Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been thinking similarly lately - i.e. should use more of my Mike's and my vintage razors. My "problem" seems to be that there are so many other things I want to try out. Mike's were the soaps I started out with when this hobby bit and I agree that they are awesome. I have 5-6 mostly unused tins to revisit. All great scents and performers.
I've got a few forgotten soaps out to use in the coming weeks.

#SOTD

Inspired by @unobtainium's SOTD -

Mike's Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
Semogue 1305
Fatboy G2 (#8)
Gillette yellow blade
Myrsol Lemon
Weleda ASB
Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta

Very citrussy, fresh today. Enjoyed the Fatboy. Might use it all week.

kSsOWAZ.jpg

#SOTD

Inspired by @unobtainium's SOTD -

Mike's Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
Semogue 1305
Fatboy G2 (#8)
Gillette yellow blade
Myrsol Lemon
Weleda ASB
Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta

Very citrussy, fresh today. Enjoyed the Fatboy. Might use it all week.

kSsOWAZ.jpg

Nice sounding shave @possumbelly. What's the Mike's soap like? I've tried a few Orange/Sandalwood soaps, but the inclusion of Black Pepper really intrigues me. How noticeable/prominent is it? And does it really have that stunning freshly ground black pepper fragrance?

Thanks mate...

Preshave: @Draco Noir preshave oil
Razor: EJ DE89L
Blade: Rapira Swedish supersteel
Brush: Vie Long Hoar( kindly on loan from @StueyB )
Soap: Penhaligons Blenheim
Post Shave: 4711 AS
Two pass shave with a clean up today. Really enjoying the brush, nice amount of backbone with enough exfoliating action. The Penhaligons is a solid performer with a nice citrus, woodsy scent.
20150907_082944 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Nice sounding shave @possumbelly. What's the Mike's soap like? I've tried a few Orange/Sandalwood soaps, but the inclusion of Black Pepper really intrigues me. How noticeable/prominent is it? And does it really have that stunning freshly ground black pepper fragrance?

Thanks mate...
The pepper is pretty subtle. Most prominent fragrance is an orange peel scent made a little spicy by the cedarwood and pepper I suppose. Not too sweet - which I like. Other Mike's I like are the Bay Rum, Lemon and Eucalyptus, Rose and Cedarwood, Vetiver, Hungarian Lavender and Barbershop. They are on the hard side so they last ages.

20150907_SOTDS_zpsgu6t1hdj.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor 1st pass: Universal Shavette
Razor 2nd-4th pass: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blades: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, Redgum Soaps Aftershave Balm

So I finally did it today!!! My first real try with the Straights sharper cousin :D

I had planed to only use it on my cheeks, but it went so well, that I did a complete first pass. Mind you, years of exact beard mapping went totally out of the window: above the jawline N-S, bellow the jawline S-N. Felt actually really great, I guess it was helped my a super wet Mike's lather, that had great problems staying on the brush and just wanted to fly around the bathroom :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Probably took me less time doing the remaining 3 passes with the Wolf, fantastic end result with just a tiny weeper on the chin (from the shavette)

Review of @roger Redgum After Shave Balm in the Redgum Soap section.

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor 1st pass: Universal Shavette
Razor 2nd-4th pass: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blades: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, Redgum Soaps Aftershave Balm

So I finally did it today!!! My first real try with the Straights sharper cousin :D

I had planed to only use it on my cheeks, but it went so well, that I did a complete first pass. Mind you, years of exact beard mapping went totally out of the window: above the jawline N-S, bellow the jawline S-N. Felt actually really great, I guess it was helped my a super wet Mike's lather, that had great problems staying on the brush and just wanted to fly around the bathroom :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Probably took me less time doing the remaining 3 passes with the Wolf, fantastic end result with just a tiny weeper on the chin (from the shavette)

Awesome @alfredus! Congratulations on an amazingly successful first shave with a naked blade. (y):)(y)

Can I interest you in a nice Kamisori instead of that refugee from a modern barber's shop? :whistle: Seriously, you'll get a nice surprise one of these days when you try a non-replaceable blade straight razor or a kami - gentler, more responsive and more comfortable. And you can stretch a multi pass shave out for just ages ;)

1959 Gilette Fatboy (first use)
Gillette Silver Blue (new)
Wilkinson Sword Shave Stick (first use)
Plisson L'Occitane Synthetic
WOW! What a shave! The Fat Boy felt perfect in the hand. First pass WTG at setting 3 was nice and easy with the WS giving a beautiful glide. Lathered up super easy with face lathering. Nice scent too. Re-applied the stick to the face, and painted up a really nice lather. Second pass XTG face / ATG neck was super smooth, probably the easiest ATG I've had yet. Third pass, cranked her up to five, went WTG nice and slow to pick up any touch ups required. Really really nice shave. This combo really took care of the jawline and chin in no time.

Could almost say my best shave yet. Cant say if it was the Fat Boy or the WS, or a combination of both.

The WS smells good, really slick and skin feels really good afterwards. The Fat Boy felt awesome in the hand. Good weight and size. Cant wait to get it all dialled in.

WOW! What a shave!....

The Fat Boy felt awesome in the hand. Good weight and size. Cant wait to get it all dialled in.

Felt the same way when I first used my Fatboy (1961). Had a Slim (1966) well before that but the Fatboy just felt better for me. Set on 3 wouldn't help me much although I've never tried. I seem to need the 7/8/9 settings.

Felt the same way when I first used my Fatboy (1961). Had a Slim (1966) well before that but the Fatboy just felt better for me. Set on 3 wouldn't help me much although I've never tried. I seem to need the 7/8/9 settings.

I will be cranking her up slowly. when I got my 1971 black beauty, I cranked her up to 9 and paid the price.

Awesome @alfredus! Congratulations on an amazingly successful first shave with a naked blade. (y):)(y)

Can I interest you in a nice Kamisori instead of that refugee from a modern barber's shop? :whistle: Seriously, you'll get a nice surprise one of these days when you try a non-replaceable blade straight razor or a kami - gentler, more responsive and more comfortable. And you can stretch a multi pass shave out for just ages ;)

Thank you so much for your kind words and kind offer @Draco Noir .

The whole point of the shavette for me is zero upkeep - and being able to use my beloved Voskhod :D

It also helps, that there is very limited temptation in the shavette world - I'm drooling as is when I see your beautiful specimen - but at least my wallet doesn't have to bleed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So for now, I will continue mastering the naked disposable blade...but if/once I do, who knows :whistle:

Razor : slim
Blade : vintage Gillette Rubie
Brush : Onega 10005
A/s. : floid v
Soap. : SH summer breeze.

Another sample from @stillshunter and I can see why others have suggested @Anthony is on to a winner with this one.
Great lather no matter which formula it is. Scent is very nice, but for my tastes a little on the sweet side, but not enough to take the smile off your face you get when fantastic lather means you can do no wrong with your choice of blade and razor!

Last edited:
@Anthony is on to a winner with this one.
Great lather no matter which formula it is. Scent is very nice, but for my tastes a little on the sweet side, but not enough to take the smile off your face you get when fantastic lather means you can do no wrong with your choice of blade and razor!
@Anthony has nailed alright with his soaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.