Review Shampoo Bars - a personal journey!

@Mark1966 if I buy a Beauty and the Bees Tasmanian Real Beer Shampoo Bar, I don't really need Mazzetti Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to rinse my hair.

Because for nearly 38 years I've been using just a bar of soap to wash my hair and nothing else, I've never use shampoo from the supermarket in my life.

You mean this question? Sorry, didn't realise it was a question!

The answer is, I understand ...

There is a valid reason for the vinegar.

You can achieve similar results [pH stabilisation] with dilute lemon juice.

... this.

According to the Beauty & Bees website, their vinegar (and herbs) rinse - 'conditions the hair after shampooing adds gloss and shine, brightens natural colour, leaves hair soft and easy to comb and helps to combat dandruff and eczema Simply add 2/3 tablespoons of this to a litre of water as a final rinse.'

Elsewhere on their site they indicate - 'Natural conditioning with mineral/potassium rich Apple Cider and Herb Vinegar Conditioning Rinse which removes dulling product residues, and moisturizes hair and scalp, and detangles.'

and

'To smooth the cuticles, rinse out any remaining soap, and restore pH balance, we strongly recommend a simple natural acidulated cider vinegar rinse (2-3 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in 1 litre of warm water).

The easy way to do this is to put a couple of tablespoons of Applecider and Herb Rinse into the bottom of a litre/2 litre plastic jug, and fill from the showerhead , and use when finished- pour over head, face and body. Use this as the final rinse to achieve naturally glossy and soft, and easier to comb hair.

The slight smell of vinegar disappears when hair is dry, but if you wish to rinse again under the showerhead, the choice is yours.'

Other website on this topic have said similar things. So that is why I'm doing it.

It may well be that your hair and scalp don't need it because over the 38 years they have become pretty well adjusted - but that is just me speculating!

Hang in there mate. It's a rough ride initially but once you acclimatise it's brilliant. Your head is just craving its sulfonated alkyl benzene fix.

By the way, are you washing out the vinegar yet?
@khun_diddy - spot-on.

As a pretend hippie from the last part of the '60's we all used either dilute cider vinegar or lemon juice as a final rinse because (a) we all had long hair and (b) we were beautiful :) Maybe (b) was an extreme exaggeration but it worked very well.

I don't want to be "that guy" but personally I just get a friend who is a hair dresser to get hold of salon quality shampoo and conditioner. Doesn't have all of the crap that the supermarket brands contain and although a little more pricey it lasts a long long time.

I don't want to be "that guy" but personally I just get a friend who is a hair dresser to get hold of salon quality shampoo and conditioner. Doesn't have all of the crap that the supermarket brands contain and although a little more pricey it lasts a long long time.

You can be 'that guy' :)

Seriously happy to have alternatives here and I'm not altogether sure what I'm looking for (what 'success' will look like) but just experimenting at this stage.

You can be 'that guy' :)

Seriously happy to have alternatives here and I'm not altogether sure what I'm looking for (what 'success' will look like) but just experimenting at this stage.
Well said, @Mark1966. What works for one person may not work for another. I've personally had good success with the natural shampoo bars & apple cider/herb vinegar rinse, but don't preach this to be the only way to go.

Well said, @Mark1966. What works for one person may not work for another. I've personally had good success with the natural shampoo bars & apple cider/herb vinegar rinse, but don't preach this to be the only way to go.
Good point TomG. I didn't intend for my post to sound like that was the only way to go about things. I hope it didn't come across that way.

@nsavage - not all all, Mate. I certainly didn't take it that way. You opinion is totally valid. I've used some salon gear that has been excellent. Cheers.

Wash Seven

Cleanser: Beauty and the Bees Tasmanian Real Beer Shampoo Bar
Rinse: Mazzetti Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (diluted)

OK, scalp all over the place the last 24 hours - what is going on?

Shorter but more intense periods of itchy. Even now, not long post shower it feels 'on fire' Very curious as to why and what will happen next ...

[EDIT: an hour later and I've just realised my scalp is not itchy and hasn't been for a while]

All good @nsavage - I didn't take your comments that way.

I entitled this 'A Personal Journey' to try and convey that this is simple my record of what is happening with me rather than a normative - you must do this approach. Lots of options with hair and I would never presume to tell people what to do. So the experience of others in this regard is really welcome :)

Last edited:
Wash Eight

Washed again this morning.

Scalp has been all over the place still. Shorter but more intense periods of itchy. If this doesn't settle down to NOTHING then I'm outta here and back to the commercial stuff.

Will persist for a while longer but definitely not satisfied at present.

Last edited:
Wash Nine

Washed again this morning. No irritation of the scalp over the last couple of days - I'm happy at present ...

My hair isn't fussy it uses whatever cleaning product I throw on it. Commercial soap, shower gel, or occasionally shampoo.
However I wash mine twice a day most days. Does cleaning less regularly have any supposed benefits?

My hair isn't fussy it uses whatever cleaning product I throw on it. Commercial soap, shower gel, or occasionally shampoo.
However I wash mine twice a day most days. Does cleaning less regularly have any supposed benefits?
Hairdresser tells me that I should wash my hair 1-2 times a week at most. Apparently once per week is adequate and better for your hair.

Hairdresser tells me that I should wash my hair 1-2 times a week at most. Apparently once per week is adequate and better for your hair.

I'm certainly no expert but from what I recall of material I've read every 2-3 days seems to be the norm.

I shower twice a day and wash my hair with just water to keep my dry scalp/psoriasis under control (this happens every year and is occurring presently). If I cut my showers down to once/day my scalp gets very itchy and after 2 days starts getting dry. If I use some form of shampoo or medicated shampoo I can get out to washing every second day before the itching/flaking starts. I think this occurs during the drier months but I'm still working on that theory. The humidity and sweat seems to keep things in check for most of the year.

I'm fortunate in that I don't have any issues with dry scalp, psoriasis or dandruff. I typically wash hair three times in a week. Conventional shampoos and conditioners have worked OK for me, but moving to natural shampoo bars has resulted in softer and more manageable hair.

Wash Ten

Washed again this morning. Minor irritation of the scalp over the last couple of days - I'm still on the fence to be honest. Haircut today, we shall see if that makes a difference :)

I'm getting to the end of the bottle of vinegar - probably one wash left - but have a spray bottle made up for after that.

While I didn't weight the bar I'm actually using before commencing this journey the other one I got at the same time weighs 114g. After 10 washes this one is 58g, a loss of 56g or 5.6g per wash.

At this rate the current bar will last another 10 washes, so 20 in total, or about two months (at a wash every three days). A lot less than the six months 'claimed' -

Q: How long do the bars last?

A: This is difficult to answer as it depends on how long and thick the hair is, and how often the hair is washed.
A regular user reports that his Beer shampoo lasts for six months!
Remember that our shampoo bars are totally concentrated shampoo, with minimal water content. With proper use & care ( kept dry between uses on one of our Huon Pine Soap Savers) they should last for a long time.
And there is no plastic bottle to pollute the earth after the shampoo is used up.

[Source: http://www.beebeauty.com/info-hair-care/]