Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just add 3-4 drops of water onto the brush and work it in to orbit planet face, another 3-4 drops and work it in with a reverse orbit on planet face, repeat orbiting until no further orbits required.
...then to orbit enough times arounds with Starship R41 until then there is no longer a Planet Face to orbit.

20150709_SOTD_NOTS_zps8owrtlgg.jpg

What a crazy day today - it started around 3 am Adelaide time when @Lifes a Peach and I started to text each other while lining up for the TSN LE Paladin brush :D :D :D

Took my SOTD picture a bit later and was about to start my shave, when my tiller called and then I had to run errands for him and then he called again...at one time ~2pm a package from @Lifes a Peach turns up - and upon opening it and opening the inside - I had to re-take my SOTD picture!

20150709_SOTDS_zps7iscbhpw.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Gillette Rubie (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Cold River Soap Work Select Savon # 1
Post-shave: Alum, Ghanese Organic Unrefined Shea Butter, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

I don't know why how deserved this - but thank you so much! What a fantastic soap, the scent is unbelievable, exactly the Lavender hit I love with some earthy tones to carry it. It lingers with you for a while after the shave, which again I so much enjoy. Don't need to say anything about the performance - it is definitely a winner and has won one of the top spots in my rotation - thank you again @Lifes a Peach !!!

The blade was very nice, after the last disaster, maybe not quiet as smooth as Voskhod and Ladas, but definitely up there. It will stay in the razor for another shave.

Now the wait for the Butterscotch begins ;)

Brush: Duke 2
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Vintage French Nacet (3)
Soap: Washpool Farm V.2
A/S: Aqua Velva

Decided to give the Chubby a rest today, back to the ever reliable Duke 2, nowhere near as nice but still very good. The Washpool V.2 is certainly different to the V.3 I used yesterday, not as easy and quick to lather as the V.3 and it certainly is a lot more drying on the skin even with lanolin added.

What a fantastic soap, the scent is unbelievable, exactly the Lavender hit I love with some earthy tones to carry it. It lingers with you for a while after the shave, which again I so much enjoy.
Do yourself a favour and grab a B&M Black Label Lavender while you can in that case mate :)

20150709_SOTD_NOTS_zps8owrtlgg.jpg

What a crazy day today - it started around 3 am Adelaide time when @Lifes a Peach and I started to text each other while lining up for the TSN LE Paladin brush :D :D :D

Took my SOTD picture a bit later and was about to start my shave, when my tiller called and then I had to run errands for him and then he called again...at one time ~2pm a package from @Lifes a Peach turns up - and upon opening it and opening the inside - I had to re-take my SOTD picture!

20150709_SOTDS_zps7iscbhpw.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Gillette Rubie (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Cold River Soap Work Select Savon # 1
Post-shave: Alum, Ghanese Organic Unrefined Shea Butter, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

I don't know why how deserved this - but thank you so much! What a fantastic soap, the scent is unbelievable, exactly the Lavender hit I love with some earthy tones to carry it. It lingers with you for a while after the shave, which again I so much enjoy. Don't need to say anything about the performance - it is definitely a winner and has won one of the top spots in my rotation - thank you again @Lifes a Peach !!!

The blade was very nice, after the last disaster, maybe not quiet as smooth as Voskhod and Ladas, but definitely up there. It will stay in the razor for another shave.

Now the wait for the Butterscotch begins ;)

So did you and @Lifes a Peach succeed in securing a brush? It looked a nice handle and knot....

So did you and @Lifes a Peach succeed in securing a brush? It looked a nice handle and knot....
I don't want to talk about @Lifes a Peach - he can reveal it himself ...

As for me: YEEEESSSSS!!!

I know it's going to be a spectacular brush and Ken hinted its going to be some months before there is a chance to obtain a Dark Holler again, so I just couldn't pass the opportunity :D

Do yourself a favour and grab a B&M Black Label Lavender while you can in that case mate :)
I really can't spend any $$$ at the moment, and have enough soaps for...a long time and I already have the B&M Cheshire, which hits the brief nicely ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really can't spend any $$$ at the moment, and have enough soaps for...a long time and I already have the B&M Cheshire, which hits the brief nicely ;)
It's a part of the discontinued black label line...

But it lives on in it's new guise Latha Lavanda
But Black Label, dark and mysterious, no longer manufactured in its original packaging :)

Brush: Omega 'Scarlatti' 31025
Soap/Cream: Caties Bubbles "The Marching Rash?" La Marche du Rasage (thanks @SydBJW for the sample)
Razor: Georg Butler KEEN 5/8
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather [4]
After-shave: Mennen Skin Bracer

I'd committed to a straight only shave this morning. Decided I would get the lather nice and slick and reap the rewards. Spent tens of minutes in Mad Professor mode hunched in craziness over the bowl. The short of it is I tweaked the Caties Bubbles as best as I could but I was just not getting the glide I'd hoped for with the straight. Made a nice wet lather that worked brilliant with the DE, but still dragged with the straight. Got me buggered. I wonder whether I've lost the edge (the straight's not mine!) ? I have a GD-66 arriving from @Mark next week and so I'll give that a go. If it shows an improvement then I'll send the KEEN for its complementary second hone with our resident honemeister pimp. I know he dialled it back for me so I don't do myself an injustice and maybe I've taken what little bite was left on that Sheffield steel. Don't get me wrong it still cuts but I don't guide but have to push the blade through the lather. I am told it should just fall through...who knows it could even be my technique - perish the thought...shudder...

But fuck me that Feather is good. It really enjoyed the wetter lather. I know this gig is all about how much your mileage varies, but this razor. Glad I got over the small issue of the cost, there is nothing like it. And yes I have tried various models of Tech (thanks to @Mark1966 ) and I reiterate, about the Feather AS-D2 loaded with a Feather blade, "THERE IS NOTHING LIKE IT!" (for me.)

Pre-Shave Proraso Green Pre-shave
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Gillette Super Speed
Blade La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (11)
Post Shave Proraso Green Pre-shave, Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & Argan Oil

Bowl lathered the Latha today with the synth. So much easier to get the water content right. Lovely thick and slick lather. Gone back to Proraso Green preshave - even given the chilly Melbourne mornings.

Affirmative (y) They sold out in under 2 minutes. @alfredus and I were very lucky to score one each. The detail and attention that went into making this brush, and all Dark Holler brushes, is quite extraordinary.

Affirmative (y) They sold out in under 2 minutes. @alfredus and I were very lucky to score one each. The detail and attention that went into making this brush, and all Dark Holler brushes, is quite extraordinary.

Congratulations, great looking brush. I sent an email to Ken a few weeks ago, I will wait to his website is up and hopefully join a waitlist for one of his brushes in the future ;)

Congratulations, great looking brush. I sent an email to Ken a few weeks ago, I will wait to his website is up and hopefully join a waitlist for one of his brushes in the future ;)

Thanks mate. I've seen some stunning photos of his handles on Shave Nook. Best of luck with getting your brush - I'm sure it will be worth the waiting time.

Status
Not open for further replies.