Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on razor and soap?
Razor is very smooth and comfortable. Strangely enough it ploughs though the stubble with ease. Perhaps too much as I find my neck area under the chin developing a couple of possible ingrowns. [emoji53] Very unusual. I've had it happen after shaving with a slant but not a closed bar.

It was my first time with Ginger's Garden. Solid soap all round but nothing outstanding. Scent is similar to B&M Prototype #1 - a cologne style scent.

A little rushed today - too cold to get out of bed - so I may have skimped a little on the prep and felt a few tugs around the chin with the La Brunes today.
To be fair, if it has made 9 shaves then the shave experience will not be the same as the first two. You generally need to slow down the strokes, and pay more attention on the chin and neck. Still a serviceable blade - you just have to work for the result. I think you will notice the difference when you go back to a modern blade though ;)

How is the Latha going for you? Getting that thick yet slick youghurt consistency from it?

Finally a really ugly morning here and a great excuse to get out some Haslinger Schafmilch. I so love the performance of this soap - if they would do this with a decent scent, it would be my #1 soap....if you don't believe me:

PaladinbChiefHaslingerS_zpsin5b1okf.jpg

I just test lathered the Haslinger you gave me. Superbly slick yet also pillowy. I even love the scent. So I'm really looking forward to tonight's shave.

I wish I could give you guys my soap, unfortunately it is just a hobby and I have no legal permission to sell or give it away.
Do you need legal permission to send a friend a birthday gift ?
If no, I do have a birthday soon :)

@Mark1966 never has just one of anything...

He might have a few of course. I do recall him buying at least one, just in case there are budding SE shavers (@stillshunter ) looking for one. They were NOS from memory with a case. Although most, including me, would have cut their teeth with a GEM 1912, I think the Featherweight or G-bar (never had one of those but general opinion is that's it's very similar) would be the one to try first up. If it's too mild I'm sure, even amongst the few SE shavers here, that other options such as the 1912 can be lent or sold at a very reasonable price. I've got a couple of 1912s I'm happy to sell off.

Of course once the initial hump of SE razors has been negotiated it's ARKO next.

Last edited:
What's Japanese for "drool"? I'm not reading the bloody bits, just drool....

Gee Stillsy, this isn't the first time I've seen you admiring the idea of a Kamisori. Just do it mate - take a spin up to Ebay and get yourself one. You know you want to... (y)Seriously, as @Mark observed to me (and I agree 100%) just about any genuine Japanese made Kamisori is going to be a high quality item. You don't have to spend a lot to get a really nice 2nd hand unit, or a decent brand new one.

Also, a sincere vote of thanks for all the kind encouragement from @alfredus, @Lifes a Peach and @StueyB - much appreciated guys :)

The barber pole was my first razor and it is just so easy to use, it was the perfect introduction to DE shaving.

It was my first too - my son is using it now ...

Gee Stillsy, this isn't the first time I've seen you admiring the idea of a Kamisori. Just do it mate - take a spin up to Ebay and get yourself one.
Or sign up for the 1 day workshop to make two of them by yourself... We've mentioned it a few times before on this site...

To be fair, if it has made 9 shaves then the shave experience will not be the same as the first two. You generally need to slow down the strokes, and pay more attention on the chin and neck. Still a serviceable blade - you just have to work for the result. I think you will notice the difference when you go back to a modern blade though ;)

How is the Latha going for you? Getting that thick yet slick youghurt consistency from it?

I'm kind of dreading going back to a modern blade - not sure whether to try to ease my self back with a Polsilver SI or PermaSharp or drop myself in the deep end with a derby

The Latha is wonderful, it can take a huge amount of water but still stay thick and cushioning. Yet still very serviceable when I face lather and don't get quite enough water in the lather.
Between it and the Shaver Heaven soaps I'm fine until summer. Hopefully @Anthony will have a menthol soap for the hotter months.

Beer: @boldsworth Stout
Razor: Micromatic Clog Pruf
Blade: Gem
Brush: S10108
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

That was one of the best shaves of my life.

Last night I happily discovered a bottle of stout @boldsworth had given me a while ago in a cupboard. I put it in the fridge and I enjoyed it tonight prior to the shave. It was very good stuff. I'd planned to use the 1912 but the stout sidetracked me towards the Clog Pruf. Of the four SEs I have on loan, the Clog Pruf was the least appealing to me on first reckoning. Partly due to appearance and partly the dorky name. But so far it has easily given me the best shave of the three I've tried. I think it's the R41-esque clopen comb design and the huge blade gap that suits my whiskers. Although it's undoubtably more 'aggressive' it is still entirely as 'mild', if not 'milder' than the Featherweight and the MMBT.

It was my first shave with the Haslinger @alfredus gave me. Amazing soap mate - simply outstanding. Right up there with MWF for sure. It's yet another soap I need to buy ASAP and my cart at G&C has been updated accordingly. Once again the lanolin slickness felt right with the firm SE blade. The post-shave is fantastic.

Finished off with the classic Clubman. It'd been too long between drinks.

Last edited:
Looks like you will really enjoy the MM Open Comb now you have experienced the Clog Pruf. As my son has christened the MMOC -- " It is a blade on a stick"

Steve

nah - this is a blade on a 'stick' -

Status
Not open for further replies.