Review Shampoo Bars - a personal journey!

Wash Two

Cleanser: Beauty and the Bees Tasmanian Real Beer Shampoo Bar
Rinse: Mazzetti Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (diluted)

Bathroom still smelling good from the shampoo bar - albeit with less intensity.

Same routine as first wash, although a little more careful pouring the vinegar rinse over my head. The experience was slightly better but still not my favourite part of this process!

Out of the shower and dried off no noticeable vinegar smell according to my wife - just a faint smell of the shampoo bar. All in all the washing was uneventful and generally pleasant.

Between washing my hair and scalp felt fine. One period where it felt a little itchy - but that could have been all in my head, it soon faded. No noticeable reaction to churn out excess oils nor any scalp irritation, flaking or dandruff.

Summing up - so far so good for me.

Last edited:
Wash Three

Bathroom still smelling good from the shampoo bar - although much more faintly

Same routine as previous washes, although a little more careful pouring the vinegar rinse over my head. The experience was slightly better but still not my favourite part of this process!

All in all the washing was uneventful and generally pleasant.

It has been three days since my last wash (TMI?) as I extended the time to see how it went. My hair and scalp felt fine overall, although my hair felt a little 'dry' on Tuesday. Apart from that no noticeable reaction to churn out excess oils nor any scalp irritation, flaking or dandruff.

This 'transition' could get quite boring - which may well be a good thing! - I will keep reporting back though to provide a bit of an update.

I tend not to bother with pouring a bucket of vinegar water over my head after a shave but what ever floats your boat.

WHAT!

You don't use a bucket of vinegar? Don't tell me you are one of those wimps who use an alum block post shave to find the micro-nicks ;)

Still keen to try this. I note that you have been using Head&Shoulders and reference lack of flakes so I presume you have an over active scalp as do I. I can't think why a shampoo bar would solve the active scalp thing but it appears to have done so so far or is it just the effects of H&S still working and the flakes are yet to return?

So did you guys just buy one soap? AusPost screws this up for me. A $12 soap bar... a little pricey but okay no dramas. Then add $9 postage.... sorry, I'm out.

Day 5 with the Shampoo Bar

Pre
: Hot water
Brush: @silver One band finest
Soap: Beauty and the Bees Tasmanian Honey Beer shampoo bar

Day 5, and I am really like it. I can notice the bar definitely getting smaller especially at the center part of the soap, but I think a bar will definitely last >1month to 2 months.
Lathered up well, and Oh shit, this is not the SOTD thread.

But I did noticed that although I felt that my hair is thoroughly cleansed, but it's no where near as dry as it normally would. I can go by without conditioner. Not looking forward to the vinegar wash, so I think I'd stay away from that for the moment.

Scent sure is good, but I shave after my shower. Usually the shave soaps over power the shampoo scent. Especially @Anthony Spice Mahogany. One of my favourite scents, which surprised me as I am not a warm scent person. I am going to order 2 more bars, and 2 face bars.

So did you guys just buy one soap? AusPost screws this up for me. A $12 soap bar... a little pricey but okay no dramas. Then add $9 postage.... sorry, I'm out.

Yea, It was kinda ouch for me as well. But after using it, the best way to go about it is to get more soaps, up to 500g. That's about 4 bars.
I am about to put in another order for 2 more shampoo bars, and 2 body and face bars. I even bought a keisoudo soap dish for the face bar.

Still keen to try this. I note that you have been using Head&Shoulders and reference lack of flakes so I presume you have an over active scalp as do I. I can't think why a shampoo bar would solve the active scalp thing but it appears to have done so so far or is it just the effects of H&S still working and the flakes are yet to return?

Well that is the $64 million question as far as I'm concerned. I did pick a shampoo bar which indicates 'Users report with dandruff/psoriasis or those with dry flaky scalps report excellent results. True blue Aussie blokes using it have commented that they are free of dandruff in two washes!' as opposed to those focused on other issues. From what I've read the ingredients do impact on the scalp and its health. I'm waiting for a month or so before calling it a success.

The postage itself is probably cost when packaging is included but yeah, like lots of suppliers you need to balance quantity with postage and find the cut offs. I notice that their US site has free postage over $50 - that sort of thing is appreciated.

Hey @silver, I notice you are a one band finest. Not 'Pure' or "Best'? I'm 'SilverTip' colour wise ;)

I know, ridiculous. In the end, I'm ashamed to admit, I bought some bars of Liggett's shampoo bars from iHerb, alongside some Thayers. Much cheaper.
If I like the switch I may purchase the aussie stuff, but for an experiment too pricey.

