Shave of the Day - 2024

Pre-shave:- Cool Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Paladin Cleo 26/52mm Bulb in Cobalt
Soap/Cream:- The Gentleman's Groom Room ~ Buddha Wood
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Minora Stainless #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Moisturising Cream:- Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Fragrance-Free (for autumn & winter season)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss Intense

I really enjoy collecting and using vintage SR’s. One of the perks of being retired is that I have the time to research their provenance. Below is a razor sold by the J. Coudert department store in Paris c.1905-1920. Their razors were usually made in Thiers, France by either Thiers-Issard, Le Grelot or Fontenille and stamped with the J. Coudert name.

The original acrylic scales were so warped that the blade would not close. The price I paid for it reflected this defect. After cleaning and polishing, the blade is now dressed in African Wenge (pronounced When-gay) wood with brass pins. This was my second attempt at installing new scales. I wasn’t happy with my initial results, so I watched another YouTube video and tried again. Now I’m happy.

It was honed on my Shapton 1k, 5k, 8k,12k stones and then stropped on .5, .25 and .01 diamond pasted balsa.

What a great shave!
121.jpg

Coudert.jpg

J. Coudert 6/8 Hollow
TroyCraft 26mm Silvertip
Phoenix & Beau "Spitfire"
Always nice to see a little piece of historical craftsmanship restored to perform its task for many years to come, well done!

PXL-20240530-213647740-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: TroyCraft "Opalesque" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Art of Shaving (Valobra) Sandalwood
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

31 May (金曜日 かみそり - Kin'yōbi kamisori)
It was a pleasure getting back to shaving with my Yamamasa kamisori. Having a sheathing on the gara, even being just shrink tubing and clear enamel, has made it easier to handle - or I am just getting use to it.
njf5gfY.jpg

I shave exclusively with the Omoge side to my skin and am now getting almost a BBS finish on my neck.