Razor: Weber
Blade: Wilkinson Super Sword
Soap: Le Pere Lucien
A/S: Real Shaving Balm
Cologne: GFT Wellington

Thursday 29 December 2016

SOTD-29122016.jpg

Mastro Livi Inox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point

In these days I like shaving with small Mastro Livi blades and I am using all of my 6/8 razors made by the revered and worldwide famous artisan from Perugia. It is the case of today's shave as I chose this stainless steel 6/8 full ground with a round point. Lovely shave, smooth and close as usual, Mastro Livi razors always deliver the excellence of shave. I also like lately using my Mastro Livi brushes as I believe the lofts he puts on these brushes are excellent and a joy to use. This bristle brush is absolutely amazing with a stiff backbone however soft enough to be pleasurable on the skin. Pinaud Clubman Classic did the rest with its round fragrance and good post shave action.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Tea Eucalyptus Chaving Cream
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Bleached Boar Bristle, Padouk Handle, 26mm Knot
  • Bowl: Bamboo Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Inox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Pinaud Clubman Classic

20161229_SOTD_S_P2_zpsuv9llkwm.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S1 Colossus
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic
Lather: Mystic Water Natural
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Coniferous, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Might be my last for the year as well... hope you enjoy as much as I did (y)

sy5w39v.jpg

La Toja Pre Shave
Doug Korn D7 TGN
Gillette Fatboy
Feather
Jabonman Brisa de Oriente
Australian Private Reserve Easterly Breeze Aftershave Balm
Australian Private Reserve Easterly Breeze Aftershave

Currently stinking hot in Sydney, 37C yesterday (26 overnight low - AC thank f***) with NIL wind with another 35C day on the way which is just the ticket for the Cardamom and spice notes of the always superb performing Breeze of the East. Blisteringly good lather this morning, it's a soap that due to composition is a lot less troublesome than some but even then, once you get familiar with the character of Manuel's formulation you can easily see why his soap is so sought after - it's superb and flattens all benchmarks hands down.

Following my discussion with Manuel I formulated a balm and splash to accompany the soap, without his assistance in this regard I doubt I would have been able to pair it so accurately as the base notes came as a real surprise, anyway it's a very slightly sweet, fragrant spice middle with a sweet cardamom top that is ideal for hot weather. The notes originally selected for the soap lend themselves perfectly to the searingly hot Spanish summer and thus do the same for our equally hot climes.

In truth I do have some reservations about selling the remainder of this fragrance (I make them all to wear myself, if others want them then cool!) as while I did formulate it myself he did impart the notes he used. He is probably the last person I would want to affront or disrespect. I am unsure, I'm on the horns of a dilemma as it's a smashing summer scent and one I would like to share.

A bit of thinking out loud this morning I suppose....an effortless 2 passes with tepid water for this mornings shave. Well, the water from the pipes was teaming with residual heat and there was no noticeable downside in not using hot for prep or rinse between passes. Slow and leisurely being the order of the day. I'm really enjoying this month holiday bit as after the SA trip it's just been reading, cooking (my other hobby), sleeping in, films, talking to pals in the US and EU, mucking about in my lab kitchen formulating accords making aftershave and buying shaving gear.

Enjoy your shaves you capital aussie bastards :)

Razor: Vintage Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (3)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak, reknotted in TGN finest
Soap/Cream: Cold River Soap Works - Bergamont and Bay
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co - Sharp Dressed Man

Best shave yet with the Darwin.

Tamed? No

Mastered? No

Mutual respectful relationship? Yep, and that is where I think it will stay!

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 30 December 2016

Brush: - Omega 10065 Green Handle 24/54mm
Lather: - Arko Shaving Soap
Razor: - RazoRock German 37 Slant
Blade: - Perma-Sharp Super #4
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: - Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EDT

Brush: $5 eBay badger cheapie
Razor: West Coast Shaving Midngiht Series
Blade: Feather
Pre: Emu Oil Lotion and bloom water from soap
Shave Soap: Catie's Bubbles Caltic Knot
Aftershave Balm: Captain's Choice Sandlewood
Fragrance: Spicebomb EDT

It's a really nice combo.

Last edited:
Shave Soap: Catie's Bubbles Caltic Knot

That's another take on Creed GIT from what I read and quite good, how does it compare to Stirling or other 'types' ?

0mkRE9v.jpg

December 30, 2016

Stealth Slant
Astra
Shavemac D01 2 Band
Barrister and Mann "Seville"
Australian Private Reserve "L'endroit orange" combo

One thing I have to say about the Barrister and Mann Seville is that I really do enjoy the scent. During his recent trip to sleepy Adelaide @todras was kind enough to bring some samples of his latest splashes and balms. The "L'endroit orange" is a dead ringer to the Seville and is a fantastic accompaniment to the soap. I found that with this splash it still takes some time for my skin to absorb all of the essential oils whereas I found with another APR splash the other day that this was not the case. Not sure what the reason behind this is and perhaps one of our resident chemists has some input to share? Is it perhaps because we absorb some oils more readily than others? In any event both the splash and the balm fulfil their purpose wonderfully. I find that the B&M soaps do not leave the same luxurious post shave feel as I enjoy from Mike's Natural Soaps but the APR combo easily takes care of that and leaves my skin feeling hydrated, refreshed and soft. I did find that this particular scent did not last as long as some other APR scents but this too is not an issue as I enjoy using an EDT most days. Another outstanding offering from @todras and I have no issue whatsoever recommending that you give it a try.

