Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush Frank Shaving Silvertip
Razor Gillette Slim H4
Blade Treet Platinum
Pre-Shave Proraso Green
Cream Proraso Green (tube)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & Nivea Post Shave Balm (Sensitive)

Thanks to @stillshunter I received the '62 Slim on Friday, thanks to my son putting his skateboard through a window I didn't get to take it for spin until today.

While a little lighter than the Merkur HD, the Slim has a feeling of more weight in the head (or the center of balance if further toward the head than the 34C) and the knurling makes for a very comfortable grip. Being s bit of a woose, I started on 2 for the first WTG. I moved it up to 3 and did a second WTG pass and kept it there for the XTG and ATG passes.

While not quite BBS, it was definitely a DFS and I think the 34c will be spending a lot of time in reserve now.

The Proraso Green pre-shave and cream give a nice cooling effect, especially when combined with the witch hazel's 14% alcohol. Great start to a Sunday morning :D

You went very mild with the slim. I think most people end up using 6 or upwards with a Slim or Fatboy.
But a good decision to err on the side of caution.

Ie8akhP.png

Brush: Frank Shaving STF
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Bay Rum
Razor: PH Weber
Blade: Personna Super/LB [1]
After-shave: Captain's Choice Cat O'Nine Tails

Terrific shave. Too bad I've got a summer cold and can't smell the Bay Rum. [emoji53] Felt the burn from the CONT though!

Sunday 25 January 2015

191435d1422191073-sun-january-24th-sat-january-31st-sotd-25012015.jpg

Mastro Livi Grifetto, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point

Yet another impeccable shave with Mastro Livi Grifetto. I absolutely love this straight razor, easy to use and giving a super smooth shave. I also love the scales of Grifetto, made from olive wood, directly recalling the lovely view you have here in Umbria, where hills are full of olive trees: definitely an Umbrian wood! This Mastro Livi Grifetto steel is velvety yet very effective, giving a deep and smooth shave, a straight razor I am certainly suggesting to everyone who wants to get into the wonderful world of wet shaving with a straight razor.​
  • Pre-Shave: Roberts Distilled Rose Water
  • Soap: Mondial Almond Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Badger #63167
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Grifetto, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso

Brush Omega 31025 'Scarlatti'
Razor Fatip Piccolo
Blade SPP (7)
Soap Jabonman Tierra Humeda
Post Shave Captains Choice Cat O'Nine Tails

Hmmm...@razorguy has me thinking it's time to get the camera out again. Very nice shots mate!

I am afraid, I am very afraid. The SPP (Schick Plus Platinum) has taken things up a notch, as has soaps of the calibre of Jabonman. I'd have never, I mean NEVER gone completely ATG with the Fatip - it is smooth but its bite is only a little less poised than the R41. But today's shave felt so good from the get-go. Still felt so right by the end of the third pass so I thought - go for it!...with one caveat. You go this fourth ATG then you have to use the Cat o'Nine Tails when all is said and done. So I went for it and can I just say the punishment from the legendary post shave whip was simply bliss. Zero sting just a lot of warmth. Sitting here typing this 10 minutes post-shave and there is nothing I'd change about today's shave and post-shave result. Even the scent of the Tierra Humeda - which I was umming-and-arring about (strong vetiver) - just worked on this dismal foggy Canberra (ish) day.

...off to set up my eBay tripwire now as I'm really not sure what I'm going to do once my meagre supply of SPPs runs out.

...off to set up my eBay tripwire now as I'm really not sure what I'm going to do once my meagre supply of SPPs runs out.
Blades on your non-sabbatical list...? [emoji10]

Blades on your non-sabbatical list...? [emoji10]
I very much doubt they'll come up during 2015 but, hey, then again happy to make the exception public if it calls them towards me.
Yeah blades were always iffy for sabbaticalisation in 2015 as they're the one thing I don't have much of. Not counted but my supplies probably wouldn't stretch another 330 odd days....having said that I'm on shave 7 with the SPP and still going strong.

