Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaver Heaven - heavenly amber, Weber PH with classic handle, PolSilver SI (1), Chubby 2 best, Nivea ASB

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Shaver Heaven is very underrated in my opinion. It performs as well as anything I have (including LPV), it's possibly the best. Super slick, easy to load, lathers in seconds. I love it. @filobiblic may never get his puck back...

My Weber classic handle arrived yesterday. I've never used a handle that long before. It's REALLY long. But I thoroughly enjoyed the shave. The long handle is very forgiving on angle, since it takes more movement from your hand to move the head. I also found it easier to get a good angle under my chin. I know that Chris Bailey loves long handles, and I can see the appeal. I'll definitely keep using it and see how I feel long term.

Chubby 2 was fantastic, as usual.

Brush: FS Shaving Finest Badger
Soap/Cream: Proraso Green (Original tube)
Razor: Fatboy Exec
Blade: Vintage Frenchi Wilkie X ?
After-shave: Floid Vigoroso

Good shave, only let down by the brush, which appears to have been dropped since I last used it, allowing the knot to move slightly.
I still prefer that to the Berkeley as it isn't as soft.

Brush: The Brush
Soap/Cream: Nivea Original
Razor: Rocket 'Parat'
Blade: Swedes
After-shave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport

I rarely shave in the evening but I came back from the gym and needed a shower... I had no choice but to pick up my razor and accomplish my destiny !

20150310_SOTDS_zpsjkvfhjvr.jpg

Brush:
Whipped Dog 24/48 High Mountain
Pre-Shave: Occams Original pre-shave soap
Soap: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Razor: Above the Tie R1 Kronos
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Post-shave: South Australian Organic Olive Oil

Had the potential to be a wonderful shave - face lathering with a real brush again and it felt so great. Half way through my first pass - somebody from spintel calls. I have tried to contact them for more than a week spending at least 3 hours listening to the same crap music - so I had to take the call...

Phone is connected to a rim and they can only provide internet through Telstra and it costs almost double...well shave went only south from there.

But again: Mike's soap together with EVOO - the face feel is out of this world :) :) :)

Shaver Heaven - heavenly amber, Weber PH with classic handle, PolSilver SI (1), Chubby 2 best, Nivea ASB

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Shaver Heaven is very underrated in my opinion. It performs as well as anything I have (including LPV), it's possibly the best. Super slick, easy to load, lathers in seconds. I love it. @filobiblic may never get his puck back...
Ahhhh, that's the kind of praise that encourages its maker: @Anthony [emoji4]

It is darn fine shaving soap. There are so many scents to choose from now. Great to support an Aussie soap maker. [emoji106]

Reactions: MrT
Razor: Feather
Brush: Plisson HMW
Blade: 7 o'clock blade (3)
Cream: GF trumper coconut

Third shave on the black. Good shave but definitely tugging around the jaw area.

As for the Plisson it never disappoints; the lather was thick, creamy and without bubbles.

QbZt3q0.jpg

Brush: Erskine butterscotch reknot
Soap/Cream: Mike's Barbershop
Razor: Gillette OLD Big Boy
Blade: PSS (2)
Post-shave: EVOO
After-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

First RAW shave with the OLD Big Boy - huge thanks to @Mark1966 for the loan - not the smoothest razor I've used, though this is probably understandable noting the OLD-type were made for a thicker blade. So not so pleasant for the first pass, but we got better for subsequent passes. But have to say bonus points for closeness. I achieved a DFS this morning. First time finishing with Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) and @razorguy was spot on, this stuff feels so right. Following a nice mediterranean oil with the Agua Balsamica is absolute perfection. I'm very happy indeed with this new post shave routine and line-up. Seriously anyone with Agua Balsamica - try a little (yep 3 drops) EVOO before the MAB splash.

Great to see Nannys out Filo!

Great stuff, I'm on the Citrus burst at the moment.

