old alum block into the side of the sink. Woo!

I'm tempted to order a shavette today...

I got my expensive Alum block today. Now I can stop using the shards left over from when I half grabbed, half ping-pong bat slapped my old alum block into the side of the sink. Woo!

I'm tempted to order a shavette today...

Is there a difference between cheap alum blocks and expensive ones? I must admin, I bought an expensive one (I think it was around $25) before I realised there were ones available for much cheaper. It does look like it is going to last me another 200 or so years though.

Between the two I have, the only difference I can tell is the amount of cash I am left with after buying it.

Alum is alum is alum, and a 75g block of it is going to be the same as the next, but you may find between brands that the edges of the block are straight edge, or bevelled like my new one, etc.

I was just finding that Aussie retailers were selling them for $25 a block before postage, and I found this one on ebay for about $12 shipped from the UK. I thought that was pretty good value, until Razormonsta pointed out that you can get them for stupid cheap in comparison over here.

And you're right, they do last forever - I bought my last one when I first started DE shaving in 2010, and while it was wearing down I still had a good 75% of it left. Only reason I have had to replace it was because I managed to shatter it everywhere. :laugh:

I have a few things on the way:

-bestshave order: lots of blades (Rapira and Astra), lots of #6 brushes, lots of Arko sticks
-Two new brushes- a nice horse hair and a nice Omega boar.
-A couple of vintage Gillettes: yet another 40s style Superspeed, a flair tip Superspeed I won accidentally ($12 shipped!), and another red tip Superspeed (in better cosmetic condition than my current one).

Oh and I have a few computer references books coming, but they won't be of interest to most people on here!

I picked up a GEM off eBay for $6 the other day, it looks to be in pretty crappy condition but I had a few bucks on my paypal account that were never gunna be used. I figured I can have a crack at restoration, and if it comes up okay, try what you guys call the TM. You guys have ruined me, and it's only been a month. My face thanks you, but my wallet doesn't!

Don't be so sure..... :laugh:

Aha, well if you insist...two OReilly books:

Javascript: The definitive guide
Learning PHP5

Basically, I'm looking to develop my web developing skills :)

I'm particularly liking the ideal adding of HTML5/Javascript/CSS to my toolbox of skills- I figure if I can develop on these I'm pretty much covered for any platform.

I picked up a GEM off eBay for $6 the other day, it looks to be in pretty crappy condition but I had a few bucks on my paypal account that were never gunna be used. I figured I can have a crack at restoration, and if it comes up okay, try what you guys call the TM. You guys have ruined me, and it's only been a month. My face thanks you, but my wallet doesn't!

Well you will need some SE blades then too!

I need some and will be ordering some from Connaught soon. If anybody wants any let me know and I'd be happy to split what I get.

Have you used it before?

What's it like?

Nice score btw!

I've used Figaro from the B&B travelling box. A nice soap, similar to Cella, P.160 and the other soft Italian soaps. Not something I would chase but if I came across it I would grab some - at $6 a good score IMHO!

I've used Figaro from the B&B travelling box. A nice soap, similar to Cella, P.160 and the other soft Italian soaps. Not something I would chase but if I came across it I would grab some - at $6 a good score IMHO!

Thanks I will keep a eye out for it!

Have you used it before?

What's it like?

Nice score btw!

Just tried it for the first time, it has the same scent as valobra almond but is slightly softer. Was easy to lather and provided a good shave. I couldn't refuse at that price and might have got more if I was not waiting for a large order from Bestshave. Like Mark said the Italian products a very similar, some of them are made in the same factories and about the only difference is the label.

Just tried it for the first time, it has the same scent as valobra almond but is slightly softer. Was easy to lather and provided a good shave. I couldn't refuse at that price and might have got more if I was not waiting for a large order from Bestshave. Like Mark said the Italian products a very similar, some of them are made in the same factories and about the only difference is the label.

Thanks, I haven't seen any around here! May have to look harder.

Any Canberrans seen it locally?

Thanks, I haven't seen any around here! May have to look harder.

Any Canberrans seen it locally?

No I haven't seen it around but I'm not sure I've seen any local suppliers of this sort of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.