Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you think said Coasties go when people flock to their turf ?

Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 Silvertip

Razor: Rocket HD

Blade: English Wilky

Soap: Wickhams Southsea Spray

A/S: Aqua Velva

Brush: Omega little pig
Pre-Shave: Proraso Pre/Post Cream
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven 'Forbidden Forest' (v2) (Thanks @Nonick)
Razor: PH Weber
Blade: Voshkod [3]
After-shave: Myrsol Metisol

I just love adding a little Proraso Pre/Post cream to the face before the shave. It provides a menthol kick to the shave, and you can even feel the iciness right through to the final rinse.

The second version of Shaver Heaven Forbidden Forest just improves on the first IMHO. The scent is better balanced with the lather just as thick and creamy. Definitely a winner.

How the hell are you on your second tub of Shaver Heaven Forbidden Forest cream in one month?

/Oh a Nonick sample

o185T2L.jpg

Been ages since I've face lathered. Was blissful with the Thater Silvertip. Funny I once found the NEW UK LC so good, but I now I think it nowhere as smooth or efficient as the Fatip or R41. I'll try it again with something other than the Personna Blue onboard. Gotta say, it completely and utterly confounds me how anyone would rub their face with a Turkish toilet puck when other budget shave sticks such as La Toja exist? That and the Agua Balsamica, top stuff!

Last edited:
Good one Phil. Err anyone want to pre buy my coming maggards samples? [emoji11]
Ah-ha! I've just read Maggard's instructions for their sample soaps. For a sample of their soap, you are meant to dig it all out of the sample container and then press it into a bowl or container. You then load and lather as per normal. (For creams, it's simply scoop out what you need.)
That makes more sense than what I was trying to do. I'll give it another go and should come up with a better result.

Jermyn St TOBS cream
Omega 10005
ERR
Started with voskhod on 3
Finished with polsilver blue
Floid vigoroso
Alcolado glacial

Started with the voskhod that hasn't felt too great for the previous 2 shaves but gave up after 2 strokes. It was tugging and felt very uncomfortable. Must have been something up with that blade.
Swapped to one of the blue polsilver blades @borked sent me and instantly much nicer. Very sharp and smooth. Hopefully it was just that the voskhod was a dud blade and not that vintage blades have spoiled them for me.

Not sure what I should do with the menthol crystals so I just chucked one of them in the floid until it dissolved and then splashed it on. Not bad, but as nothing compared to the alcolado glacial au naturel.

Brush: HMW 12
Cream: XPEX original
Razor: Razor rock slant
Blade: Feather

I intend on posting a detailed review of this razor shortly as I continue to use it and give a fair go over number of shaves. Looking positive as I am getting better and better shaves as my technique builds with this razor.

CRSW Classic Savon #1
Muhle blade (3 or 4)
Gillette Redtip SS
Plisson Synth

Firstly the CRSW soaps are absolutely superb, lather, slickness, post-shave - absolutely top shelf. Very strong scents and even though this one is perhaps my least fave I could quite easily live with it as a rotation scent. Amazingly little loading needed and the lather is generated in no time at all. I've noticed CRSW getting more and more hype over at the US forums and feel they will be a brand to break out in 2015.

The Plisson is very good - albeit not the all-world brush that I was initially feeling it might be. It doesn't hinder the shave at all - but a tad larger knot might be needed to achieve that accolade. But it's super simple to use, gives consistantly excellent results with all types of soaps and is very easy to maintain. You also have to like that as with all synths they're basically guaranteed not to ever shed, which would drive me spare if I had a nice badger that did that (thankfully all of my natural brushes have avoided this malaise).

The Muhle did well but as has been established it's essentially a Persona Super Plat and as such the perfomance is good but not great....had to change it out towards the end for a Polsilver Brown(2) and this was vastly superior

CRSW Classic Savon #1
Muhle blade (3 or 4)
Gillette Redtip SS
Plisson Synth

Firstly the CRSW soaps are absolutely superb, lather, slickness, post-shave - absolutely top shelf. Very strong scents and even though this one is perhaps my least fave I could quite easily live with it as a rotation scent. Amazingly little loading needed and the lather is generated in no time at all. I've noticed CRSW getting more and more hype over at the US forums and feel they will be a brand to break out in 2015.

The Plisson is very good - albeit not the all-world brush that I was initially feeling it might be. It doesn't hinder the shave at all - but a tad larger knot might be needed to achieve that accolade. But it's super simple to use, gives consistantly excellent results with all types of soaps and is very easy to maintain. You also have to like that as with all synths they're basically guaranteed not to ever shed, which would drive me spare if I had a nice badger that did that (thankfully all of my natural brushes have avoided this malaise).

The Muhle did well but as has been established it's essentially a Persona Super Plat and as such the perfomance is good but not great....had to change it out towards the end for a Polsilver Brown(2) and this was vastly superior

I was interested in the Savon. How would you describe the scent in everyday terms?

I was interested in the Savon. How would you describe the scent in everyday terms?
Well I've dragged the Savon #1 & #2 over to the PC to sniff as I write. Obviously these are in the jar sniffs - which can vary a bit from the product when in use but obviously pretty indicative.

Savon #1.
Lavender dominates. You do get something in the mid-range of it as well thats warm. But it's essentially a lavender soap albeit a quite nicely rounded light one. As per their site it's lavender, cedar (which is the mid) and also green herbals (ok I can kind of get this but if you didn't tell me it'd be tough to guess)

Savon #2 (which is off their site at present)
It's fresh and light and heavily citrus oriented (however nothing like Arko!) - very zingy

I like both of the above but IMHO there's considerably superior scents in their range.

Brush: Smog 1305
Razor: Fatip (Piccolo)
Blade: Personna Blue
Soap/Cream: Johnny Goodsir
Aftershave: Johnny Goodsir

Wanted to see how the Fatip compared to the (yesterday's SOTD) NEW LC. The Fatip is definitely the smoother shave, yet I also think it the more aggressive. Like to try a NEW SC to see whether there's a difference. Nothing smells as good to my nose as the JGS soap - great lather too. The AS is soothing but lacks the bite I'm used to from the likes of the Floid. The Smog does OK in a bowl, still reckon the Omega knot is better all-round but.

gLQJQZ5.png

Brush: Plisson synthetic
Soap/Cream: Haslingers "Ringelblumen" (Calendula/Marigold)
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra [1]
After-shave: Myrsol Emulsion

Popped out the Haslingers today since @nav1 rated it as his favourite of all the Haslingers soaps. These little soaps, made by a small family company in Austria, always produce a good lather.

Brush: Plisson synthetic
Soap/Cream: Haslingers "Ringelblumen" (Calendula/Marigold)
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra [1]
After-shave: Myrsol Emulsion

Popped out the Haslingers today since @nav1 rated it as his favourite of all the Haslingers soaps. These little soaps, made by a small family company in Austria, always produce a good lather.

...and the Weber mate, how's it fare, esp. loaded with a GBE?

Status
Not open for further replies.