Shave of the day 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
You know what to do.

Not shaving today, will be in the morning. Will start the year with a fresh blade.

I'm had the 3rd shave with a feather blade this morning, and had another good shave with it.
The cost of them along with that first shave on a new blade will stop me buying more at a later date though.

I've had some lousy shaves this last week. Don't know what it is - using all my favourite stuff, but I think I might be rushing, or the face doesn't feel like it. Maybe it knows we're on holidays.

If 2013 goes as well as my New Years shave did this morning, I'll be more than happy!!
Razor: Kai Captain(older model) Blade Handle.
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Horse
Soap: T&H Trafalgar
Alum
AS: Clubman Vanilla
Balm: Lucky Tiger
Very nice 2pass shave. Clean and spruce for the whole day.

Well after an interesting experience on Monday with an SE, suffice to say that my first shave of 2013 went off without incident this morning!

The Usual Suspects:
34C
Gillette 7o'clock Yellow
TGN brush
GZD Berber stick

Nice 3 pass job to ease back into work today!
Finished with Alum and Witch hazel.

Some GFT skin food to walk out the door. Happy Days.

Had my fifth ever DE shave this morning and discovered that Astra SP blades won't stretch to 5 shaves for me. My technique and lather is improving with every shave, so I can't blame user error, however I learnt to recognise the warning signs that your blade is going off. I could feel the slight tugging and managed to nick my bottom lip while trying to get at that little tough patch under the lip on my second pass by trying to force the bluntish blade (yes, that is probably operator error).

Still, I've managed 4 DFS's and an OK shave in my noob DE career! I'm impressed with the Astra SP, it seems to live up to it's reputation as a good noob blade. I usually only shave 4 to 5 times a week, so what does that work out at? Something like 20 to 30 cents a week? Of course there is no need to mention the 100 blade sampler pack on it's way and a plethora of vintage Gillettes that I will no doubt acquire, but SWMBO doesn't need to know about them!

RAD, here I come :eek:mg:

Recently had a couple of shaves with one of the blue wrapper'd Personna Med/Lab blades (kindly donated by RM).

The first shave I had I wasn't hugely impressed, it was very similar to my impressions of the standard Personna blades. IIRC I used it in my Slim@5. Then I used it as a dedicated 2nd pass (Thomas Method) blade in the Slim again @3. This was completely different result. Was perhaps the smoothest blade I'd ever used. Very impressed with this.

Tried it again , same method - using another blade/razor and just using this for the ATG/XTG 2nd pass - worked lovely.

Will have to go back and try again with the standard Personna blades to see if they are as friendly when used in this manner. I'm thinking perhaps it's also that the Personna's work well with a less aggressive razor. IIRC I've not tried them in something like this as a first pass solution (had only tried in a Red Tip and wasn't impressed) - might give them a whirl in the 40's Style SS (which is the closest to a demure razor that I have, unless I borrow the Missus's Tech).

............Then I used it as a dedicated 2nd pass (Thomas Method) blade in the Slim again @3............

Unless you're using an SE for the first pass (I've never seen an SE posting from you, so I'm assuming this is not the case), it can't per definition be a Thomas Method shave. If it's a two razor DE shave it could be classified as Thomas Methodesque but really should have another name as this malarky is confusing enough as it is. Maybe you can officially unveil it as a new method. The NTF Method perhaps?

Unless you're using an SE for the first pass (I've never seen an SE posting from you, so I'm assuming this is not the case), it can't per definition be a Thomas Method shave. If it's a two razor DE shave it could be classified as Thomas Methodesque but really should have another name as this malarky is confusing enough as it is. Maybe you can officially unveil it as a new method. The NTF Method perhaps?

I concur - perhaps you can call it the DE Squared or Double DE Method. The true TM requires an SE blade for its first pass.

Had two amazing shaves the last two days! Finally got around to using the Bostonian I received for Father's Day.

I had been putting it off as:

A. I didn't want to damage the razor further as it needs someone repair
B. I didn't think it could get any better than the 34C I've been using.

Boy was I wrong.

Both shaves with a Gillette 7O'clock Yellow.
And .... Arko yesterday and Cella today, both with the TGN brush.

Was two of the best shaves I've ever had. Equal to the Merkuer and I'm sure with practice probably better.

I feel daft for putting it off for so long TBH.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Absolutely correct! The world famous Thomas Method is a carefully balanced fusion of SE and DE - it is the Ying and Yang of wetshaving! The integrity of the world famous Thomas Method must be maintained.

I concur - perhaps you can call it the DE Squared or Double DE Method. The true TM requires an SE blade for its first pass.

Thank you for these wise words, sensei, the world famous Thomas Method must not be corrupted.

Had two amazing shaves the last two days! Finally got around to using the Bostonian I received for Father's Day.

Was two of the best shaves I've ever had. Equal to the Merkuer and I'm sure with practice probably better.

I feel daft for putting it off for so long TBH.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

The NEW and the NEW Improved are great head designs

Absolutely correct! The world famous Thomas Method ............The integrity of the world famous Thomas Method must be maintained...........Thank you for these wise words, sensei, the world famous Thomas Method must not be corrupted.........

He doesn't need this. He can barely fit his head through the average door as it is!

He doesn't need this. He can barely fit his head through the average door as it is!

You gotta throw these old dogs a bone or two ... :)

Been using a gillette 365 for the last few shaves with the SS flare mostly. I got 4 good shaves with tabac, mennen stick and spray foam(sorry) all with cold water. Not bad for an apparently cheap indian blade.

Re the "Thomas Method", sometimes I use SE, sometimes an angry DE, but it's always a TM in my mind. The choice of first pass depends on length of hair, what blades are already loaded, or what razor hasn't had a go for a while. Always finishing with the superspeed flaretip.

My daily posts would be boring. How many times can you write HD / Proraso?

I have broken out the Slim the last few days, and it's been better than previous attempts. I work on finding the sweet spot, rather than getting really close, and the reverse logic works (not so with Mark's loaners though). Still crank the mild mutherfarther to 7, cos it's a bit of a wimp.

After my long sojourn on the traveling blades section I have returned to the SOTD.

First shave back was interesting - popped a new SE blade into my trusty Junior - it didn't look quite right so I fiddled with it (note - too lazy to go back to the lounge room and get my glasses).
Scrubbed on some Arko and away I went. First point of difference to the Spoiler et al - they didnt leave a long red streak down my cheek! Finished off very very carefully and rinsed the tattered remains of my face off in cold water.

Not surprisingly I left the next shave for several days (scar tissue had to build up). This time I took the glasses and adjusted the blade correctly. Funnily enough it made a tremendous difference. Just got the lovely scraping sound of SE against whiskers and finished off with the Spoiler still sitting in the Slim (now I know why I missed the TM so much).

Ouch ouch ouch!

This!
Also not a great advertisement for either the SE OR TM Method.

I certainly won't be subscribing to your podcast just yet GT

No No mot the fault of Se shaving or the TM - The fault of the idiot who tried to put a blade in a razor when he couldn't see properly - second shave was terrific.

Sounds nice and painful! Sorry to hear GT.

I had a nice TM shave on Friday (I think) it was, as always, great.

Status
Not open for further replies.