Status
Not open for further replies.
20151031_095845_zpszk8bh0xd.jpg

SOTD Saturday, October 31
Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloom water
Soap: Soap Commander, Purpose (Bay Rum)
Face lather
Razor George Butler, Keen - http://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/index.php?posts/51911

WHAT A WEAPON. This razor is a beast. Did a quick size-up against my other straights and this razor appeared a bit wider blade than a 6/8. Not sure how much but the size works well. This shave was sooooooo smooth and close !! No nicks; just an awesome shave experience. Thanks for passing this blade on @stillshunter. I definitely have a new No. 1 razor in the stable.

I can't wait to try this with a Shaver Heaven soap. Better "slickness/glide" IMO.

20151031_095845_zpszk8bh0xd.jpg

SOTD Saturday, October 31
Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloom water
Soap: Soap Commander, Purpose (Bay Rum)
Face lather
Razor George Butler, Keen - http://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/index.php?posts/51911

WHAT A WEAPON. This razor is a beast. Did a quick size-up against my other straights and this razor appeared a bit wider blade than a 6/8. Not sure how much but the size works well. This shave was sooooooo smooth and close !! No nicks; just an awesome shave experience. Thanks for passing this blade on @stillshunter. I definitely have a new No. 1 razor in the stable.

I can't wait to try this with a Shaver Heaven soap. Better "slickness/glide" IMO.

Great news my northern brother!

Yellow…”

Is what you say when your SOTD photo is predominantly of yellow tones, really…

Razor | De Pews | Creams | Wahl Traditional Barbers and ‘Shave’ mixed together | After Shave | Myrosol Aqua de Limón

I love this razor. It’s so outrageous. It’s so small but a very wedgy grind. It’s less than two inches from the tip of the toe to the stabiliser. The monkey tail is really nice to hold and it’s really manoeuvrable. I'm pretty sure the scales are original, probably horn. It dates from about 1882.

I mixed the two creams together but messed up; somehow too much water got in the mix – I think maybe the tap was dripping so the lather was runny. I can shave with a pretty bad lather; if I stuff it up normally I just go with it…

Myrosol Aqua de Limón is manufactured specifically for Adelaide at this time of the year, or so I'm told.

Had a nice day at work, a coffee shop meeting for an hour followed by some Friday work place frivolities…

I really like the creative images but Carl !!! that blade :) - you did indicate it was one of you favourites and boy I see why. A real work of art. Now what do I type in Ebay? ------

P1120637SDet_zpstjy3htgi.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: IKON DLC Slant with long Bulldog handle
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

If it ain't broken - don't try to fix it! Again Voskhods have proven to be my #1 blade - perfect silky smooth shave with a silky smooth result on a beautiful sunny day - enjoy your weekends!

Razor: Ever Ready Ambassador
Blade: GEM Personna
Brush: M&F Stubby - Blonde Badger
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica
Aftershave: Fine Platinum

I am really enjoying SE razors at the moment and I find that the more rigid blade is very good for cutting through coarse stubble. I'm still dialing my technique with the Ambassador and so the shave seemed a little harsh during but there was almost no sting from the aftershave and I was satisfied with a very comfortable DFS. I expect this will continue to improve as I use this razor more.

iwcSfzc.jpg

I am really enjoying SE razors at the moment and I find that the more rigid blade is very good for cutting through coarse stubble. I'm still dialing my technique with the Ambassador and so the shave seemed a little harsh during but there was almost no sting from the aftershave and I was satisfied with a very comfortable DFS. I expect this will continue to improve as I use this razor more.

iwcSfzc.jpg

Great looking shave and razor. Maybe I have to try an SE one day.

Anyone have a Mergress they want to sell..? Anyone have an opinion on them, wanna adjustable razor and like the look...they seem hard to find..
They are hard to find. One was recently sold here on the BST so it's unlucky you missed out.
There's another Progress-modified razor around but a bit more exy than the Mergress I believe. (Don't have the link on hand I'm sorry.)

If you want an adjustable razor, go vintage: Gillette "FatBoy" or "Slim" or "Super" adjustables. They are much cheaper than a Progress (modified or not) and will last longer as they aren't Zamac but real metal. [emoji4]

Also, it sucks we can't buy cheap menthol aftershave....bloody Osage rub costs an arm and a leg to get here...don't know if I can justify it...any ideas?
Aqua Velva is a classic American Barbershop scented mentholated aftershave. You can pick it up for around $10 Aussie on the Bay. If you want something for a $20 then you could go Clubman, but would do better getting Floid. (Vigoroso has the higher menthol kick.)

What a really enjoyable shave. I am beginning to overcome that nervous fear I presume most people experience when they embark on the historical straight razor journey. Tonight I could instinctively place the blade and the whiskers surrendered without bloodshed. The 5/8 hollow made a lovely chattering sound.

5/8 Razor - soap I'm experimenting with, DFS and a big smile.

Steve

iwcSfzc.jpg

Another beautiful brush!

They are hard to find. One was recently sold here on the BST so it's unlucky you missed out.
There's another Progress-modified razor around but a bit more exy than the Mergress I believe. (Don't have the link on hand I'm sorry.)

Here the links or the Mergress - they had some in stock a short time ago. If you Email Lee, he will notify, once they are back in stock...

http://www.leesrazors.com/razors-and-blades/safety-razors/mergress-safety-razors/

The other one you are looking for is the Digress - quiet pricey though, because in Pounds:

https://www.thegentlemansgroomroom.com/products/digress-hd-b-adjustable-safety-razor-brass-retrofit

Status
Not open for further replies.