Shave of the Day - 2024

rmM2Pg0.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Owners Club LE 2012 Mixed Badger/Boar
Soap: Ariana & Evans Khalifa
Razor: Blutt BR-1 (1.20mm)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (6)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Barrister and Mann Leviathan Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Parfums de Marly Herod EdP

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: TroyCraft "Vazon Forest" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Castle Forbes Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Ardi late pick, Ethiopia

A late post for this morning's shave. It's been a while since I used this setup, and I'd almost forgotten how sublime it is. Sadly, the bottom of the tub is now peeking shyly through the soap.

1.png

Soap: Castle Forbes Lavender
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne

A late post for this morning's shave. It's been a while since I used this setup, and I'd almost forgotten how sublime it is. Sadly, the bottom of the tub is now peeking shyly through the soap.
Beautiful set-up.

PXL-20240210-224102198-PORTRAIT.jpg

Soap: Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood

Staying with the Castle Forbes theme for the weekend...

QtVuDvVh.jpg

Pre-shave: Water.
Brush: TroyTools - Honey Pearl (2 Band Badger).
Soap: Razorock Black Label
Razor: Pearl Flexi (4/3/1)
Blade: Astra Blue.
Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive Balm.

Oh man that was a rough shave and my neck is red. Can someone help me identify what qualities about the pearl flexi might be causing this for me? Blade gap, exposure, geometry? I was trying hard to focus on my technique with it by making adjustments in pressure and angle, but couldn't get it to feel nice on the skin. For reference I normally use the 6C on setting #4 which is a joy, and can use up to setting 9 on the gillette slim and while that certainly requires more concentration for me and I wouldn't do more than 1 pass on it, it doesn't feel rough/stingy like the flexi does. Setting #1 on the pearl flexi is perhaps the only setting where I don't feel the sting.

I wouldn't say I have the experience to identify exact shave qualities about the razor other than how I feel during and after, but if someone who has tried the flexi and perhaps the others and knows the subtle differences could chime in, I would greatly appreciate that :)

SOTD – Sun 11 Feb 2024

SOTD-20240211-setup.png

Shave Report: I rate Cyril R.Salter creams slightly better performing than TOBS. The lather produced was creamy medium-low density. The scent is a definite Rose forward floral aroma, the addition of Geranium seems to give it fresh clean floral aroma, this is my favourite Rose scented soap, scent strength 7/10. The TRC with the Shark blade gave me a wonderful mild, clean & smooth DFS with no weepers nor irritations.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Dscosmetic “Coffee” with 24/56 Synthetic G7 Knot
  • Soap: Cyril R.Salter - Wild Rose, Luxury Shaving Cream
  • Bowl: Noodle Bowl with Non-slip shower sticker
  • Razor: The Razor Company (TRC) AL, I believe in partnership with “Simple Clean Shave” (SCS Model-A) (40gm)
  • Blade: Shark Platinum by Lord (1)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS with added Menthol
  • Balm: Proraso Refreshing (Green) Crema Pre Barba
  • After Shave: Dana English Leather AS Lotion
  • Moisturiser (Later): Nivea Men - Anti-Irritation AS Lotion