QbZt3q0.jpg

Brush: Erskine butterscotch reknot
Soap/Cream: Mike's Barbershop
Razor: Gillette OLD Big Boy
Blade: PSS (2)
Post-shave: EVOO
After-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

First RAW shave with the OLD Big Boy - huge thanks to @Mark1966 for the loan - not the smoothest razor I've used, though this is probably understandable noting the OLD-type were made for a thicker blade. So not so pleasant for the first pass, but we got better for subsequent passes. But have to say bonus points for closeness. I achieved a DFS this morning. First time finishing with Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) and @razorguy was spot on, this stuff feels so right. Following a nice mediterranean oil with the Agua Balsamica is absolute perfection. I'm very happy indeed with this new post shave routine and line-up. Seriously anyone with Agua Balsamica - try a little (yep 3 drops) EVOO before the MAB splash.

That looks like a dream!

What's your opinion of the knot/ what type of knot is in it?

Last edited:

My Weber classic handle arrived yesterday. I've never used a handle that long before. It's REALLY long. But I thoroughly enjoyed the shave. The long handle is very forgiving on angle, since it takes more movement from your hand to move the head. I also found it easier to get a good angle under my chin. I know that Chris Bailey loves long handles, and I can see the appeal. I'll definitely keep using it and see how I feel long term.

Chubby 2 was fantastic, as usual.

Did you pickup that chubby in the shave shed sale?

Well it seems that olive oil is the way to go from all the responses around here.

Might just give it a go myself in the morning - found this gourmet one in the pantry to try ...

Well it seems that olive oil is the way to go from all the responses around here.

Might just give it a go myself in the morning - found this gourmet one in the pantry to try ...

I'd not assume to know much about the use of EVOO mate, so will leave it to @razorguy , however I understand that it can really sting if you get a cut or nick in the shave...so I assume the chilli infusion might amplify things somewhat. Hmmmm.....

That looks like a dream!

What's your opinion of the knot/ what type of knot is in it?

Mate I bought this off @Mark1966 , who had @Pjotr do the reknot, so either of these two fellas is better placed to answer the technical aspects. My understanding is that it is a TGN Finest knot and somewhere in the 18-21mm region. Be honest I was sceptical at first, as it's a small knot but it strikes a nice balance between a nice soft face feel and decent backbone, and easily produces enough lather for 3-4 passes.. Got to say though the handle is excellent for both the face and the bowl. Makes me eye beehives TBH. I got to say I lucked out with this brush....

I would not suggest you to use that oil on your skin! It seems to be an olive oil infused with chili bell pepper and it is very likely it contains capsaicin, a substance known to be irritant for the skin. It will certainly be tasty for your food, tough. Enjoy it for seasoning your soups or salad in case you like them hot!

I would not suggest you to use that oil on your skin! It seems to be an olive oil infused with chili bell pepper and it is very likely it contains capsaicin, a substance known to be irritant for the skin. It will certainly be tasty for your food, tough. Enjoy it for seasoning your soups or salad in case you like them hot!

Was never going to happen mate - the dry Australian humour at work.

Thanks for the warning though :)

Pre-Shave: Proraso Pre/Post Shave Cream
Brush: Semogue Mistura
Soap/Cream: Latha (Thanks @Nonick )
Razor: Best British (Made in Australia)
Blade: Gillette Platinum - Fresh blade
Post-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel Rose
After-shave: Myrsol Blue

First shave with B&M Latha and it did not disappoint. This stuff lathers easily into a rich and cushiony layer. The scent is quite clean and pleasant. A budget priced @Barrister & Mann soap at $US10 for 4oz and hard to fault. Thanks to @Nonick for sending me a sample. I can see myself ordering a tin in the future.

The Best British is a vintage Australian Made OC razor. Apart from a thread I found on B&B, a photo of the tin case, and a couple of WA newspaper ads dating back to the early 1940's, I have very little information on it's history. This one is small by DE standards, thin handle. The finish is quite basic and rudimentary. Doubt that the factory used sophisticated machinery to manufacture these. Apart from "Best British" stamping on the handle there are no other markings. Despite these shortcomings it actually shaves quite well. Ranks between mild to low aggression. Coupled with a fresh Gillette Platinum it cut through my 4-day growth with no issues. Smooth and close finish. You ever come across one of these @Mark1966 or know of other Aussie made DE razors?

Myrsol Blue turned out to be a good match for the Latha.

rZRzeRh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.