Shave of the day 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Shick Platinum Plus, 6 shaves down
  • Fatboy on 7
  • TOBS Almond
  • Smoggie 730HD

The TOBS was quite firm, had to put it into the bowl and lather off that snoodle.

First pass was quite thin on the lather but the second was much better. Good shave in the end, but don't think I will be buying TOBS Almond. I have enough Cella and P.160 for my Almond fix.

Semogue 830
P.160 morbido
*Fathandled New OC* - new entry
Permasharp Super (1)
WH
Marco and Stella ASB

PJ kindly loaned me an open comb razor to try before Xmas and I finally got to take it out for a spin through 4 days of growth. Looking like an escapee from the land that chrome forgot I took the copper and brass device to my face with a slightly shaking hand...

Really good first pass in general. The razor feels like it could easily be induced to bite with a careless stroke but I showed it some respect, particularly around the curve of the chin. The PSS felt really sharp and effective so the design is not a mild one.

Second pass was good. The OC seems quite effective on the neck.

Third pass was just an easy ATG on the face.

Certainly worth another few shaves with to see if I can improve shaving around the chin. It felt like it needed more effort to get nice and close but I suspect that was the operator and not the tool.

• Voskhod blades
  • Weber SS razor
  • MNS Bay Rum
  • Vie Long Peleon

Well first time I'd ever used the Voskhod's, which were kindly swapped or given to me by JugV2 IIRC. :) Alas my first impression of them in the Weber was OUCH....tugged on my stubble like a 6 use old Astra. Had to force myself to complete the WTG first pass.....was without doubt the WORST blade I've completed an entire pass with. Others that are that tuggy end up in the dreaded old pill bottle with the slit cut in the top......blade cemetery!!!

Anyway I thought it might be a situation where the blades are best suited to quite a mild razor (the Weber is quite agro) so before I binned it I put it into my Slim@3 for the 2nd pass. Wow what a change.....was VERY smooth and did a great 2nd pass.

Definitely reinforces my theory that only certain blades work well in aggressive razors. Will be interested to try on a first pass in the Slim or something similar (40's Style SS etc) to see how it goes.

Recently purchased a "Feather" folding razor on eBay that came in today. Got it at a unrealistically low price. Came in today . While it holds a Feather Proguard blade well; it doesn't open like other Feathers. Still it shaves very well.
Razor: Feather clone??
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Boar
Soap: T&H Sandalwood
Alum:
AS: Thayer Rose
Balm: Nivea for Sensitive Skin.
Still confirms my feeling that its the Blade that matters with Feather not the Handle!

Shave four today with my Ebay slim. The Weishi that I started DE shaving with is now buried in a drawer somewhere.. Started with the slim at 3 and was happy. Today I worked my way up to 5 and with an Astra SP that is my sweet spot! 2 1/2 passes and absolute BBS. Even now, some 14 hours later it still feels better than five minutes after a Mach 3 shave. SWMBO is looking at me strangely wondering why I'm fondling my face whilst typing :blink:

There is no way that I will need a shave tomorrow which is a shame as I'm busting to try out the NOS Spoilers I got with the slim. I thought it was better to learn using the slim with a blade I was familiar with before testing another blade. Looking forward to Saturday and a shave with the Spoiler (might crank the slim back to 4 for the first shave).

WOOT, WOOT - gotta love those Slims!

They are a great razor :)

Yep, love the Slim. I've got lots of AD's but can't see razors being one of them. I can't see any reason to go past the Slim, it's the perfect tool for the job... I just need to find a G3 Slim in any old condition and I'll send it here , get it Rhodium plated and it will see me out!

Yep, love the Slim. I've got lots of AD's but can't see razors being one of them. I can't see any reason to go past the Slim, it's the perfect tool for the job... I just need to find a G3 Slim in any old condition and I'll send it here , get it Rhodium plated and it will see me out!

LOL - I once said that I couldn't see why anybody would need more than one razor and look what happened to me!

BTW - be careful we RE - their QC is a little variable :(

There is no way that I will need a shave tomorrow which is a shame as I'm busting to try out the NOS Spoilers I got with the slim. I thought it was better to learn using the slim with a blade I was familiar with before testing another blade. Looking forward to Saturday and a shave with the Spoiler (might crank the slim back to 4 for the first shave).

Good man. You might want to get a few more shaved under your belt with it first... but the Spoilers will definitely have you trawling eBay looking for more!

