Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still not sure about the Simpson Berkeley. I guess I've got used to the stiffness of badger brushes, and this just feels very soft in comparison.
I could trade you for a $100 Plisson but it's probably more floppy than you like... You'd probably like @stillshunter's Duke

Curious Eggy as I'm loaning @filobiblic my Duke 2 and he is of the exact opposite mind to you. He'd prefer less backbone and a bit more flop - maybe for comparison's sake, you could pass on the Berkeley to him and you could have a go with the Duke 2?
Might be worth a try if you don't mind losing the Duke for a while longer

Wondered if anyone else would notice that.
Yeah, someone does read the yadda, yadda, blah, blah parts of the SOTD... [emoji14]

The S&G is interesting. Could it be Spearmint and Ginseng? Or maybe Sparkly and Glittering?

Arko have probably brought out an aftershave and that is how he could describe it best.

Razor: Gillette Rocket 'Parat'
Blade: Wilkinson Super Sword Edge
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street - Coconut
A.F : Aqua Velva Original Sport

Double WTG + Double ATG for a smooth and close enough shave.

Note: Today's shave was sponsored by The Scuttle; Because you deserve a shave with hot lather.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Razor: Barbasol 'Floating Head'
Blade: Schick Super Platinum - shave 5
Soap/Cream: MdC
Aftershave: Myrsol Antesol

Everything you have ever read about MdC is true.

The scent is divine, don't ask me to describe it, but it is amazing.

I couldn't think of how to finish off so tried the Myrsol sample from @filobiblic - pretty good stuff too.

But the MdC is incredible.

Brush: 1305
Razor: Fatboy (7)
Blade: SPP (5)
Preshave: Proraso Green
Cream: Kent cream
Aftershave: Proraso Green

Didn't need to shave this morning....as I was reminded. But wanted to try the SPP in the Fatboy and the Kent cream sample.

Having had the shave I had this morning I cannot get my head around how the hell the Gillette marketing machine convinced men that their shave needed changing and that they'd be better served by flimsy cartridges and air-pressured gonorrhoeaic discharge. I used what men a generation or two did before me and I was pretty darn happy I can tell you. Honestly, marketing is evil and the human mind is so susceptibly stupid.

The Kent cream? I've been banging on recently in the wake of my Road to Damascus moment about Proraso and the goodnessity of some of these cheap lathers. I was in a trance babbling about how these cheapies can well outdo some of the hoighty toighty artisans.
Well get me sackcloth and ashes 'cause here we go again....Kent cream is amazing! Some of the best I've tried in a while...up there with Jabonman, Wickhams and Occams?
Rich, creamy, protective? VERY, VERY, VERY!
Glide? Oh boy does it!
Post-shave feel? silky smooth.
Needs more testing but I reckon we're not too far off....definitely up there with Speick and Tabac.

...I'm going to test more of my other creams and soaps. I'm not going to tolerate anything less that this level of performance from my lather any more.

...oh yeah and I'm really warming to that Semogue 1305 too...

I don't know guys. Call me weird - though you don't need this for an excuse - but I still take around 30 minutes to shave each morning. But it's very intentional - the whole thing is, which is what's so damn great about it. I love that time. It's mine and not a second of it is wasted!
Well I've had 4 shaves since @stillshunter's comment in-line with my new daily routine; morning DE and evening straight. I knew I took my time to enjoy my shaves so I too timed myself. 30 minutes seems to be the DE average including soaking badger for a cold water shave, setting up towel & soap, 3 pass shave and clean-up missed whiskers, cleaning razor etc. 45 minutes seems the average for the straight including stopping with all the previously mentioned in a 3 pass shave and tidy-up. I was previously straits in the morning with DE in the evening but the DE seemed faster and "less hassle/easier" when getting ready for work (as can now be seen that I've timed myself). If you're gonna enjoy ya shave, take long enough to enjoy every detail. Shaving is no longer a chore but a time to retreat into the man cave and spend "me time".

Any idea upon the original manufacturer for Kent creams ?
Great question. As Kent soap is MWF it would be curious to know who they source their cream from. Having said that it is a must, so fresh!

First shave today with a Gillette Nacet - boy they are sharp! Had a weeper with the RR Stealth Slant!!! Not super smooth though - guess I will give this blade another shave and save the rest for my ATT or Weber...

Brush: Plisson L'Occy synth
Razor: #25
Blade: Feather (1)
Cream: Kent cream
Aftershave: Captains Choice Bay Rum

Went out to dinner so a second shave before leaving. Tried the Kent cream without the Proraso pre-shave and so I actually got a better idea of the scent. Absolutely magnificent! This cream I need, and must have, more of!!! The Feather and the #25. Hand and glove. And that Bay Rum is the little lacy detail!

Two shaves in one day! That's what I need to try... [emoji6]

Status
Not open for further replies.