Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
“ Candles and roses…”

Because everything is better with candles and roses…

Razor | Klas Törnblom Frameback| Soap | Col. Conk Bay Rum | After Shave | Myrosol Aqua de Limón | Sounds | Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

Well. I must say. By candlelight; no other light though some entered through the purple velvet curtains blown by a summer warm breeze and while the razor slid over skin Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman spoke to my soul.

Classy!

Sunday 1 November 2015

217257d1446385370-sun-november-01st-sat-november-07th-sotd-01112015.jpg

Honing a Mastro Livi RWL34 Straight Razor

Everything started when some gentlemen told me about their unsuccessful attempts in honing a Mastro Livi RWL34 straight razor. I admit I never honed a Mastro Livi razor because, so far, none of the ones I own needed any edge refresh or honing. As a matter of fact, the very first Mastro Livi straight razor I bought two years and a half ago still shaves like the first day. The same I can say about my first Mastro Livi RWL34 razor and which I bought a little more than two years ago. I however wanted to try this myself and see how hard or difficult was honing a Mastro Livi RWL34 razor. I opted for this razor - the last RWL34 I bought - severely dulled its edge on a glass, then honed it from scratch using a Naniwa 3k/8k combo hone, a Guang Xi stone (Chinese stone), Mastro Livi loom strop, his chromium oxide stick and hand palm. I needed the last and ultimate test in order to assess the quality of my honing and it had to be, of course, shaving. Well, this RWL34 razor has a beautiful edge capable of giving me a super smooth and velvety shave, just like every Mastro Livi razor is capable of giving. As far as I can tell and based on my own experience, honing a Mastro Livi RWL34 straight razor is nothing different than honing any other stainless steel razor and I must tell this RWL34 stainless steel seems to be quite "docile" when you pass it on a hone. Superb Mastro Livi shave, as usual!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger, Makassar Ebony Handle, 26 mm knot
  • Bowl: Chinese Cheap Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Small Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi RWL34, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Vifrex Gelée

Saturday
3P
Whipped Dog High Mountain
Mickey Lee Soapworks Hallowed Harvest
Ever Ready Featherweight
Gem blade
Speick AS

Sunday
Hot Bath
3P
Plisson Synth
Soapy Bathman - Desperado
Muhle R41
Sputnik (3)
Speick AS
Armani Black Code EdT

Shaving in the bath was a different experience. Got a cold so a hot bath with olbas oil sorted me out quite well. Super smooth after 4 passes with the R41.

20151102_064852_zpsrdn4fp7x.jpg

SOTD Monday, November 2

Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Sensuous Sandlewood
Brush: Edwin Jugger badger
Face lather
Razor: George Butler, Keen

Close, smooth shave except for a nick on my neck, LHS. My left side has mobilty and coordination issues from a past accident and unless I focus fully on the task at hand, slight "steering" problems arise, no matter what the task is. Problematic when weilding something so sharp. Healed over quickly.

Good shave apart from that.

20151102_082506 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Panna Crema San Francesco
Post Shave: Nivea Balm and 4711 AS
Two pass shave with a clean up. Second go at this soap as my first experience wasn't so good. This time I loaded it like I hated it and the results were excellent. Produced a thick creamy lather with a nice sheen. Pleasant scent that is not too strong. Great shave

SOTN
Brush: Shave Revolution HMW
Razor: Weber PH
Soap: WSP Pumpkin Spice

Probably the worst shave since I switched to DE shaving. Soap smells fantastic, almost want to eat it. Brush is good sized handle and works well, could maybe have a touch more backbone but still think it is going to be a favourite brush. Wish the tin was larger to make for easier loading something I have problems with including LPL and PAA small tins (with such better packaging available I don't know why they don't change).

So why the bad shave. Well the soap burnt and then stung on my face. I have used many soaps or many various different types of scents and have never had any problems with any of them that I can remember and never had anywhere near the same burning sensation and redness that it caused. I still did a quick one pass shave and the soap preforms well apart from my reaction to it.
PM me and I will send you a sample of WSP Vetiver.As the ingredient list is very clean I suspect the fragrance must be the culprit.Alternatively I will do a swap if you prefer

20151102_SOTDSDetGraphic_zpssvovvvcv.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: IKON DLC Slant with long Bulldog handle
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon Horse
Lather: Bald As Tallow Lemon Myrtle (Soap made and kindly donated by @bald as )/Esbjerg Grapefruit Cream/Glycerine
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Some great lather fun today, as my Mystic Waters package still hadn't arrived...and that mixture was great. Unbelievable post-shave feel and silky smooth face - perfect start into the new week!

Why is everybody shaving outside, or by candlelight or whatever nowadays?

Do you folks have a bathroom?

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat #16
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium
Brush: M&F 2XL Finest Badger
Soap: L'occitane Cade Rich Cream
Aftershave: Floid Vigoroso

I am very impressed with the performance of Cade rich cream and paired with Floid Vigoroso it made for a nice powdery scented experience.

FzWv2Pn.jpg

I'd like to do the back veranda thing but I'm too lazy to carry all my stuff outside once a week to do that. If I could afford a shelf, mirror, bowl etc. I might do that and go outdoors each day. Winter is the issue with lighting another setup expense. Yep; too poor & definitely tooooo lazy.

Green…”

Razor | Wade and Butcher Special | Cream | Wahl Traditional Barber’s | Brush | Omega Badger | After Shave | Enrique Iglesias Adrenaline Night | Other | Proraso Pre/Post

The Wade and Butcher is in the Monday spot on the weekly rotation specifically for its buttery edge. As I often shave on Sunday afternoon with the slightly aggressive Klas Törnblom I find I need a ‘softer’ edge to follow. All my straights are in their spot in the cases - that is; their place in the weekly rotation, for a very specific reason...

Last edited:
Last edited:

Pffffft bathrooms. That's so like passe man. @Mark1966 like get with the times man and shake the whole like vintage shiny brass thing like man.

Status
Not open for further replies.