Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's not. It'll open up a complete, never ending stream of stones, scales made out of the most exotic timbers/materials you can think of, not to mention endless numbers of blades so I can use the stones and rebuild razors etc etc. And of course the debilitating, justified ridicule from my family. I appreciate your dalliance with DE SPUDS (much less your dalliance with ARKO) but you can't dally with straights. It's all in or nothing. Ultimately in my opinion (DSDF), it's only shaving after all. I can lose myself in sharpening stuff with the far less involved and, dare I say it, rewarding pastime of sharpening knives and the endless number of weird woodworking tools I've got.
..well it's a shame.

Y7rx4Fl.jpg

img_2059.jpg

Proraso White Preshave
Thater 4125/1
Mickey Lee Soapworks La Fee Verte
Gillette Super Adjustable
Gillette Swede (3)
Myrsol Blue AS

Most of my shaving stuff is packed away at the moment bar a small box in my bathroom. Found the MLSW and thought I'd give it a go. Really nice stuff and an unusual but pleasant scent.

20151208_zpsi4nzektj.png

Face Wash : PAA Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsoft Emulsion
Brush : Fine synthetic
Soap : Otoko Organics
Razor : Jerry Stark Spanish Point
After Shave : Myrsol Agua Balsamica
After Shave Splash : Terre d'Hermes

Strange but good...

Found the container of Otoko Organics hiding at the back of my shaving cabinet and decided to use it today. It's a most unusual Aussie product - a soapless shaving soap. It looks unusual in the container - a translucent cake with a sea blue-grey colour. The fragrance is pleasant and the lather it generates is excellent. The guy who invented it originally made it for his own use - he was lookind for plenty of glide, coupled with extra low irritation. I like the stuff, it works really well for me. It also has the small side benefit of washing out of your brush easily and completely, leaving it squeaky clean.

The razor is the Jerry Stark custom I used the other day. It's no Iwasaki but it gave a very smooth, pleasant shave. Jerry himself is a student of steels and tempering, so you don't find the same old 01 Tool Steel that so many other razor makers use (because it's easy to work with and produces an acceptable result). He favours two steels : 52100 (as used in my razor) and D2. They were both chosen for superior smoothness and excellent response to tempering. You can read about him and his razors at http://www.jerryshandmaderazors.com. The other noteworthy thing is that his prices are (in my opinion) extremely reasonable for high quality custom razors - YMMV.

Finished off in the usual way, and am now looking forward to the day ahead :)

20151208_082739 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Green
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Permasharp Super
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: TOBS Coconut
Post Shave: Nivea Balm and Pinaud Clubman
Two pass shave today. There was still a little Saponificio Varesino in the bowl so I whipped up what was left added the TOBS and three drops of glycerin and voila an uber lather.

Oh dear, @Mark1966 - multiple teenage daughters :eek: You must have been a dictator, politician or lawyer in a past life. Oh well, at least you didn't come back as a cockroach ;)

The third child was a big gamble ;)

Brush: New Forest
Soap/Cream: Beaver Woodwright Ghost Ship
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (3)
Post-shave: Myrsol Antesol

I nicked myself. What a stupid bugger. I haven't done this for a while and it was just on the chin - nowhere particularly hard or sensitive.

I can't blame it on the soap (great) or the lather (New Forest worked a treat) or the razor (love the Slim) or the blade (vintage schicks are great).

That only really leaves - operator error!

Just goes to show that you are never too old for good technique. ;)

20151208_SOTDS_zpspfnnj2tg.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon 2-Band
Lather: Mystic Waters Jeff's Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Don't try to wipe your razor clean for your SOTD picture with a blade still inside and don't try to whip up a perfect Mystic Waters lather with people using a nailgun downstairs and other idiots making a hole in your outer wall - besides that was a great shave :D

Don't try to wipe your razor clean for your SOTD picture with a blade still inside and don't try to whip up a perfect Mystic Waters lather with people using a nailgun downstairs and other idiots making a hole in your outer wall - besides that was a great shave

Sounds like a very hostile environment atm, @alfredus! Doesn't sound like much mindfulness was going on :(

Status
Not open for further replies.