Shave of the Day - 2024

QtVuDvVh.jpg

Pre-shave: Water.
Brush: TroyTools - Honey Pearl (2 Band Badger).
Soap: Razorock Black Label
Razor: Pearl Flexi (4/3/1)
Blade: Astra Blue.
Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive Balm.

Oh man that was a rough shave and my neck is red. Can someone help me identify what qualities about the pearl flexi might be causing this for me? Blade gap, exposure, geometry? I was trying hard to focus on my technique with it by making adjustments in pressure and angle, but couldn't get it to feel nice on the skin. For reference I normally use the 6C on setting #4 which is a joy, and can use up to setting 9 on the gillette slim and while that certainly requires more concentration for me and I wouldn't do more than 1 pass on it, it doesn't feel rough/stingy like the flexi does. Setting #1 on the pearl flexi is perhaps the only setting where I don't feel the sting.

I wouldn't say I have the experience to identify exact shave qualities about the razor other than how I feel during and after, but if someone who has tried the flexi and perhaps the others and knows the subtle differences could chime in, I would greatly appreciate that :)
I haven't tried the Pearl Flexi, but I have found the Astra Blue blades to be a bit on the rough side, though some people rate them highly. I'd suggest trying something like a Gillette Minora, German Wilkie or Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow. Not necessarily in that order though.

Otherwise, maybe you need to lift the handle of your razor away from your face so as to present a closer angle of blade to skin.

HTH...

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger 27/50mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Essence of Scotland ~ Malt 'n' Myrtle
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Ball End Tech (Gold) 1946-50 made in US / Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow Sharp Edge #6
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

PXL-20240211-203227466-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Macchiato" Snow Leopard
Soap: Valobra + a drop of petitgrain EO
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Ardi late pick, Ethiopia

QtVuDvVh.jpg

Brush: TroyTools - Honey Pearl (2 Band Badger).
Soap: Razorock Black Label
Razor: Pearl Flexi (4/3/1)
Blade: Astra Blue.

Oh man that was a rough shave and my neck is red. Can someone help me identify what qualities about the pearl flexi might be causing this for me? Blade gap, exposure, geometry? I was trying hard to focus on my technique with it by making adjustments in pressure and angle, but couldn't get it to feel nice on the skin. For reference I normally use the 6C on setting #4 which is a joy, and can use up to setting 9 on the gillette slim and while that certainly requires more concentration for me and I wouldn't do more than 1 pass on it, it doesn't feel rough/stingy like the flexi does. Setting #1 on the pearl flexi is perhaps the only setting where I don't feel the sting.

I wouldn't say I have the experience to identify exact shave qualities about the razor other than how I feel during and after, but if someone who has tried the flexi and perhaps the others and knows the subtle differences could chime in, I would greatly appreciate that :)
@Castcore Hi, sorry to hear that you are having trouble. Can I make a few suggestions? First, you may want to try settings 1/2/3 or 1/2/2 for your 1st, 2nd and 3rd passes. Second, it is essential when using the Flexi not to apply any pressure, let the blade and the weight of the razor do all the work. If you are having trouble finding the angle, I suggest a look at this video.
A smoother, milder blade may also be worth a try, e.g. Treet Super Platinum or Gillette Wilkinson Sword. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
PXL-20240102-214430348-PORTRAIT.jpg

Brush: Forgotten Art "takayna" shoat
Soap: Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood
Razor: Atelier Durdan Vestige
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Stirling Finest Badger 26/54mm bulb knot
Soap/Cream:- Essence of Scotland ~ Malt 'n' Myrtle
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Ball End Tech 1946-50 made in England / NOS English Wilky #6
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

PXL-20240213-195138989-PORTRAIT.jpg

Brush: TroyCraft "Opalesque" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Valobra + a drop of lavender EO (Lyndoch, SA)
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline

Brush: Wahl Synthetic.
Soap: Wilkinson Sword Stick.
Razor: Pearl Flexi (1/2)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword.

This shave was for yesterday (13th). Changed things up with the pearl flexi, didn't get very good results but far less irritation, I think I might put it on hold again for a bit as it makes me not want to shave.
I was in the process of cleaning my razors when a huge storm hit yesterday.
chDLbLnl.jpg

It got incredibly intense very quickly and I was quite worried about where to stand inside the house as we have big trees surrounding us. The hail was hitting the windows so hard I thought it would shatter them. The hail was literally half the size of ice cubes.
fE4yv0hl.jpg

In the end we had three huge branches come down but by some miracle they just missed the house. Been a big day of cleaning up so far. The image does not do the size justice.
xOSoXq1l.jpg

We had the power go out part way during the storm, but tend to be very lucky being on the same power grid as a hospital so the power was back before midnight. Thoughts going out to everyone else affected by the storm, hope you're doing ok :)