Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Slim @ 7
Blade: Vintage Gillette English Platinum, 11? 12? No idea really.
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: @Barrister & Mann 'Lavanille'

Definitely feeling the English Plat running out of steam. Still great on the cheeks but struggling under the chin & neck. No pulling or skipping, just not getting a close result even after upping the blade gap.

Trying to get the most out of my winter rotation of soaps before swapping out to the lighter citrus/floral styles. Lavanille is a definite masterpiece, and the powdery Kyovu Original goes nicely over the top. Will is bringing back the Leviathan which is similar to Lavanille but swapping out the cocoa & vanilla notes for coffee, and leaving out some of the more bitter elements. That one is definitely on the list to buy and put aside for next Autumn.

11891086_10203549326492246_1948760408875609927_n.jpg

You know what, I'm never going to get sick of saying this....."best straight shave yet!" My sincere hope is that I will be saying this far into the future.

Things went well with yesterday's straight shave - skin was all happy this morning (actually it was totally fine moments after the shave but..) - so I thought I'd go another on my rest day. Very glad I did as this confirms I am almost finding it impossible to wriggle out of the grasp of the straights.

I've talked with @Mark before about my preference for this Le Duc quarter hollow - over my two other extra hollows - and I have to say I do very much prefer the shave from the thicker blade. Seriously, other than the kamisori, the next straight is DEFINITELY going to be a wide (near) wedge...might even trade in a DE or two to fund it (....and some stones).

This morning's shave had moments of complete mindfulness and even ended with some regions of BBS. And this morning's shave has me seriously pondering the predominance of DEs in my line-up.

Huge thanks go out to Mark for reeling me into this world. Again I don't think this is this last time I'll be saying this either...

Presahve: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush : Omega Pure Betula(Boar Bristle) kindly on loan from @Draco Noir
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica
Post Shave: Thayers Witch Hazel Lemon
Three pass shave for a BBS result today. What a wonderful soap this is, lathering up so easily and providing such protection during the shave with a great post shave feel. Love the boar brush thanks @Draco Noir , it is nice and firm on the face with plenty of backbone to work the soap into my two day growth. One hour later I am a happy fellow.
20150830_094205 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

20150830_SOTDS_zpsuwrukgvs.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel​

I had been looking forward to this shave for quiet some time now - first shave in the finished new den! So it had to be my favourite setup and it did not disappoint - heaven!

20150828_PaladinChief_MikesLES_zpsip1jejfy.jpg

What more can you ask for?

Razor: Gold Dollar
Razor: Schick Injector D Type
Blade: Personna Injector (4)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Proraso Green

At today's meet up, @bald as very generously loaned me a Gold Dollar, a kamisori and a strop. Afterwards, I psyched myself up for my maiden voyage with a naked blade. I decided on using the Gold Dollar first. Prep was meticulous. I showered, made an ideal MWF lather, rubbed some alum on my fingers, unfolded the razor and raised it to my right cheek...

I couldn't do it.

I'd made a pact with myself that I'd be happy to wear some big cuts in the first few months of straight shaving. They'd be a necessary evil. This was something other than wimping out though. No matter which way I shifted my eyes and hands, it was quite impossible to see the blade approach the cheek. I thought, 'maybe I'm holding it in the wrong hand?' No. Shifting hands only made things worse. The problem is that I have retina degeneration that has killed my peripheral vision. The scotoma covers the crucial spot where the straight shave begins.

I put the straight down and did a pass with the D Type. I lathered up again and again I unfolded the straight. Same result. I repeated this after each of my three passes to make sure that it wasn't psychological. Regrettably it wasn't. It's very disappointing to say but shaving with a western-style razor will not be something I'll be able to do. Tomorrow evening I'll try the kamisori. I'm mildly confident that the sleeker profile and different grip will allow me to safely use it. We will see.

The scotoma covers the crucial spot where the straight shave begins.

:ROFLMAO: For some reason I read that differently and the mental image was quite disturbing !!

It is sad you are limited by your vision but on the other hand great you have settled very simply if a straight is for you or not. It is a pretty sharp object to wield around your face if your visual perceptions aren't spot on.

Hopefully a Kami is better for you.

:) Sorry for my warped sense of humour!!

Steve

My shave this evening was great. Still learning which parts bleed and which don't using the straight. I finished of with my Schick adjustable - now that really is a great razor.
I recently got a scuttle from @stillshunter which is great so the other day made a soap to break it in. The scuttle is good the soap is good and the razors are good.

Good night shave all round

Steve

No matter which way I shifted my eyes and hands, it was quite impossible to see the blade approach the cheek. I thought, 'maybe I'm holding it in the wrong hand?' No. Shifting hands only made things worse. The problem is that I have retina degeneration that has killed my peripheral vision.
I share your pain @khun_diddy. From an accident many years ago I have a lazy right eye, tunnel vision (limited peripheral vision) and limited control/coordination of my left-side limbs. I have to twist and hold my head in a different manner when shaving my left side than my right side. I probably look like one of the Indian Rubber Men in the circus' of old. When I first started straight shaving I struggled big time but you learn methods that help you overcome the hurdles in your path. It just took me a little longer than most to become proficient. Straight shaving is addictive. I know you have the passion for wet shaving to push on @khun_diddy. Try holding the razor flat against your cheek then slightly lift the spine to the correct angle and then commence your pass. You will "feel" the correct angle as you shave and you become increasingly more comfortable and confident with doing something so challenging.

Just do it @khun_diddy, just do it. You will be able to succeed.

Sunday 30 August 2015

210497d1440935499-sun-august-30th-sat-september-06th-sotd-30082015.jpg

Mastro Livi RWL34, 9/8 Full Hollow, French Point

I always try to keep in rotation all the straight razors in my collection and it is not an easy task. I admit I use Mastro Livi straight razors the most and the reason it is obvious to me: they simply are the very best shavers I own and nothing compares to each of them. I usually shave three or four times a week and in just one of them I use one of the many vintage razors of my collection, whereas the other times it is always a Mastro Livi straight razor. Including Sunday shave in which I always use a Mastro Livi. Today I opted for this stellar Mastro Livi RWL34, simply superb, reliable and always giving a super smooth shave. I coupled this RWL34 razor to my latest Mastro Livi "Pennello Italiano" brush which confirmed to be a great brush: it easily mounted the XPEC shaving cream while giving a smooth and delicate massage to my face.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: XPEC Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger "Pennello Italiano", 24mm Knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi RWL34, 9/8 Full Hollow, French Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Geo F. Trumper Sandalwood Cologne

Status
Not open for further replies.