Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor: Muhle R41 head with SS Stray Whisker handle
Blade: Perma-Sharp SS (3)
Soap: Wickham Classic 24
Brush: TF Synthetic

Thoughts...
- What does it say about me that I really love the R41? I get less nicks and weepers than most other razors. BBS is pretty easy besides my neck which really only is easy BBS with the General. But this is my best DE results so far. I love the aggressive blade feel of these smooth Perma-Sharp blades. If you've been sitting on the fence after all the horror stories then don't anymore. Should have grabbed this head ages ago. Mind you... maybe I needed the 9 months experience to handle this one.

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum Plus (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke'
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Myrsol Aqua Balsamica
Aftershave Balm: N/A
Cologne: N/A

I really don't know what is going on lately - another rubbish shave, nicks and weepers everywhere. Maybe my brain has switched off since I'm on leave this week but gee whiz...

The lather was there from the D R Harris and the Myrsol provided a nice finish - I'm the problem here folks :cry:
Oh I'm hearing you @Mark1966

Razor: Muhle R41 head with SS Stray Whisker handle
Blade: Perma-Sharp SS (3)
Soap: Wickham Classic 24
Brush: TF Synthetic

Thoughts...
- What does it say about me that I really love the R41? I get less nicks and weepers than most other razors. BBS is pretty easy besides my neck which really only is easy BBS with the General. But this is my best DE results so far. I love the aggressive blade feel of these smooth Perma-Sharp blades. If you've been sitting on the fence after all the horror stories then don't anymore. Should have grabbed this head ages ago. Mind you... maybe I needed the 9 months experience to handle this one.

When I bought my R41 Twist a couple of months ago the salesman in the shop said 'Oh, this razor will be too much for you sir'. I'm not sure what he was basing that on ......
But like you I love the R41. So glad I bought it. No nonsense, treat it with respect and it performs. I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Used the CRSW again yesterday and yes, it's sensitive to water content. I loaded up and added drops slowly and the lather was great!!

Today, I went with my MWF stick and it was luscious lather! So silky and dense and just perfect! I think I prefer MWF in stick form. Another advantage is that the scent is preserved well in stick form whereas I find it becomes basically unscented in puck form by half way through.

Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum Plus (3)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'H2' boar

What a difference a day makes!

Same kit as yesterday because I knew it was not the tools. As soon as the blade touched my face though I KNEW it was different. Much lower angle of attack, much better shave, really nice actually.

Why the difference? Why was the angle today different from yesterday? Why was today a great shave and yesterday rubbish? WHO KNOWS!

1498599682.3393.jpg

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (5)
Blade(s): Astra (2)
Brush: Simpsons Super Chubby 2
Soap/Cream: SS "Scramble!"

First time with Scramble .. the scent is a little unusual and I currently have mixed feelings about it early in the piece .. however the loading and lathering was absolutely brilliant with it being a smooth albeit not a close shave as I felt the Astra although more settled on the second day didn't provide a very close shave.

Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum Plus (3)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'H2' boar

What a difference a day makes!

Same kit as yesterday because I knew it was not the tools. As soon as the blade touched my face though I KNEW it was different. Much lower angle of attack, much better shave, really nice actually.

Why the difference? Why was the angle today different from yesterday? Why was today a great shave and yesterday rubbish? WHO KNOWS!
The Moon! Beware of the mooooooon!

loading and lathering was absolutely brilliant with it being a smooth albeit not a close shave as I felt the Astra although more settled on the second day didn't provide a very close shave.
I've read a couple of your posts and got a sense of dejavu.
I went through much the same process and I found most blades were just not sharp enough to cut through my stubble until I tried the Gillette 7 o'clock yellows. I find them to be on the lower-end of the sharp-group. So, still suitable if you're new to the game.
Since then I have moved to Feather, Gillette Silver Blue, and Polsilver. But I can still get a nice shave from the 7-yellows.

You mentioned that you felt the urge to apply more pressure... And, certainly with my stubble and skin, that is always a recipe for disaster. Hence the need for a sharper blade.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Happy shaving!

