• Potassium hydroxide
  • Sodium hydroxide
  • Castor oil
  • French green clay
  • Pure essential oils
  • Phenoxyethanol
  • Caprylyl glycol
Occams btw...

If you blokes stay "on-topic", you're just gonna confuse the rest of us!!

I thought the topic was whatever is on our minds ...

MODS - can you fix this and keep this lot in check?

Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: EJ DE89L
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Soap: St James of London Founders Reserve
Brush: Vie Long Horse and Boar Combo( kindly on loan from @Draco Noir )(Sorry referred to this brush yesterday as a Horse and Badger Combo)
Post Shave: TOBS Sandalwood AS
Two pass shave with a clean up. Really enjoying the brush and used the same blade today to make sure yesterday was not a fluke, and it wasn't. These blades work very well for me.
20150903_223245 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Razor: Ever-Ready 24/14
Blade: Personna Gem (4)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Bald As Olive Oil
Aftershave: Myrsol Antesol

The soap is brilliant. I'm very fond of the sensation as it goes on. A kind of velvety feel.

The Ever-Ready is a recent acquisition. I like it a lot but overall I prefer the 1912. The 24/14 feels a little milder and less open. I assume it was marketed at the time as an improvement over the 1912 because the door opens more fully but I actually find it more difficult to load the blade with this mechanism.

Got a nice selection of soap samples to try from @stillshunter today.

Razor: Gillette slim
Blade: vintage Gillette Rubie (2)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Dr Jon's arctic hydra
Aftershave: aqua velva

If you are going to sell something with the label "arctic" it had better be bloody cold. Unfortunately this only felt mildly chilly, roughly proraso level.
Having said that the scent, which is comprised of bergamot, grapefruit, lemon, lime, mandarin and orange is quite pleasant. I would probably prefer the strength of the scent to be ramped up a bit as it was a little on the mild side for me.
The lather is pretty damn good, very impressed with the quantity and quality I got from just dabbing the brush into the very soft soap. Result enough for 3 passes with more to spare.

Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: LPL Rose de Pushkar
Razor: Tennis (Fritz Bracht Solingen)
Aftershave: EVOO
After the Aftershave: Metilsol

I really look forward to my straight shaves. I love that early morning meditation, it starts with the AMSR experience of the strop, where it again ends.

I actually didn't shave Friday (yesterday) as the boss wasn't at work so I thought stubble would go well with jeans. So this was a nice little test for the Tennis. To give it it's best shot I lathered up with some LPL. Big thanks go out to @SydBJW for the sample. A nice genuine rose scent - even though it's not really my thang - but the lather did not disappoint. Held its structure, gave good glide, with maybe a touch on the dry side post-shave feel. Hence, I went the 5 minute Olive Oil soak before smoothing it all off with the Metilsol. I absolutely love this stuff and it rounds off every single shave perfectly. Once I pick-up my new arrivals from @Mark1966 (Metilsol, F/Extra and Emulsion....as well as some LPL Cedar and Patchouli) I think I might clear out some more after-shaves. What more do you need when you have Myrsol? So eyes on the BST fellas during the course of next week.

Oh yeah the Tennis......it did a great job. The 6/8 full hollow makes it so easy to orbit around Planet Face. However I still think I prefer a little more beef to the grind - for some reason the quarter hollow gives me just a little better a shave. I assume it's down to the weight.....

Only hope the weekend moves as slow and mindfully as the Saturday morning shave.

Razor: E1 Fatboy @ 5
Blade: Spoiler (fresh)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: @D_Smythe PAA/@shavetheman 'Strewth' soap

Unfortunately, this shave was not one of the best. I have to load the brush quite differently to other soaps as otherwise it tends to foam in the knot and then it's almost impossible to get water into it. You are better with this soap to load it extremely wet & sloppy, slap it around planet face a little then start working it in. It just starts exploding then.

First of all, top marks to Douglas for this scent - I really enjoy it. For a Yank, he has captured what is a unique Aussie feel in this soap and I am pretty sure that his countrymen would love it too. It also lathers up nicely and gets nice and creamy with the Plisitane doing it's normal job.

I am led to believe that the soap is based on but not exactly the same as his new Crown King base, which works pretty well, except the glide. Unfortunately I keep adding water and while it is thirsty, I can never get the glide out of it that I can get with the B&M range. There is definitely something missing in the mix here, as the fresh Spoiler was dragging in a couple of places. As a result, when the AS went on, mate did it sting! Not quite a 'Home Alone' moment, but approaching it.

The AS has a nice hit of Ethanol & Menthol, and the scent sticks around for hours and hours. There's some other nice things for the skin in there, pretty sure it has Witch Hazel and some skin-soothing EO's.

Going to keep working on it for a bit and see if I can get a better result by working the balance of loading & water, but it's definitely hard work at this stage.

20150905_SOTDS_zpscwosj8bw.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: PolSilver SI (2)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon 2-Band
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Sage
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, Redgum Soaps Aftershave

Brilliant lather. Brilliant brush. Brilliant shave.
Thoughts on the AS in the Redgum thread.
20150905_Epsilon2BandStirlingLavenderSageS_zpshuccdr6a.jpg

:( all this citrus talk makes me sad panda faced.

Saturday 5 September 2015

211112d1441462415-sun-august-30th-sat-september-06th-sotd-05092015.jpg

Still Traveling with a Mastro Livi CarboInox

I am still enjoying shaving with this Mastro Livi CarboInox razor as this is the razor I brought with me this time. And I am still enjoying the super smooth and close shave this straight razor can give. I used one of the most popular Italian shaving soaps - Cella - and, once again, it proved to be a very good tallow based soap, one of the best we have in Italy. The refreshing touch of my Thyrrenus after shave has been the usual soothing ice massage with a great cooling effect on the skin and a lovely refreshing touch.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Cella Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Optim'Hom J-082 Synthetic
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi CarboInox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Thyrrenus

One of these shaves : /

I wanted to use my Gem Jr. but forgot that I was out of TED Pella blades, the only blades available in my stash was a pack of Gold Tone from the 40's. :eek:
I did 4 strokes and gave up... I finished the shave with the Barbasol Non-Floating head. Each time I pick an obscure NOS carbon blade out of my stash, I remember why they STAY in my stash lolll

Gold%20Tone_zpsq0rsjvva.png

Status
Not open for further replies.