Brush: Plisson synthetic
Soap/Cream: Soap Commander - Respect
Razor: Merkur 34c HD
Blade: Astra SP (2)
After-shave: Proraso white balm

First use of Soap Commander. Nice scent, the Patchouli adds some earthiness and a bit of a mint scent to the lime. The lather had a real sheen to it and was very slick.

Still adjusting to the Plisson, had enough lather there for 12 passes. Easily my favourite brush, will have to try and not neglect my others. Very nice shave.

20150125_193517_zps5846d2a5.jpg

269EkwH.png

Brush: Duke 2 (loan from @stillshunter)
Soap/Cream: WSP Rustic Vetiver
Blade: Personna Super/LB [2]
After-shave: Speick Original Aftershave

Brush: Plisson Synthetic
Soap/Cream: Soap Commander Wisdom (peppermint and lavender)
Blade: Feather (4)
After-shave: Captains Choice Lime

Has anyone noticed that blades tend to rust more in a Weber PH? I've never noticed rusting in another razor, but after 3 or 4 shaves my blades start rusting in the Weber...

Anyway, reasonable shave, but I noticed the blade dropping off. More tugging too, and I got a very small nick as a result.

The soap, however, was AWESOME. I got samples of Wisdom and Confidence when I purchased Respect. The lather was the same as Respect, which is very very good. The scent was absolutely delightful. Peppermint with a hint of lavender. Loved it, and perfect for summer.

Sunday 25 January 2015

191435d1422191073-sun-january-24th-sat-january-31st-sotd-25012015.jpg

Mastro Livi Grifetto, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point

Yet another impeccable shave with Mastro Livi Grifetto. I absolutely love this straight razor, easy to use and giving a super smooth shave. I also love the scales of Grifetto, made from olive wood, directly recalling the lovely view you have here in Umbria, where hills are full of olive trees: definitely an Umbrian wood! This Mastro Livi Grifetto steel is velvety yet very effective, giving a deep and smooth shave, a straight razor I am certainly suggesting to everyone who wants to get into the wonderful world of wet shaving with a straight razor.​
  • Pre-Shave: Roberts Distilled Rose Water
  • Soap: Mondial Almond Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Badger #63167
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Grifetto, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso
Could you please elaborate more on the use of oils as post-shave? What kind/grade do you use and where do you get them from? How much do you use and do you leave it on? Many thanks in advance...

Has anyone noticed that blades tend to rust more in a Weber PH? I've never noticed rusting in another razor, but after 3 or 4 shaves my blades start rusting in the Weber...
Nope. Never, ever had ANY rust in the Weber with the blades or the razor head itself.

Perhaps it's just your razor? I'd shoot off an email to Weber asking about it.

The soap, however, was AWESOME. I got samples of Wisdom and Confidence when I purchased Respect. The lather was the same as Respect, which is very very good. The scent was absolutely delightful. Peppermint with a hint of lavender. Loved it, and perfect for summer.
Peppermint IMHO is terrific in a shaving soap. [emoji106] I highly rate Mike's Peppermint and Rosemary but the Simpsons cream with the same scent is also classy.

Never spotted any rust with mine, even when I took the Weber with me to super-humid FNQ. Had the one blade stowed the whole time, never opened and was fine when I got home too. Curious....

Could you please elaborate more on the use of oils as post-shave? What kind/grade do you use and where do you get them from? How much do you use and do you leave it on? Many thanks in advance...

