Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
G Type Schick Maiden Voyage

Razor: Schick Eversharp G Type Injector with Butterscotch Handle (first use)
Blade: Schick Twin Injector Blade NOS (1)
Soap: Razorock Captain's Choice Bay Rum (first use)
Brush: TF Amber & Ash Synthetic

Thoughts...
- What a lovely razor. All the recommendations were spot on. This is a very easy to use SE! It's much milder than my current default shaving kit but I've got a BBS after 3.5 passes and pickups. It was so mild and easy that several passes on my neck were required but there's no irritation. Very light AND tiny - yet the design is spot on. It polished up amazingly well but I'd like to know how to clean it more thoroughly. Can it open?
- The soap performed as well as all my RR - just great for my skin! I like the cloves and it was a little easier to get to my preferred lather consistency compared with my OSP Bay Rum. Great cushion, glide and slickness for these old blades.
- I join the chorus - if you don't have a G type please pick one up!

Last edited:
Sunday 25 June 2017

DasX3e0Ek2_s9qMStgQ7smRINbswqIrw8jmgTZwvUsZ9Ub2kZ8U_I78LsbWCy0kHpa1y-DHkAH-xdD0LyY4g5ZaI_UAMF5FszMY=w1920-h1080-no

Mastro Livi Club Razor 2016: Stellar CarboInox Shave!

Mastro Livi Club Razor 2016 is a stellar shaver and CarboInox is an awesome steel for making straight razors. After having shaved with the horrendously damaged Club Razor 2016 Mastro Livi perfectly reground and brought back to a worth life (those who wants to know more about this story can watch the video available on Mastro Livi Website) I wanted to shave with the original Club Razor 2016 in order to make a comparison between the two. The original Club Razor 2016 has a full hollow for hard beard and certainly is less singing than the reground razor which now has an extra full hollow ground. They both give a super smooth shave and it is evident the reground razor has a more aggressive feel, however providing an impeccable shave. The steel obviously is the same - same batch, very same processing - just a different grinding. I am glad, of course, I own both the original Club Razor 2016 (stellar CarboInox shaver!) as well as the restored and reground blade for which Mastro Livi made a miracle in restoring it. For this shave I used a very old shaving soap: as it was a special occasion, I used the very little chunk I have of Elberel Figaro P.160 Tipo Duro (Hard Type) and, despite it is now more than twenty years old, it still proves to be an excellent soap. Fragrance is gone, of course, but the legendary P.160 quality is still there.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Elberel Figaro P.160 Tipo Duro
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Bristle, Padouk, 26mm Knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Club Razor 2016 CarboInox, 7/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point, Poplar Wood
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Pinaud Clubman Classic

25 June 2017

Oq5x9wt.jpg

Merkur Progress / Perma-Sharp Super
Edwin Jagger L STF
La Saponeria Artigiana - Coconut
Nivea Originals AS Splash / Body Shop Skin Mechanics AS Gel
I never thought I could appreciate a synthetic brush - It just didn't feel natural. I still prefer using a Badger or Boar, but I'm using the Synth a little more often during the Winter season, especially during the evening when its pretty cold and drying could be an issue (I'd rather not the leave the bathroom window open for too long when its freezing outside). This brush dries instantly, even during the coldest weather, but it also performs admirably. La Saponeria Artigiana is a sample provided by TVB Shaving about 18 months ago - A soft soap, which is super-slick and creamy, but the Coconut does have that sweet Italian desert scent. I've been using the Progress for just over 10 days and it has felt like second nature from the moment I started using it - No issues with the angle. Its a bit fiddly when loading a blade to ensure alignment (due to moving parts, there's a bit of play between the cap and base plate). But once you get that right, it provides amazing shaves.

Have a great start to the week everyone !!!​

Rockwell #3 w/polAg
RR Bruce synth
SH vanilla oak
Nivea sensitive splash

I was supposed to use the CRSW soap again today as it didn't perform well yesterday (added too much water I reckon) but saw the vanilla oak we up in my rotation and got too excited! I'll use the CRSW tomorrow.

The vanilla oak was just so amazing! That scent is mind blowing (albeit a tad strong for my tastes). Performance as great! That tallow formula with silk etc is fantastic! Thoroughly enjoyed it!!

@nav1 what's the Bruce synth brush like as I've been thinking about this for ages

Oh, it's fantastic!!
It's not very springy. Compared to maggard synth, the Bruce is probably half the spring! It's really soft, and behaves like a natural hair brush as it doesn't have that synth spring.

The handle is also very ergonomic and I'd definitely recommend it.

