Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing too exotic for me at the moment:

British Fat-handled Tech
Feather
Arko
Tweezerman brush
Speick balm

I should do a mini-review of the Tweezerman sometime: it's proving to be a great 'bang-for-buck' badger brush (say that five times fast!).

• Vintage Personna Super Stainless blade, 4th shave
  • Fatboy on 7
  • Proraso Original
  • Smoggie 730HD

Nice shave this morning, one nick as I wasn't paying attention. Nothing outstanding, nothing wrong with it either, just felt like I was in the groove.

• Gillette Silver Blue (4th use I think)
  • Gillette Slim (5/3)
  • MNS Bay Rum
  • #6 Horse

Very so so shave, I think thats all she wrote for the 'Silver Blue' - can't say I was impressed after using in several razors. Dunno, blades can be odd like that. Several lil spots but nothing that needed even an alum to stop. The #6Horse is definitely THE bargain brush in the world, I've found they last very well and very rarely shed if you treat it decently and hang properly after use etc...very rarely fail to get a good effort from it.

Just to add my little bit in. TM shaves for the last three - using tabac soap some brush or other (sort of lost track of whats what in teh brush dept).
Still using the Spoiler in the Slim at 7 for the second pass. Perfection as normal.

Arko Stick
Frankshave Silvertip
Slim (6,6,4)
Personna Super Stainless (3)
Alum
MARCO! and stella ASB

First crack with the famed Arko. Don't see what all the fuss is about the scent. Just a sweet lemon smell. A bit generic cleanser but unlikely to upset the spouse as much as many other scents. Stupid easy to produce gobs of lather. I did think the the personna had a noticeable step down in smoothness so I'll have to admit I may not have nailed it this time but the potential is obvious.

Still a very good shave and the sharpness on the personna is top notch. I'll go with the P.160 next shave and see about the smoothness. This blade could go Astra on me if the decline in smoothness is confirmed.

Nothin' wrong with Arko. Because it's cheap and it has a simple lemon scent it gets caned. If it was 10 times the price people would be extolling it's subtle fruity scent and excellent lathering characteristics. I'm digging my stick out for the next shave.

Nothin' wrong with Arko - except it STINKS!

Fixed that for you.

Seriously, it is not about the price it is a great soap in terms of efficacy but why bother if you don't like the dunny cleaner smell? Give me Proraso any day, or Cella, or Tabac etc etc etc

Fixed that for you.

Seriously, it is not about the price it is a great soap in terms of efficacy but why bother if you don't like the dunny cleaner smell? Give me Proraso any day, or Cella, or Tabac etc etc etc

So would I. Tried Arko in a trade from Nick. It reminded me of a spearmint chewy that was popular when I was a kid, but only close up to the puck, the further you get way from it, the more toilet-lolly it gets. I lathered some up, and the wife came in asked if the cat had pissed in the bathroom and started sniffing at the bathmat...That's why the fuss over the smell, some people just can't stand the stuff.

It shaved ok, but nothing I cant live without.

Yeah, there are better smells but there are a lot worse. Valobra for instance. I'm still utterly baffled as to how they ever decided in the Valobra smell department that this was it.

I'm shaving with Arko for a whole week. Bugger youze all!

Last edited:
Yeah, there are better smells but there are a lot worse. Valobra for instance. I'm still utterly baffled as to how they ever decided in the Valobra smell department that this was it.

I'm shaving with Arko for a whole week. Bugger youze all!

True, there are worse.

I had a stick of Arko for ages. Every so often I'd think, yeah what people say is true, this stinks, give it 'one last use' go, yeah it stinks but it works pretty well and put it back it the drawer. Eventually though I just decided life is too short to stick with a shaving soap you don't really like!

You enjoy your week of Arko on the other side of the country :D

As has been said many times, Arko is a 'love it or hate it' kind of affair.

I have already mentioned what side of that particular fence I fall on, but just to remove all doubt

IMG_20130107_143152.jpg

:laugh:

I will admit that it isn't my favourite scent though (as much as I do like it)- that crown goes to TOBS Sandalwood.

Today was a sweet shave :)
Omega badger
Dovo stainless
Loc Cade soap
Finished of with jojoba oil
And a quick brushing of the head with kent brush!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359510307.600568.jpg

True, there are worse.

No. There isn't. Really. While I could have put up with it, I'd always be thinking 'I'll get used to this soon'. and I don't think I really would. It doesn't shave that great either. It's pretty good for $4, but nothing worth keeping at my place, when for a few $ more speick is vastly superior to me.

Just had a wonderful Arko shave. Still getting wafts of citrus like I'm wondering through an orchard on a fine summer's day.

• MNS Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
  • Smog 2000 (from trade with Drubbing)
  • Merkur 37c
  • Gillette Super Silver (4th or so)

Decent shave - just a single pass only as the missus was trying to use our cramped lil bathroom as well. First thoughts on the Smog 2000 I recently acquired from our WA chapter? Decent brush, very similar to the Omega 10005 but with around 3-5mm less loft and less backbone - which is odd as it seems a more dense knot. Definitely softer tips than the Italian. Quite nice to use, though not a big holder of lather. Nice brush though and definitely nice to have in the rotation.

The Gillette SUper Silver is definitely a nice blade - still giving very good shaves in the Slant - a single pass was more than acceptable without any irritation at all.

My Sympathy

To all of you non SE shavers. Just lathered up with some Speick and set to with the Featherweight and a shave 4 blade. Six days growth and I could hear every hair as it was removed. Super close had a finishing lash with the Slim for forms sake but happy to be back in SE heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.