Shave of the Day - 2024

GD.jpg

Pre: Pears Soap
Razor: Gold Dollar "66" courtesy of @rbscebu
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Cashmere
Croap: Cella

You wouldn't know. Pears doesn't have good slickness that SR shavers desire.

There are many soaps that are acceptable to "safety" razor shavers that are not acceptable to SR shavers and vice versa.
Rubbish, Pears soaps has been around since 1789 for straight razors.

images

images

images

images

Pears Shaving Soap Stick and today's Pears Bath Soap? I doubt that they are the same formula. I will wash with it (pre-shave) and then shave with real shaving soap/cream made for SR men.

I think you didn't read the linked thread.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC Two Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mike s Natural ~ Bay Rum
Razor/Blade:- Blackbird Lite SS Polished / Vintage Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #11
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tabac 'Craftsman' Natural Spray EDT

You wouldn't know. Pears doesn't have good slickness that SR shavers desire.

There are many soaps that are acceptable to "safety" razor shavers that are not acceptable to SR shavers and vice versa.
@rbscebu, or @SpeedyPC (or other Forum members) I've seen many sites on soaps by scent, gm per $ value, numerous reviews, fat V non-fat performance, brand A v brand B, etc etc etc!!
But is there anything you are aware of that lists/shows/gauges soap variances (slickness quality etc) for DE vs SR users?
Just interested re the comments above on the Pears?

@rbscebu, or @SpeedyPC (or other Forum members) I've seen many sites on soaps by scent, gm per $ value, numerous reviews, fat V non-fat performance, brand A v brand B, etc etc etc!!
But is there anything you are aware of that lists/shows/gauges soap variances (slickness quality etc) for DE vs SR users?
Just interested re the comments above on the Pears?
Pears soap are very slick, but, the soap doesn’t provide enough lather cushions, so make sure you give it a bloody good load with plenty of water. Pears soap does dry out quickly, if, you don’t provide enough water.

IMG-20240110-173246.jpg

Brush: Troycraft Rainbow Falls 28mm 2 Band Finest Fan
Razor: Blackland Vector SB Ti
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (3)
Pre: Shower
Soap: Pb Smokey Lavender - thanks @Pbgoose (y)
WTG, ATG, Touchups = BBS

Its been a while since I shared a SOTD post and what better excuse than when you receive a care package from @Pbgoose with a large sample of his newest soap and first impressionas are that the scent is a real winner when compared to my other lavender themed soaps. I've been lucky enough to sample some other scents he's made and the soap base is amongst some of the best I have tried so I wasn't missing the chance to test the new soap once it arrived!

I'll admit I'm not a fan of lavender soaps as most smell like those cheapo garbage bags or a mixture of scents so I was intrigued to see how this one would stackup and the smell is delightful and the closest example I have to a traditional lavender scent. Its not overly sweet with some smokey over tones that I found myself going back to admire the scent and it was equally pleasant when lathering so a real winner from me!

There's not much to add regarding performance as the soap whipped up nicely with good slickness and premium post shave feel that I really didn't need any aftershave product but I couldn't resist grabbing some Blue Devil's Lavender Patch to finsih off what was a very enjoyable shave... If only we could convince our busy mate to produce some LE tubs for purchase as I'd be first in line to buy as you know you're getting premium home made soap using natural ingredients and the selection of scents is unique and pleasant... OK the bush fire themed one was a bit too smokey but it takes a lot to upset my nose, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with next. Cheers... 🍻

Or………… and I know this is out there ……… but just use a shaving soap?
LceSUFe.gif

Pears is good enough to use as a shaving soap, for those who are on a tight A$$ budget or a cheapskate. And maybe a spoiled little brat cheapie like @Mycroft47 Holmes, who loves and can’t give up on high quality whisky, wine and cigars so much.

Last edited:

SOTD – Wed 10 Jan 2024

SOTD-20240110-setup.png

VID20240110154611-lather.png

Shave Report: The Cyril R. Salter soap puck is a good size to fit into a mug, however, instead I sliced off a small soap portion (0.7gm) that I pressed into my bowl which I moistened with wet fingers before building lather, starting with a damp brush and slowly adding 15ml of water. Lather produced was lovely and creamy medium density stable lather that has great performance considering the low price. The scent is a mild Lavender aroma with scent strength 4/10. The Overlander performed wonderfully with the Cloud blade, a DFS with no irritations.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Natio for Men - Smooth Shave Gel [A]
  • Brush: Billy Goat “Sunfire” with Lansky G5 25/53 [A]
  • Soap: Cyril R. Salter Solid Shaving Soap
  • Bowl: Whispers From The Woods [A]
  • Razor: Karve AL Overlander
  • Blade: Cloud Super Stainless, Platinum Coated (1)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS Tonic with added Menthol
  • Balm: Natio for Men - Calming AS Balm [A]
  • After Shave: 4711 AS Lotion
  • Moisturiser (Later): Swisse Daily Face Moisturiser [A]
[A] = Australian Product