Plus, the shape is hybrid bulb/fan and I find it hugs the face perfectly without having to splay it too much...which makes it awesome for shaving sticks also. It's my daily brush now.

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson M1
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve les généraux du grand livre shaving soap (Ver 1)
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve les généraux du grand livre Aftershave Lotion
Aftershave Balm: Australian Private Reserve les généraux du grand livre Aftershave Balm
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve les généraux du grand livre EDP

After a truly rubbish shave yesterday I went for a new blade and some tried and true staples. Very different results although lingering issues from my face from yesterday.

Have a great week blokes!

09587C2D-5A13-4A7A-8A7D-EB0C4D61F5C1_zpsxc6cdbpi.jpg

Pre Shave: Coconut Oil
Soap: Homemade HP
Brush:Shavemac
Razor: Peerless
Post Shave: Jojoba

Honed up this Sheffield razor last night and it did not disappoint. I think my preference is Swedish, Solingen then Sheffield steel but the Peerless was, well......peerless.

Pre: Proraso Red
Feather AC DX with Pro Super blade (21)
MWF
Omega 48
Bulldog ASB

Another 3 pass BBS although I noticed I'm pushing WTG now a bit as well. Actually got a bit of skin scraping (after the shave I appear to be able to see bits of skin peel?) - I need to check whether it's the blade or the MWF as I have experienced this before with sharp blades and it might have been with MWF, although the post shave feel etc remains exceptional. Just looking for a bit more slickness now from this soap perhaps... maybe not my top choice anymore. Amazed at the shave I can still get from this blade now even though it has lost a lot of efficiency.

Alrighty then...busted my DE cherry today and there was very minimal bleeding. :) Just a tiny tiny scrap after working around the upper lip a few too many times. Otherwise it was all pretty smooth sailing.

P1000611_zpstf85mxip.jpg

I'm using the Merkur 1904 razor, a synth brush I got from TSW. The blade is the one that came with the Merkur, though I do have a sample pack of others. I found it a little 'grabby' but not sure if it's the blade or my virgin technique. The result was OK but not any smoother than I get from the cartridge razor, I didn't want to press too hard though on my first time out. What I did notice was that the soap tended to get a little dry by the time it was on my face for a couple of minutes, so any tips there would be great. Didn't lather/load enough? Not enough water?
Finished off with the Nivea sensitive ASB. So all in all, it was an OK experience, I didn't take my head off which was good but I was expecting a smoother result. I did one pass WTG, one pass ATG and a final pass across the grain.

Cheers all

The blade is the one that came with the Merkur, though I do have a sample pack of others. I found it a little 'grabby' but not sure if it's the blade or my virgin technique.

Yeah ditch the Merkur blade, I used the one that came with my 34C for a couple of shaves and definitely noticed a difference once I swapped it out for Astra.

Alrighty then...busted my DE cherry today and there was very minimal bleeding. :) Just a tiny tiny scrap after working around the upper lip a few too many times. Otherwise it was all pretty smooth sailing.

P1000611_zpstf85mxip.jpg

I'm using the Merkur 1904 razor, a synth brush I got from TSW. The blade is the one that came with the Merkur, though I do have a sample pack of others. I found it a little 'grabby' but not sure if it's the blade or my virgin technique. The result was OK but not any smoother than I get from the cartridge razor, I didn't want to press too hard though on my first time out. What I did notice was that the soap tended to get a little dry by the time it was on my face for a couple of minutes, so any tips there would be great. Didn't lather/load enough? Not enough water?
Finished off with the Nivea sensitive ASB. So all in all, it was an OK experience, I didn't take my head off which was good but I was expecting a smoother result. I did one pass WTG, one pass ATG and a final pass across the grain.

Cheers all

Sounds all in all like a good start!

Seriously it will take a while for your technique to get to the point that you get a smoother shave than a cartridge but, as @Jase said - ditch the Merkur blade. They are generally agreed to be rubbish. The fact that you can describe it as 'grabby' is pretty impressive first shave. Get another brand (Astra good middle of the road) - if it feels better on the first use stick with that for the pack and then think about changing blades.

Try more water with the lather - you might be surprised at how much it takes.

OK is fine in the early days and hey, even now sometimes I have just an OK shave. It is the whole experience which has gotten better.

UA081PC.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: Mühle Rocca
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Mühle XL Synthetic
Lather: Stirling Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

Leisurely Sunday shave with my new Rocca over the roofs of Vienna with some
wonderful Stirling lather (picture here) - very hot, but still lovely...

I hope you all have a relaxing Sunday (y)
Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.