9VVAZmq.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime Pre
Doug Korn D7 TGN Finest
Above the Tie Colossus R1
Feather Blade
Mystic Water Pompelmo & Fiori
APR - pamplemousse injonction Aftershave Balm
APR - pamplemousse injonction Aftershave Balm

Fantastic shave this morning, back in my own place and comfortable after a great nights sleep. Another strong citrus today, the fantastic performance of Mystic Water soap with her Grapefruit and Flowers soap was just the ticket. A real tartness contrasted with the sweet hints of Lilly, when I first got the sample from her I just knew it would be in high rotation come summer. I picked up Stirling's Grapefruit Soap and splash, it's nice and is a great performer but the scent is just Grapefruit and has absolutely no depth unfortunately whereas Mystic brings the oak-moss and floral depth to the proceedings and imho produces a superior lather.

The first outing of my own contribution to the proceedings, Grapefruit Injunction! - Seek immediate relief from the heat ... So yes, another particularly stupid name even by my 'bloody stupid name' standards although I am quite chuffed with the formula and the fit to the soap. I like to take elements of my morning shave with me and this number sits atop the Mystic very well indeed. For a citrus it has some staying power as I used both white and pink grapefruit with the addition of a few other elements for their bite to to rest on.

Quite a few errands to run today unsurprisingly, it's a good thing the stifling 70% RH/30C Sydney weather will be along for the ride too!

Have a grouse day and shave well you bloody elegant bastards :)

Razor: Vintage Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke'
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars Aftershave Splash

Decided to put aside (not ditch!) the Light Brigade and go back to my 'reference' blade for new razors. The result? It is not a blade issue!

The Darwin was just as aggressive as it has been and while in some areas I think I have the angle sorted in others not so much - still some rawness and weepers.

A fair SLAP from the HeV splash reminded me of what a good job @todras has done with the APR- les généraux du grand livre. I might run the Light Brigade in a Fatboy for a while and give my face a rest before coming back to this beauty.

Oh, and I FINISHED another product today - The finished products sticky

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 28 December 2016

Brush: - Semogue SOC Boar in Cherry Wood 24/55mm
Lather: - Arko Shaving Soap
Razor: - RazoRock German 37 Slant
Blade: - Perma-Sharp Super #3
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Nivea Original Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: - YSL L’Homme EDT

Soap - Stirling barbershop
Brush - Paladin 26mm bulb
Razors - Herder 6/8 hollow & Rockwell 6S #2
Blade - vintage polsilver
Splash - Thayers medicated and Myrsol F/Extra

Been a crap few days since last Friday when I came down with the flu. Throw in constant fevers up to 39.8 over the following 3-4 days, and today's been the first time I've felt like shaving.

With a decent growth up, thought I'd go the straight for the first pass then clean up with a de. Really fun first pass with the straight, leaving a quick cleanup with the safety. Stirling performed as expected, and Myrsol should be in everyone's cabinet.

SOTD:

Razor: Mercur 15C
Brush: Shavemac Two-Band 26x54
Blade: Gillette Rubie
Pre: Proraso Green
Shaving cream: Proraso Green

Having received some sample of proraso in an order I have had a chance to dabble in products that kick started my journey into wet shaving. Following the proper procedures, proraso provides a shave second to none. I had a complete BBS and no irritation. So refreshing on a summers morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
TUESDAY:

Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Razor: Rockwell 6 S (4,2,2)
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
Soap: MWF
Brush: Omega boar

TODAY:
Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango
Brush: Omega boar

Razor: Vintage Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson H2 boar
Soap/Cream: Le Père Lucien Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Le Père Lucien After Shave Splash

'Perhaps try the head angle more like an SE' @bald as said - bloody genius he is!

As I reached for the Darwin this morning Steve's comment rattled around my head and I realised that the feeling of stiffness in the blade and the audible feedback of the Darwin was indeed very similar to a SE. So I adjusted my grip and used it like I use a SE - hey presto, much better result :)

Still a little difficultly in the areas where SEs have challenges but a much better overall result. It is more like a MMOC than the more forgiving SEs like the stylish 'E' bar that @todras picked up recently but I think that this is the key. Worked hard to ensure a good lather too.

So here I sit, the bloke with probably more razor choices than most and with many of them ticked off the list to try, and I didn't think of the solution. Glad that we have good blokes around here who are generous with advice and persistent with encouragement. A good reminder too that we can always keep learning!

'I don't have any real idea though' @bald as said - rubbish I say!

Thanks mate (y)

KEBalmC.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime Pre
Simpson CH1
Gillette Fatboy
Feather
Stirling Piacenza
APR Fête au Citron Aftershave Balm
APR Fête au Citron Aftershave

A leisurely 2 pass today with the Piacenza stepping up to the plate, a new citrus number 'Lemon Party' was given an outing and it worked well with the herbaceous florals of the Piacenza. It's a very bright citrus scent that rests on a base of amber, a real summer fragrance. Great performance again from the Fatboy, I have left it set on a '7' and it gives me excellent shaves each and every time.

Have a great day people :)

15780804_10206338683624431_5296172190425600620_n.jpg

Well proof is in the pudding. Here's the results of this morning's hone

Before that a quick call-out to @Mark1966 (in indirectly @Psmith ) again for this Wolf Whistles brush. Tell you what, it is quickly becoming my fave, a great balance of super soft tips, solid backbone and generous flow-through....oh and the handle is awesome. Hate to think @nsavage might have been right...but then again it's his first time for 2016 so I'll give him that.

...and the MWF? Well it remains my desert island soap. Yeah, yeah the scents not all there but whatever. The performance is all there...and easily tuned between straight and SE or DE shaves.

So the Parker? Not much to say really. Sharp as. first pass on the 3-4 day growth was without resistance. The Parker sings and so a little pop-pop-popping away. The blade, soap and brush combo felt so good that I stretched it to a super-close 4 pass shave. I'm now sitting in a place beyond BBS - I reckon any rogue stubble was scared into hiding.

Was it the best shave?
Well the one thing about a blade this sharp is that it's not comfortable enough to use everyday. But while I'm on leave and shaving every third or fourth day it is an absolute pleasure. To go through that slow attentive process is bliss and feeling your face afterwards...well I don't want t get creepy or nothing but...
(on this note this is another area where MWF shines for me too, that post-shave face feel!). But if it were the routine drudge of the every slave-day shaves then the Parker on the jnat would be a very painful proposition come Wednesday and Thursday. By Friday I'd call a mufti...

Status
Not open for further replies.