Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Toggle was generously loaned by @borked after a recent find "in the wild". (Although he isn't telling us where!) Paired with the Pol blade, it made for an efficient shave. I left it on setting 5 but should have dialled it lower for the subsequent passes. (I did set it on 1 for some final buffing.)
Some things do need to be kept secret, yet as you personally know, the spoils, I do share around :)

img_1707.jpg

Trumpers Lime Skinfood
Razorock Chubby Silvertip
Razorock SMDF
Mongoose with Jürgen Hempel Ti
Feather Pro (7)
Razorock Baby Blue AS

Nice soap and splash and a huge brush.

11899978_10203535151697885_773971914729102966_n.jpg

Not like me to post my SOTD straight afterwards...well not on a school day. But today is different, very different.

I took possession of a new ShaverHeaven soap. Now when I say "new" I don't mean a new scent on the usual extraordinary soap base, this is a new formula from the hand of our local soap artisan @Anthony

The scent I first thought a bit strong, but surprisingly the wife absolutely loved it. She went gaga for it, so much so Anthony is considering my petition to make her a soap or 8...in the Teller scent. "Teller" is a good name. It fits. ...and it smells even better wet.

But guys, the reason I am writing is the lather. No, sorry THE LATHER. Ex-fucking-tra-fucking ordinary! Seriously, you got a box, I'll tick it. Magnificent consistency, slippery as glide and top protection. So good a glide and protection that it made me try a tricky ATG on the top lip - which I never venture - and it pulled it off with ease. This soap is IT folks. OK so I thought all this would be had at the expense of post-shave face feel...WRONG! So supple after the rinse. Even the Antesol couldn't sap the moisture.

Anthony has absolutely nailed this one folks. It is in my top three soaps even after the first use! In the wake of this morning's gorgeous shave I have two recommendations:
1. Fellas do yourself a favour and try out the new ShaverHeaven soap formula. DO IT!!! Stock will go, even if just to my stockpile...
2. Anthony make more flavours on this base mate. Because this is an absolute winner.

I am utterly mesmerised my this Teller.

P.S., @Mark 's brush may have helped a little too. Played the best supporting role in this morning's shave!

11899978_10203535151697885_773971914729102966_n.jpg

Not like me to post my SOTD straight afterwards...well not on a school day. But today is different, very different.

I took possession of a new ShaverHeaven soap. Now when I say "new" I don't mean a new scent on the usual extraordinary soap base, this is a new formula from the hand of our local soap artisan @Anthony

The scent I first thought a bit strong, but surprisingly the wife absolutely loved it. She went gaga for it, so much so Anthony is considering my petition to make her a soap or 8...in the Teller scent. "Teller" is a good name. It fits. ...and it smells even better wet.

But guys, the reason I am writing is the lather. No, sorry THE LATHER. Ex-fucking-tra-fucking ordinary! Seriously, you got a box, I'll tick it. Magnificent consistency, slippery as glide and top protection. So good a glide and protection that it made me try a tricky ATG on the top lip - which I never venture - and it pulled it off with ease. This soap is IT folks. OK so I thought all this would be had at the expense of post-shave face feel...WRONG! So supple after the rinse. Even the Antesol couldn't sap the moisture.

Anthony has absolutely nailed this one folks. It is in my top three soaps even after the first use! In the wake of this morning's gorgeous shave I have two recommendations:
1. Fellas do yourself a favour and try out the new ShaverHeaven soap formula. DO IT!!! Stock will go, even if just to my stockpile...
2. Anthony make more flavours on this base mate. Because this is an absolute winner.

I am utterly mesmerised my this Teller.

P.S., @Mark 's brush may have helped a little too. Played the best supporting role in this morning's shave!

On the basis of this review, I headed over to the SH website. @Anthony - there's a small typo:

"My soaps are phthalate free, SLS (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) free, colour free (other than natural colour produced by the fragrance / essential oil used) and Prarben free."

Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade: Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus
Soap: Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood
Brush: Semogue 1305
Two Pass shave with a clean up. First use of this blade and it is quite sharp, very nice. The Castle Forbes is also an excellent soap with easy lather to a marshmallow consistency. The scent is more cedarwood than sandalwood but quite pleasant.
20150827_190252 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

20150828_SOTDS_zpsciq3xjnq.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Gem G-Bar (kindly loaned by bald as)
Blade: Gem Stainless Steel (1) (kindly loaned by bald as)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon 2-Band
Soap: Barrister & Mann Cheshire
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel​

My quest with SE's continues - today with a GEM G-bar (and the right blades) kindly loaned to me by @bald as .

I was told, this is the mildest GEM out there and it definitely felt mild - compared to the other SE's I have tried so far (Mongoose, GEM ClogPruf). But of course it is not as mild as a mild DE.

The aggressiveness I would put it roughly in the same ballpark as my ATT R1, but unfortunately not the efficiency (yet?). The angle was very easy to find and overall it was a very nice shave, no blood and just the right amount of sting from the alum - but not as silky smooth as I would have hoped.

The knot of the Epsilon is getting perfect - that brush eats through soap like nothing I have seen before. But the face feel is fantastic and lather sensational - so who cares :)

Except he didn't mention anything about shaving with it - just took a pretty picture. Maybe we need a Picture Of The Day area as more often now in SOTD we get a really nice picture and nothing else.

I'd better say something about the shave I guess ;)

#SOTD

Supersaponificio!

I love the fragrances in this combo. 70th Anniversary SV gear with Bvlgari Aqva Marine. The Vokshod (#2) in the Muhle R41 felt a bit rough though. Probably best used in the milder razors for me. Need to try them a bit more.

02tsGFQ.jpg

Blade: Shick (Energizer)
Brush: Vie-Long 13061
Cream: Yardley Gold
A.F: Aqua Velva Original Sport
Razor ? The Frankenbasol 1934 with Bakelite handle, only available at your nearest scrapyard ! Deluxe Brass screw available for an extra 28cents, only the finest.

Shave notes: Double WTG, no nick, no blood, A.F bites slightly more than usual. Quick Socially Acceptable Shave, the 30's style.

20767718218_8f9f2feab8_c_zpszs05nplh.jpg

WHOA...YOU GOT A 1305!!!!!!!
...smartest thing you've done since....well meeting me for a beer in Canberra (which I hope to do again soon BTW).
Yeah, been too long between beers. Hopefully soon. Definitely I'll be back down in December, but maybe sooner than that.

D5E08D1F-5F12-4CA9-8AEB-A4E703376EF8_zpsl2lovyca.jpg~original

SOTD
THIS is why wet shaving is soooooo good.

Cold water shave
Pre-shave: bloom water from soap
Soap: Shaver Heaven Drogon Noir
Brush: Simpson Berkeley - somebodies recent post that said real men face lather & after a month of bowl lathering it was one of the highlights of today's shave & well yeah, glad to be back
Razor: Dovo SS 5/8
Post shave: Just sitting here enjoying the post-shave feel by stroking my smooth face and downing a few short blacks

@Anthony has nailed this soap. Great scent pre-shave. @Anthony describes it thus:

An all round complex Fougère with notes of lavender, lemon verbena, bergamot, jasmine, patchouli, oakmoss and vetiver amongst others!
Well I don't know about all that but it smells good and strong without overpowering. You won't be disappointed. The lather however is the real standout for this soap. Loaded the badger in 15-20 seconds and stared face lathering. STAND BACK. The resultant lather just kept growing & growing & growing & growing & growing .... ... ... you get the point, I almost had to step outside the bathroom to make room for it. A standout success in this aspect. And slick; the straight just glides. For another opinion of this soap, see here,

The straight performed it's usual magic. Undoubtedly aided this morning by an outstanding soap, the shave was close, smooth and enjoyable from start to finish. THIS is why wet shaving is soooooo good.

Status
Not open for further replies.