Shower
Feather AC DX with Pro Super blade (23)
GFT Rose Cream
Omega 49
Re-lather and cold rinse

Back to a 3 pass BBS again with some palm stropping - still having to push through the stubble and I need all three passes now (usually the third is rather redundant) but still no damage or irritation, so I will keep going with this experiment. It's a completely different shaving style with a blade this (relatively) "blunt" but it still works fine and I don't have to pay so much attention, which is great. Making me re-think whether I really need a 200 pack of these blades!

Used the CRSW again yesterday and yes, it's sensitive to water content. I loaded up and added drops slowly and the lather was great!!

Today, I went with my MWF stick and it was luscious lather! So silky and dense and just perfect! I think I prefer MWF in stick form. Another advantage is that the scent is preserved well in stick form whereas I find it becomes basically unscented in puck form by half way through.

I just pick up my MWF puck and rub it on my face like a stick (it's just a short and wide stick after all...). Works great that way and saves a lot of time swirling a brush as required to load enough soap.

Shower
Feather AC DX with Pro Super blade (23)
GFT Rose Cream
Omega 49
Re-lather and cold rinse

Back to a 3 pass BBS again with some palm stropping - still having to push through the stubble and I need all three passes now (usually the third is rather redundant) but still no damage or irritation, so I will keep going with this experiment. It's a completely different shaving style with a blade this (relatively) "blunt" but it still works fine and I don't have to pay so much attention, which is great. Making me re-think whether I really need a 200 pack of these blades!

I just pick up my MWF puck and rub it on my face like a stick (it's just a short and wide stick after all...). Works great that way and saves a lot of time swirling a brush as required to load enough soap.

Yeah, it is a time saver for sure! I also love the scent and my puck has none left whereas the stick does.

Plus, lathering up with a synthetic brush is much more comfortable for me so I guess I'll use my sticks more often.

I originally made the stick just for travel otherwise I'd also just use the puck as a stick for home use.

I've read a couple of your posts and got a sense of dejavu.
I went through much the same process and I found most blades were just not sharp enough to cut through my stubble until I tried the Gillette 7 o'clock yellows. I find them to be on the lower-end of the sharp-group. So, still suitable if you're new to the game.
Since then I have moved to Feather, Gillette Silver Blue, and Polsilver. But I can still get a nice shave from the 7-yellows.

You mentioned that you felt the urge to apply more pressure... And, certainly with my stubble and skin, that is always a recipe for disaster. Hence the need for a sharper blade.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Happy shaving!

Thanks @lerenau - never tried 7 o'clock yellows. I have yellow and green of this from a sample pack from mensbiz so will give them a whirl. Never know what will produce that one perfect storm!

Went with #4 on the Rockwell today and it we a tad much. I prefer #3 but on a very heavy stubby handle (handle only is 110g so total razor is about 155g!). I find this combo to be smooth but also provide a very close shave.

PolAg stainless blade (Brown Wizamet...I prefer the modern super iridium!) and Nivea sensitive splash. Gave the RR Bruce a rest and used the maggard synth. I find the maggard is stiffer so loads soap a lot faster than the Bruce.

The kicker today was the soap - Tiki Cabernet Neroli. This is just a kick ass scent and Tiki performance is just awesome! It performs similar to Mystic Water for me. The scent is so unique and refreshing. No irritation even though it's a fairly strong scent. It's one of my favorite scents in my large rotation and I was very excited to use it today.

70010AEA-FC47-4F58-B1E6-4E2C6E0C675F_zpstg924how.jpg

Pre: Washpool Farm Facial Cleansing soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: Panna Crema
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Vintage Wilkinson Sword Super Sword (4)
A/S: Stirling Executive Man

Three pass shave - very close. Rushed it a little, due to time constraints, and some minor irritation on neck due to this.
Enjoyed the new products again - you can read the reviews here - Paste & Cut Travelling Box #4B - Reviews and Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.