Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Gillette Toggle (1)
Blade(s): 7 O'Clock Yellow (1)
Brush: Simpsons Super Chubby 2
Soap/Cream: SS Group Captains Blend

Loaded up with Group Captains Blend. A very dark soap, and when I loaded and started working it I was a little worried as it seemed so watery and bubbly. Within a minute though it had come up trumps. I could have done five passes with the amount of soap I worked up. I was a bit worried about pipe tobacco scent prior to buying, thinking the scent was going to smell like tobacco smoke, but the scent is more like when your old uncle would open his tobacco pouch to refill the pipe. Very nostalgic.

Set the toggle back to "1" a new blade and very lightly glided that razor over the stubble .. and a wonderful shave. Nicked some of the damage from two days ago (no shave yesterday) so one bleeder. Cannot believe that this razor could be that aggressive. It's like living on the edge every time you have a shave.

I don't have many aftershaves but thought a shave of this calibre required one, so I splashed on and swaggered!

Are the bars bent and giving you more blade by increasing the gap per chance?
Have seven slims and every single one shaves differently as each side of each razor has differing blade feel due to being dropped in the past 50 years.

Rockwell on 4
PolAg 5th use
RR Bruce synth
Speick grated into tub
Anherb ASB

Oh man, what a fantastic BBS today! Plate 4 was a tad bit much in my Ultra heavy handle but even then, no burn or nics... Just an Ultra close shave.

In my 9 years of using speick, it has not once disappointed me!! I prefer it grated but use the stick format occasionally. It's in my top 3 all time best soaps and probably #1 best scent!!

Are the bars bent and giving you more blade by increasing the gap per chance?
Have seven slims and every single one shaves differently as each side of each razor has differing blade feel due to being dropped in the past 50 years.

I looked at it with a 10x loupe and it looks straight. One side same as other but on setting "1" it seems to be about the same as a fatboy on "4". I have read somewhere that it is more aggressive, and one particular person had a similar problem. May be it just takes some time to get used to?? Obviously as well I am doing this by sight so I could be wrong as well!

7EsOzMel.jpg

Brush: Vulfix 28
Razor: EJ 89
Blade: Vintage Schick
Soap: MWF
A/S: Blue Stratos

19956881_1622059247806507_7417618568322218727_o.jpg

Brush: Simpsons, PJ2
Soap: B&M, Cologne Russe
Razor: ER, Streamline
Blade: Gem SS

Great shave this morning, fresh and smooth.

I've been using the Rockwell 6s all week, been a while since I used DE, and I was reminded what a great razor it is. So smooth and easy, feels like you could do no wrong. Back to the Streamline this morning and I was reminded why I love SE's, and this one in particular. So close and efficient, a bit more challenging but worth the effort.
It's all good.

Have a great weekend, enjoy your shaves.

abc6b439cc.png

Brush: Muhle Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Baskerville
Razor: Rotbart (Redbeard) 5031
Blade: Nacet (1)

Great DFS and smooth & mild. Could of been more efficient but new razor and learning. Rather light than what I am used too so probably applied too much pressure on my neck as slight irritation there.

2pgCTz3.jpg

Chatillon Lux Pre
Paladin
Mergress
Feather
L&L Grooming + Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender
Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender Salve
Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender Aftershave
Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender EDT

Razor: Gillette Toggle (1)
Blade(s): 7 O'Clock Yellow (2)
Brush: Simpsons Super Chubby 2
Soap/Cream: SS Ace

Again using Squadron Soaps produces a beautiful lather and the scent is wonderful. Left the toggle on "1" with the blade from yesterday and went to work. Slowly but surely. This razor is a harsh mistress, but produces a nice shave if you are careful.

Had a sample After Shave from my last order so put that to use. Refreshing!

Razorock Baby Smooth Al / Ladas
Platypus / Mike's Hungarian Lavender​

I had this shave planed for my arrival back home on Wednesday morning...here we are three days later and I finally had a bit of time and energy to get rid of almost a weeks growth. At least my face feels good now and Tim would have definitely approved of the setup...

8E12C21B-2DFB-44B3-8816-0C6F349BA992_zpsv6oddrdx.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Crabtree & Evelyn
Brush: Old Badger
Razor: Lindberg Munchen 9/16" 1/2 hollow This razor is always a solid performer. Being a smaller blade in 1/2 hollow I think stills allows for reasonable feedback.
I've seen some posts bagging the C&E and whilst it's not my favourite soap it's certainly not my least favourite. Lathers well and performs well.

Shower
Rockwell 6S (5) with Lord Racer blade (1)
La Toja stick
Proraso boar brush
Re-lather and warm rinse

Another fan of the La Toja stick! Great lather today for a 3 pass DFS+. Parts were BBS but IME if you don't maintain the right angle with the Rockwell it won't cut close. I have been spoilt by my more efficient razors / shavettes. No irritation or damage though. Will try on plate 6 next... although I don't think it's a blade gap thing - if I spent more time with this razor I would get a lot better at locking in the right angle.

@Pbgoose - I have C&E West Indian Limes and while it's not my favourite soap and it takes a bit of time to get the lather right, if I load enough I find it's a perfectly acceptable soap. And I'm yet to find a better lime scent - although scent characteristics are pretty much the least important for me...

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson AS2
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Spiced Mahogany shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
Aftershave Balm: N/A
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve Alfredus Choice EDP (much later)

Lovely shave before heading out for four hours of mulch shovelling at a school working bees. Decided I needed another shower when I got home and applied some Alfredus Choice to complete my transformation back to a human - it is lovely.

Ahhhhhh

yep, La toja is hardly beatable on its range. I've been using it as my solely soap for a bit more than 20 years until I started to dig on wet shaving forums and to ruin my bank account, less than a year ago. And is the proof of how much cheap can be a nice shave. I pay 2 Euro for 2 sticks (available everywhere in Spain) two and a half years ago and if used with mesure, avoiding making each time lather for all the neighbourhood, it last a lot!.

I try to find some soap in stick on australian supermakerts like wollies or coles with no luck. Does Aussies doesn't like sticks much?

I didn't even know sticks existed until I joined this forum. Still haven't seen one except in pictures.
Well, I never lather in bowl till I start to lurk in the forums xD
I am pretty happy with the performance of a standard breakfast bowl, eventually i will get a suribachi or better hardware. Face lathering is quite nice too, but mi silvertip is currently missing in action, though i guess were it may be...

Really like the OSP Bay Rum now. It's grown on me. Funny how trends take the shaving world. 18 months ago it was about the new UK artisans like OSP and P&B, now there's the L&L, WK and T&S doing the rounds.

I get OSP (The Obsessive Soap Perfectionist) and P&B (Phoenix & Beau) and even L&L (L&L Grooming) and I have had or have them but WK and T&S?

Funny thing is that I thought OSP was underwhelming, P&B I love and L&L is great too

Status
Not open for further replies.