I'm aiming to include some samples in the PCTB4 - so what out for that :)

Hey @silver, I notice you are a one band finest. Not 'Pure' or "Best'? I'm 'SilverTip' colour wise ;)

Haha! Silver frosting!

Yes I am definitely one band Finest or Best for now. Soon it shall be Super after full nourishment from these shampoo bars. And down the road after many more years it's going to be Manchurian.

What a nerd I have become! [emoji28]

Wash Three

Bathroom still smelling good from the shampoo bar - although much more faintly

Same routine as previous washes, although a little more careful pouring the vinegar rinse over my head. The experience was slightly better but still not my favourite part of this process!

All in all the washing was uneventful and generally pleasant.

It has been three days since my last wash (TMI?) as I extended the time to see how it went. My hair and scalp felt fine overall, although my hair felt a little 'dry' on Tuesday. Apart from that no noticeable reaction to churn out excess oils nor any scalp irritation, flaking or dandruff.

This 'transition' could get quite boring - which may well be a good thing! - I will keep reporting back though to provide a bit of an update.

Those of us unlucky enough to see a photo of your wrist in a very early thread on watches do hope you are using it on more than your head. :)

Hmm, how does this compare with sulphate free shampoo/conditioner? Ive been using the organic care brand, and despite being sulphate free, i see no difference between it and any other regular shampoo/conditioner ive used.

I need to get new shampoo/conditioner myself, so i was wondering if i should try a shampoo bar this time round...$12 for one bar does seem pretty high though, does anyone know of any budget alternatives?

Hmm, how does this compare with sulphate free shampoo/conditioner? Ive been using the organic care brand, and despite being sulphate free, i see no difference between it and any other regular shampoo/conditioner ive used.

I think I will largely profess ignorance here - but I think if you look through the ingredients list of what I was using there might be a few things on the 'hit list' of nasties various people propose. There are also claims that 'soap' is better than the 'detergents' in commercial products - again though, that is above my pay grade.

I need to get new shampoo/conditioner myself, so i was wondering if i should try a shampoo bar this time round...$12 for one bar does seem pretty high though, does anyone know of any budget alternatives?

Definitely not a budget product but theses are meant to last up to six months...

This page on their site covers some of these issues - http://www.beebeauty.com.au/info-hair-care/

Oh okay, so you never tried any of the commercial sulphate free shampoos/conditioners before using this?

Oh okay, so you never tried any of the commercial sulphate free shampoos/conditioners before using this?

Nope, never looked seriously at alternative until I saw another thread on shampoo bars here and thought I'd give them a try.

I've tried the natural sulphate free shampoos, and whilst OK, in my experience the shampoo bars were clearly superior. The bars feel more gentle on the hair whilst still cleaning thoroughly, and when dry, leave my hair softer.

I've tried the natural sulphate free shampoos, and whilst OK, in my experience the shampoo bars were clearly superior. The bars feel more gentle on the hair whilst still cleaning thoroughly, and when dry, leave my hair softer.

Its a pity they cost so much though. Not to mention the shipping. I dont think ive ever seen shampoo bars in stores...

I think I will largely profess ignorance here - but I think if you look through the ingredients list of what I was using there might be a few things on the 'hit list' of nasties various people propose. There are also claims that 'soap' is better than the 'detergents' in commercial products - again though, that is above my pay grade.

Definitely not a budget product but theses are meant to last up to six months...

This page on their site covers some of these issues - http://www.beebeauty.com.au/info-hair-care/
There is a lot of tree hugging hippy shit going on with many online resources. I'm no chemist but many things that are claimed to harm couldn't possibly do so.
That's not to say there isn't crap in shampoos / shower gels that shouldn't be there (who thought plastic exfoliating beads was a good idea?), and soaps, like butter have been given a bad name by those looking to profit from their own chemically engineered products.
But you do have to be careful to sift the wheat from the chaff.

Its a pity they cost so much though. Not to mention the shipping. I dont think ive ever seen shampoo bars in stores...

One of the local online grooming sites ran a half-price run-out of DR Harris Shampoo bars -$10 as I recall. I grabbed 4. They are circular and smaller than the Beauty & the Bees bars, but come in a groovy metal case, and hence great for travel. I've tried the Arlington & Coconut varieties - both very good. I am a fan of the Arlington scent, but the Coconut slightly outperforms it (for me), and it is formulated for dry hair.
How does it compare with the Beauty & the Bees shampoo bars? Very happy to report that the local product more that matches its illustrious equivalent. My plans are to re-pack the spent DR Harris metal containers with local product.