Shave of the Day - 2024

Le Maurice? Looks like La Faulx from where I'm sitting. :D

You must be the only member of this forum (other than @Errol of course) with a collection of AD razors. They're definitely worth collecting (y)
pPQa2FV.jpg

hurry-and-buy-rush-sale.gif

MEdzIMf.jpg

7ar0Njn.png

goKjWRb.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Owners Club LE 2012 Mixed Badger/Boar
Soap: Barrister and Mann Terror
Razor: Blutt BR-1 (1.20mm)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Barrister and Mann Terror Aftershave Lotion

7ar0Njn.png

goKjWRb.jpg

That's why I left Perth. :rolleyes: When that Free Mental Doctor doesn't come in for days, it can make you hot in bed...

PXL-20231227-195659166-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: TroyCraft "Opalesque" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Valobra + a drop of rose EO 3‰
Razor: Atelier Durdan Vestige
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Ardi late pick, Ethiopia

I don't seem to be able to leave this soap alone at the moment. Needless to say, I'm getting through it quickly, but that's just too bad.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Platypus P&C LE 2017 26mm Bulb Manchurian White
Soap/Cream:- Essence of Scotland ~ Highland Bothy
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Ball End Tech (Gold) 1946-50 made in US / Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow Sharp Edge #5
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

rntqNqQh.jpg

Pre-shave: Shower.
Brush: Crappy Synthetic
Soap: Barrister and Mann - Brew Ha Ha.
Razor: Gillette Slim L1 (9/5/3)
Blade: Astra Blue.
Post-shave: Barrister and Mann Balm - Brew Ha Ha.

Finally put in some time to fix the slant on my Gillette Slim. Tried adjusting it with a butter knife for maybe an hour with no success before developing my own technique which worked really well for this particular slant where I believe one shoulder joint was higher than the other. First image shows original slant, second image shows me WAY overshooting, and final image shows what I landed on.
z0q2ibol.jpg

7Ra0SDLl.jpg

ewUgSaml.jpg

I still have an issue where one side has a larger gap than the other, tried tackling it but had no luck, any thoughts? At least both are parallel with the bar now.

Had a nice shave, definitely feels different than my 6C but gives a similar end result. A bit more irritated compared to my 6C, I think starting on 9 was where I went wrong.

rntqNqQh.jpg

Pre-shave: Shower.
Brush: Crappy Synthetic
Soap: Barrister and Mann - Brew Ha Ha.
Razor: Gillette Slim L1 (9/5/3)
Blade: Astra Blue.
Post-shave: Barrister and Mann Balm - Brew Ha Ha.

Finally put in some time to fix the slant on my Gillette Slim. Tried adjusting it with a butter knife for maybe an hour with no success before developing my own technique which worked really well for this particular slant where I believe one shoulder joint was higher than the other. First image shows original slant, second image shows me WAY overshooting, and final image shows what I landed on.
z0q2ibol.jpg

7Ra0SDLl.jpg

ewUgSaml.jpg

I still have an issue where one side has a larger gap than the other, tried tackling it but had no luck, any thoughts? At least both are parallel with the bar now.

Had a nice shave, definitely feels different than my 6C but gives a similar end result. A bit more irritated compared to my 6C, I think starting on 9 was where I went wrong.
You slim need proper repairs and I would send it directly to Razor Emporium in US.

You slim need proper repairs and I would send it directly to Razor Emporium in US.
Are you noticing other issues with it or just because it has a different blade gap on the front vs back? How do I know if this razor is worth restoring versus buying an already restored one?

I might have to pretend this is a slim with 18 adjustable settings for the time being. Shipping would probably bring it to $150+

Are you noticing other issues with it or just because it has a different blade gap on the front vs back? How do I know if this razor is worth restoring versus buying an already restored one?

I might have to pretend this is a slim with 18 adjustable settings for the time being. Shipping would probably bring it to $150+
Blade alignment across the safety bar is out of alignment or out of wack when the butterfly doors are closed, and the adjustment settings on the dial is also causing another issue as well with the clipping mechanism.

Send a photo to both Razor Emporium and Black Roads Gold for additional advice and quotes.

Last edited:
7ar0Njn.png

goKjWRb.jpg

That's more days above 38C than we've had all summer in Adelaide. A couple of weeks ago I heard that this has been our second coolest summer for 30 years.