It is something my grandfather taught me. You should know in past times, when aftershaves - the way we know them today - did not exist, most of men who could not afford buying specific shaving products, used what they had at hand. I am sure you know in Italy we have plenty of olive trees from which we get the best and healthy oil. Olive oil is great for cooking and it is known since millennia to have special healthy properties including remarkable positive effects on skin. It soothes irritated skin and protects it, for example. It is rich in tocopherol, a very good skin food.
It is also a very good post shave and you need just few drops. Use it like so: when you are done shaving and rinsed your face with cold water, wet the palm of both hands with water, put four or five drops of olive oil in one palm and then rub palms together in order to spread the oil. You then massage your face and neck with your palms and let the oil stay there for few minutes, just the time it takes to be absorbed. While you are waiting, you can use this time for cleaning your shaving items, for example.
You can now apply your favorite aftershave and you are done. In case you are using an alcohol aftershave, the non absorbed oil is removed but your skin will however feel smoother and soft. And it will thank you for the good treatment! :)
Make sure the oil is of very high quality, such as extra virgin olive oil - that is extracted from cold crushed olives and not extracted with chemical processing - and this applies to every oil you are going to use with your skin or food.
Other good alternatives to olive oil to be used as post shave include argan, almond and hazelnut oil.
In past times, when they had no aftershaves, they usually left the oil in their face, however you can easily remove the extra oil by washing your face with water and soap.
By the way: you may wash your hands with water and soap to completely remove the oil from your hands.

Perhaps it's just your razor? I'd shoot off an email to Weber asking about it.

Any ideas how it could be the razor? A bad stainless steel composition?

[update]
It could be that I have been screwing and unscrewing the blade after each use to try and help it dry better, but perhaps this is scratching the surface of the blade and encouraging rust.

I also just read something that suggested that SS razors do tend to cause more rusting on the blades than the coated brass ones.

Last edited:
It is something my grandfather taught me. You should know in past times, when aftershaves - the way we know them today - did not exist, most of men who could not afford buying specific shaving products, used what they had at hand. I am sure you know in Italy we have plenty of olive trees from which we get the best and healthy oil. Olive oil is great for cooking and it is known since millennia to have special healthy properties including remarkable positive effects on skin. It soothes irritated skin and protects it, for example. It is rich in tocopherol, a very good skin food.
It is also a very good post shave and you need just few drops. Use it like so: when you are done shaving and rinsed your face with cold water, wet the palm of both hands with water, put four or five drops of olive oil in one palm and then rub palms together in order to spread the oil. You then massage your face and neck with your palms and let the oil stay there for few minutes, just the time it takes to be absorbed. While you are waiting, you can use this time for cleaning your shaving items, for example.
You can now apply your favorite aftershave and you are done. In case you are using an alcohol aftershave, the non absorbed oil is removed but your skin will however feel smoother and soft. And it will thank you for the good treatment! :)
Make sure the oil is of very high quality, such as extra virgin olive oil - that is extracted from cold crushed olives and not extracted with chemical processing - and this applies to every oil you are going to use with your skin or food.
Other good alternatives to olive oil to be used as post shave include argan, almond and hazelnut oil.
In past times, when they had no aftershaves, they usually left the oil in their face, however you can easily remove the extra oil by washing your face with water and soap.
By the way: you may wash your hands with water and soap to completely remove the oil from your hands.
Thank you for that - I will certainly try this!

I am a trained chemist, so I would never use anything that has been chemically extracted (except water of course) on my body. My brother swears on bergamot oil - however he lives in Austria and has not to deal with the harsh Australian sun. Bergamot oil has unfortunately photochemical properties...I will definitely try olive oil and argan oil. I very rarely use after shaves, mostly witch hazel with essential oils. And in any case never any products with alcohol. I think, if you use the right amount of oil, you shouldn't need to remove excess anyway...but let's see how I go

On a different topic: 2nd shave with a Nacet blade - ouch. That stuff is almost as bad as a feather in my hands...

I will definitely try olive oil and organ oil. I very rarely use after shaves, mostly witch hazel with essential oils. And in any case never any products with alcohol.
..."organ oil" haha love it!

As a trained chemist, why the boycott on alcohol mate?

I will definitely try olive oil and argan oil. I very rarely use after shaves, mostly witch hazel with essential oils. And in any case never any products with alcohol. I think, if you use the right amount of oil, you shouldn't need to remove excess anyway...but let's see how I go

In my case, four or five drops are enough for my skin/face to completely absorb it and never had the need to remove the excess oil. I guess everyone's skin is different and it could be you need to adapt this quantity according to your needs. I am however curious to know how you like it and how it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.