If you feel like dropping by my place, a 10-pack of NOS GBE's are yours. Should be able to scrape together a few other blades for you too.

Thanks for the kind offer RM, I'll take you up on it one day :) I've currently got about 100 blades in stock, which I know is about 0.00000001 % of your collection :eek:mg: so I want to try a few of them first and then I'll stick out the begging bowl!

Thanks for the kind offer RM, I'll take you up on it one day :) I've currently got about 100 blades in stock, which I know is about 0.00000001 % of your collection :eek:mg: so I want to try a few of them first and then I'll stick out the begging bowl!

I wonder if you'll end up like I have. I have twenty-one different blades in my container to try out, I don't have enough beard to get through 'em! Anytime I begin to make some progress going through them, I find a couple of new ones to refill the box.

P.160 Morbido
Semogue 830 - Sensational Handles'r'Us
Slim (6,6,4)
Personna Super Stainless (1)
Alphabet Soup Alum via Bestshave
MARCO! & Stella ASB

First crack with a couple of different items this shave. The Personna I have detailed in the appropriate vintage blade thread. The Alum block...I really didn't know what to expect. I feared serious flaws in my technique were about to be exposed via searing pain.

Wet face, wet block rubbed it around. A slight tingle on the sides of the adams apple where I got a little enthusiastic with how well the shave was going. Alum tastes interesting! Left it for a few minutes. Skin was getting a nice tack to it. Washed it off (I think you're supposed to? ) and followed up with some ASB. You must need to do a number on yourself to get burned by Alum I guess.

Really great shave and the post shave treatment seemed to work fine.

2 days shave's...

• Merkur 37c
  • Gillette Super Silver (from PiF box - thanks to whoever it was :)
  • La Toja
  • Jaguar brush

These were the quite vintage looking Gillette Super Silvers. First impression was very sharp, the Merkur almost fell through the hair like a hot knife on butter! Very nice shave. No irritation and a good level of smoothness as well. Nice blades.

A couple of days later:
  • Weber SS razor
  • Gillette Silver Blue (thanks RM)
  • MNS Coconut
  • #6 Horse

Alas this shave was roughish from the first stroke. After all the talk I was expecting a VERY sharp blade but it didn't feel anything more than average in this regard. Also really lacked in the smoothness area. Was actually quite an unenjoyable shave. A couple of very small nicks, but otherwise without anything spesh. Will have to try in another razor as the Silver Blue didn't shine at all for me.

MUM-zoned without even getting a start. Harsh PJ!

Well no, there were just enough blades for one each on the list and I'd just finished the Personnas (I think or there were not enough of them left or something) and offered this as a vintage alternative. It was altruism SYD, not MUM-zone-ism. Have you started shaving again? I thought you were attempting to become a bearded hun. By the way, have you tried the fat handled New yet?

Well no, there were just enough blades for one each on the list and I'd just finished the Personnas (I think or there were not enough of them left or something) and offered this as a vintage alternative. It was altruism SYD, not MUM-zone-ism. Have you started shaving again? I thought you were attempting to become a bearded hun. By the way, have you tried the fat handled New yet?

I find THIS to be most helpful.

...and to think you call yourself a moderator tsk tsk tsk

I find THIS to be most helpful.

...and to think you call yourself a moderator tsk tsk tsk

Allright...allright....so the New might work out for you. That's good. I found it pretty mild as far as OCs go. But you never know with them, there's always the blood bath in the back of you mind when shaving with OCs.

I don't call myself a moderator. I discovered out of the blue that I was going to be called a moderator. Believe me, if I ever do anything vaguely moderatorish, I'll resign immediately and join a monestary or become a Buddhist or maybe a gun running preacher man.

Last edited:
P.160 Morbido
Semogue 830 - Sensational Handles'r'Us
Slim (6,6)
Personna Super Stainless (2)
Proraso Splash

Two passer. Personna was a bit smoother this time around, still awesome sharp. First pass was XTG on the neck and it went very well.

Nice shave and the proraso is just the best finish in the heat.

Pretty boring shave for me.

Semogue LE Boar
R41
Voskhod
Proraso Green original tube - it's almost finished

TOBS Eaton AS to finish

Always a brilliant shave with this combo, despite nothing exotic in the mix.

I find myself gripping the razor up close to the head when I use this and I think it gives more control.

Works for me anyway, dunno about the rest of you lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.