I did find that this particular scent did not last as long as some other APR scents

Nature of the beast I'm sorry to say, when it comes to bergamot that is non toxic (bergaptene free) and lemon they are fleeting - if it's any consolation I cracked a bottle of AdP EDT just the other day and 2 sprays on the neck lasts around 1 hour 30 mins tops. Compounds like limonen and linalool are so volatile as terpene alcohols.

There are many variables when it comes to absorption, everything from environmental factors (warm, hot or humid weather equate to faster evaporation) to the current state of your skin. I think though that your skin does not in fact absorb the essential oils rather they evaporate from the face with the top notes being the most chemically volatile and therefore evaporating readily followed by the heart then the base notes. This is why fixatives are used to slow the process somewhat.

The reason that you can feel the aftershave on your face for slightly longer is that one of the compounds in Oakmoss (Evernia prunastri,) called methyl 2,4-dihydroxy-3,6-dimethylbenzoate is a fixative and is used to slow the rate of evaporation so the scent endures for as long as possible, glycerin is also shares some of the same fixative properties. That being said, citrus scents are highly volatile and a real citrus accord will never have the endurance of the other notes which is a damm shame as I would love the scent of AdP (and L'Endroit Orange) to stay with me all day.

I am really pleased that you like the scent, I put a lot of effort into making it harmonize with Seville as closely as possible as it is one of my favorite fragrance families and favorite soaps. Very much appreciate your testing, using and providing feedback too :)

Razor: Vintage Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (4)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson AS2
Soap/Cream: Truefitt & Hill 1805 Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Truefitt & Hill 1805 Aftershave

S-M-O-O-T-H

Loving the Darwin now, little 'retro' with the 1805

de5d6b6eadb0aebc131711b515044638.jpg

Razor:Merkur 15C
Brush: Shavemac 26x54
Soap: CRSW V2
Blade: Feather

Decided to try the V2 CRWS I got some time ago. This stuff lathers like no ones business. But alas! [emoji33]I think I'm sensitive to something in it as I get the tingles [emoji24]post shave my skin felt conditioned but a bit distressed although not apparent to the eye. Scent was a citrusy barbershop with nice presence during the shave. Keep an eye open on the BST... [emoji22]

Last edited by a moderator:
xey01nT.png

My last shave for 2016 with special thanks to @filobiblic

Razor:
Gillette NEW LC
Blade: Bluebird Platinum
Brush: Semogue 2012 LE
Soap/Cream: The Widow Maker
Aftershave: The Widow Maker

Have a great New Year's and may you all have a healthy and prosperous 2017.

4PmRNZ9.jpg

La Toja Pre Shave
Doug Korn D7 TGN
Above The Tie Colossus R1
Feather
@bald as soap généraux du grand livre
APR généraux du grand livre Aftershave Balm
APR généraux du grand livre Aftershave

Quite a bloody treat this morning, during my recent SA foray I was kindly given some unscented soap courtesy of the resident straight maestro and no bullshit talking @bald as who is also a very accomplished soap maker - what is it about SA that not only do they have elite 'A' list uber shave kit personalities, they also have heritage and highly valuable vintage straight razor collectors and advocates - I reckon it must be something in the water. Anyway, I took half the quantity I was so kindly given and scented it with a percentage of perfume base for the Generals Ledger after gently heating the soap, the results were spectacular with the soap holding the fantastic fragrance and setting perfectly. The consistency of the soap is spot on, it's not rock hard and not too soft which makes pre-loading really easy.

This soap lathers beautifully and reminds me of Fine soaps in lather and performance - bald as makes excellent soap it must be said, the soap effects a slick protective lather with ample cushion and excellent glide that is wonderfully smooth. I went with a lukewarm water shave again today with no apparent deficiencies, irritation or cuts and the usual 2 passes then on with the Fougère. I like the base notes of the Generals Ledger so much I am seriously considering a Winter edition called, unsurprisingly 'The Generals Other Ledger' that will see a revision of the mids and tops to provide notes that seat in a cooler, colder environment. I intend petitioning the General himself to solicit his favorite winter notes for inclusion and I suspect he will no doubt have a spread-sheet detailing his preferences in this regard.

As we are on the cusp of 2017 I would like to wish all of you, yes even the grumpy cantankerous old bastard with his 18mm boars, a happy, safe and prosperous New Year. Look after each other, if you party please party safe and remember thy neighbour.

Fare thee well Gentlemen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.