Review Shampoo Bars - a personal journey!

There is a lot of tree hugging hippy shit going on with many online resources. I'm no chemist but many things that are claimed to harm couldn't possibly do so.
That's not to say there isn't crap in shampoos / shower gels that shouldn't be there (who thought plastic exfoliating beads was a good idea?), and soaps, like butter have been given a bad name by those looking to profit from their own chemically engineered products.
But you do have to be careful to sift the wheat from the chaff.

@eggbert - agreed. A good list of ingredients in a product is encouraging. However, the concentration of said ingredients in a product is somewhat of an unknown, other than the obligation to list ingredients in descending order based upon % content.
Thus, a comprehensive list of 'goodies' in a given product can translate to lacklustre performance if said goodies are not present in sufficient concentration to result in demonstrable efficacy.
Bottom line - one ultimately judges a product upon its performance and value for money.

@Mark1966 - comparing notes on this topic. I did normal shampoo last night with the Moroccan Mud bar, and a final rinse with the Tasmanian Apple Cider and Herbs Conditioning Rinse. I worked the diluted rinse product into my hair, then rinsed out after approx 1 minute. Very faint acidic scent, which fades quickly. Hair feels noticeably softer today. My feel is that the commercial Tassie product is more dilute that an 'off the shelf' Apple Cider vinegar, so this may be worth taking into consideration.

Thanks @TomG - will bear that in mind!

Wash Four

Cleanser: Beauty and the Bees Tasmanian Real Beer Shampoo Bar
Rinse: Mazzetti Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (diluted)

Bathroom still smelling good from the shampoo bar - although barely noticable now.

Same routine as previous washes, although remaining vigilant about the vinegar. The washing was uneventful.

It has been three days since my last wash again, so a day longer than my routine with commercial products. My hair and scalp continue to feel fine overall, although my hair was a little oily this morning - so maybe it is 'transitioning' and adjusting to the new routine. I do occasionally have an itchy scalp but hard to know if this is due to thinking about it more. Certainly no flaking or dandruff.

After the next wash I might start experimenting with alternatives to the vinegar dousing. The 1:5 apple cider vinegar solution in a spay bottle left on for a couple of minutes and then rinsed out sounds appealing - will try that @khun_diddy.

So 9 days in. Still too early to call the dandruff/active scalp but only just as far as I'm concerned. Two weeks should be enough.

So 9 days in. Still too early to call the dandruff/active scalp but only just as far as I'm concerned. Two weeks should be enough.

Yeah, I'm not calling that yet. The next wash will be the same routine. If there is no problems three days later with wash six we are moving to the spray!

@Mark1966 if I buy a Beauty and the Bees Tasmanian Real Beer Shampoo Bar, I don't really need Mazzetti Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to rinse my hair.

Because for nearly 38 years I've been using just a bar of soap to wash my hair and nothing else, I've never use shampoo from the supermarket in my life.

Wash Five

Nothing really changed from previous washes BUT maybe because I'm a slow learner generally - my scalp has been really itchy a number of times since the last wash. Not bad enough that I've given in and scratched but certainly bar enough to be irritating and annoying. I would not want it to continue.

I'm curious to see how it settles down over the next little while - I sure hope that it does!

Hang in there mate. It's a rough ride initially but once you acclimatise it's brilliant. Your head is just craving its sulfonated alkyl benzene fix.

By the way, are you washing out the vinegar yet?

Hang in there mate. It's a rough ride initially but once you acclimatise it's brilliant. Your head is just craving its sulfonated alkyl benzene fix.

Yeah, it comes in waves and less frequently yesterday than the previous day. I hoping it is fading ...

No, want to get through a month with the same routine and then starting to experiment. I have a 1:5 vinegar spray bottle ready and waiting though .... :)

Ah I see. I noticed that my forehead and scalp flakes a little. But it's gone now. So that's what it is!

Wash Six

Scalp seems to have largely settled back down now. Nothing to report - all good here (y)

...but the vinegar.

Will you at some stage ditch the vinegar and see how it goes without?

...but the vinegar.

Will you at some stage ditch the vinegar and see how it goes without?

Yes.

Everything seems to have settled down now but I'm in need of a haircut - so will continue with the vinegar rinse until after the haircut to see if that has any impact.

Then move to the vinegar spray, leave on for a couple of minutes and then rinse off.

I'm in no rush, sorry :)

Yes.

Everything seems to have settled down now but I'm in need of a haircut - so will continue with the vinegar rinse until after the haircut to see if that has any impact.
Then move to the vinegar spray, leave on for a couple of minutes and then rinse off.
I'm in no rush, sorry :)

Huh? I'm not asking/expecting you to rush... Long term results is what we are after here.

Huh? I'm not asking/expecting you to rush... Long term results is what we are after here.

Yeah, I probably could do it quicker though but am trying to be systematic :)

I think we are on the same page (y)

There is a valid reason for the vinegar.

Seems to be, just that it makes a pleasant exercise unpleasant. That being the case, the benefits of said exercise have to far out weight the unpleasantness. This is yet to be determined via elimination or modification.