Shave of the Day - 2024

HM.jpg

Razor: Eversharp Hydro-magic 1954-57
Blade: Supply Black
Brush: Dscosmetics 26mm Boar
Soap: MWF (Vegan)

27 May
Yintal "HongT" ⅞ half hollow with factory edge and dressed in red beechwood timber scales. Lather was by Rozorock blue label.
MC1imaQ.jpg

The edge on this razor did cut whiskers - just. It only lasted the first pass where is was almost painful to shave with and left a lot of whiskers untouched. I then changed to my no-brand Solingen ⅝full hollow finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa and dressed in golden wattle timber scales. A smile was brought to my face.
aSXhxsz.jpg

20bXHa8.jpg

RAZOR: Gillette ‘80s British Tech Ipe Wood Handle
BLADE: Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdgeYellow
BRUSH: Frank Shaving 24mm Silvertip Badger
LATHER: Taylor‌ ‌of‌ ‌Old‌ ‌Bond‌ ‌Street‌ ‌Sandalwood‌ ‌Shaving‌ ‌Cream‌
POST: Taylor Of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion​

PXL-20240528-210822912-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: TroyCraft "Nebulish" 30mm silvertip
Soap: Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood
Razor: Atelier Durdan Vestige
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

I seem to have got stuck on this setup. But this soap is almost gone, the Vestige is going so well, and this big badger still can't be trusted with any of my hard soaps... 😐

I really enjoy collecting and using vintage SR’s. One of the perks of being retired is that I have the time to research their provenance. Below is a razor sold by the J. Coudert department store in Paris c.1905-1920. Their razors were usually made in Thiers, France by either Thiers-Issard, Le Grelot or Fontenille and stamped with the J. Coudert name.

The original acrylic scales were so warped that the blade would not close. The price I paid for it reflected this defect. After cleaning and polishing, the blade is now dressed in African Wenge (pronounced When-gay) wood with brass pins. This was my second attempt at installing new scales. I wasn’t happy with my initial results, so I watched another YouTube video and tried again. Now I’m happy.

It was honed on my Shapton 1k, 5k, 8k,12k stones and then stropped on .5, .25 and .01 diamond pasted balsa.

What a great shave!
121.jpg

Coudert.jpg

J. Coudert 6/8 Hollow
TroyCraft 26mm Silvertip
Phoenix & Beau "Spitfire"

PXL-20240529-221541660-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: TroyCraft "Nebulish" 30mm silvertip
Soap: Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

And then there's this...