Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap/Cream: MWF
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: Polsilver SI (4)
Post-shave: Alum, Emu Oil, TSW After Balm, Myrsol Formula "C"

Must have waited too long after the shower this evening. The shave felt a little rough.
Luckily it's nothing that the combination of emu oil and TSW's after balm cannot fix!
Had a small nick on the chin, otherwise quite an uneventful shave.

Sunday 1 January 2017

SOTD-01012017.jpg

Mastro Livi Carbon Damascus Kamisori 5/8, French Point

First shave of 2017 and I thought I should have used my homemade products to start the new year the right way. It was also quite a long time I was not using a kamisori made by Mastro Livi and today I chose the first one he made for me about three years and a half ago. The shave was smooth and comfortable with a very close result, it delivered a super keen shave like the first time. After all, it is a well known fact kamisoris can give a super close shave despite they are harder to use than western style razors, including symmetrical kamisoris. Here in Perugia we have the sun high in the sky but it is however quite cold so I thought the best choice to finish the shave was my Bay Rum aftershave with its warm and spicy notes seemed to be perfect to this great shave. Happy new year to all!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Super Silvertip Badger, Padouk Handle, 24mm Knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Carbon Damascus Kamisori 5/8, French Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

Running late here on the northern hemisphere, Hogmanay shave:

Preshave: Facescrub & Bloom water.
Razor/Blade: 1958 Gillette TV special w/Lord super stainless (1)
Soap: HTGAM Chocolate Bourbon.
Brush: Brad Sears CHS/28mm Manchurian.
Post shave: Thayers Original, Myrsol Emulsion balm, HTGAM Choc Bourbon aftershave.

Happy New Year everyone (y)
IMG_20161231_181314747-01.jpeg

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: P&B Baskerville
Razor: Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' (5)
Post-shave: B&M Kyovo

The razor/blade combo is a thing - felt quite different with the Light Brigade in. The Baskerville is a keeper I think too :)

Last edited:
puZxzVx.jpg

Doug Korn D7 TGN
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Saponifico Varesino Stella Alpina Soap
Saponifico Varesino Stella Alpina Balm
Chatillon Lux Fourth & Pine Salve
Chatillon Lux Fourth & Pine Aftershave

The Fourth and Pine aftershave is mentholated, a little to strong for my liking but the scent is wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Running late here on the northern hemisphere, Hogmanay shave:

Preshave: Facescrub & Bloom water.
Razor/Blade: 1958 Gillette TV special w/Lord super stainless (1)
Soap: HTGAM Chocolate Bourbon.
Brush: Brad Sears CHS/28mm Manchurian.
Post shave: Thayers Original, Myrsol Emulsion balm, HTGAM Choc Bourbon aftershave.

Happy New Year everyone (y)
IMG_20161231_181314747-01.jpeg

Really nice composition and beautiful pieces in that photograph :cool:

Sword: 34C / Spoiler
Suds: Vitos Tobacco ~ Omega S
Salve: Dickinson's ~ Plastic Shave

I picked up 200 Injector blades from Connaught the other day and decided to chuck in a tub of Vitos cream. It gives a great shave actually and is strongly scented in a more manly Tabac sort of way.

Any of you chaps tried this stuff?

EdRkjTE.jpg

SOTN (31/12/2016)
NYE TASMANIA SHAVE

Pre:
Hot shower/Dr. Bronner’s
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Derby (1x)
Brush: None
Soap/Cream: St. James Sandalwood & Bergamot
AS: Chiseled Face Cryogen
Balm: Aesop Moroccan Neroli
Fragrance: L’Occitane Jo Malone Wood Sage & Sea Salt EDT

sotd2_1_17.jpg

Brush - Omega 11126
Soap - Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Razor - Dovo Diamant
Post - Witch Hazel, TSW Balm

My first shave of the year. :)

WTG then XTG with the Dovo, then a cleanup pass with the DE.
First go with the Omega brush. It did a surprisingly good job with the lather for being so new, still has a bit of stink to it though.

I’m a bit late, but happy new year everyone!

kx9rRvI.jpg

Pre: Hot Water Splash
Brush: TF Custom Shaving Brush 26mm Silvertip
Soap/Cream: Beaver Woodright Black Beard
Razor: 1961 G3 Fatboy (4) & Rockwell 6S (3)
Blade: VoskhodTeflon Coated (FatBoy) Persona Super (Rockwell 6S)
Post-shave: Bloc d'Alun, Choix Alfredus Balm, Blackbeard Aftershave.

The Black Beard soap is soft and as a result required little loading to the brush. It did take a fair bit of water to get the lather right but boy was it slick. I had the Fatboy set on 4 and it slid over my face so smoothly. First time using the Fatboy too. I had a WTG pass (Fatboy 4) then ATG (Fatboy 4) then finished with a mixed pass using the Rockwell S6 on 3 to clean up. I ended up with a BBS shave.
I then used the Alun, let dry for a few minutes and then applied a little Choix Alfredus Balm. Several minutes later I splashed with the Black Beard Aftershave and it stung like hell. So I am not sure if the shave was a bit harsh or if I had a bit of a reaction to the splash. Next shave I will try the same but might lighten up on the shave and see if there is any difference. All in all my face will settle down and I loved the shave all but the shocking sting at the end :eek:
Cheers Tony.
And wishing everyone at P&C a very happy and prosperous New Year for 2017

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson '46' reknotted in 'pure'
Soap/Cream: Santa Maria Novella Firenze Crema Da Barba
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (4)
Post-shave: Santa Maria Novella Firenze Lozione Dopo Barba - Tabacco Toscano

I'm claiming this as my most expensive SOTD every -

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson '46' reknotted in 'pure' - this was a bargain buy BUT the start of my butterscotch collecting
Razor: Darwin Standard Razor - well, obvious really
Soap/Cream: Santa Maria Novella Firenze Crema Da Barba
Post-shave: Santa Maria Novella Firenze Lozione Dopo Barba - Tabacco Toscano

Both the SMN products were purchased from their shop in Florence - I'm claiming the cost of the family holiday to get them as part of the purchase price :)

Lovely way to start the New Year.

Happy shaving fellas!

What's the aftershave like. I loved the shave cream there other products are supposed to be top notch as well!

What's the aftershave like. I loved the shave cream there other products are supposed to be top notch as well!

It is nice, not as restoring as the APR from @todras but not a simple alcohol backhander either. Elegant in its simplicity but not hugely long lasting. The shop in Florence is amazing ...

wiKbwH2.jpg

January 2nd, 2017

Razorock "Wunderbar" Slant
Voskhod
Thater 4125/1 2 Band
Mystic Waters "Bay Rum"

Magnificent shave tonight. The Mystic Waters gives a fantastic lather and the Wunderbar provides a wonderfully close but surprisingly smooth shave. I normally shave in the morning but have an early start tomorrow and want to get up and out of the house quickly. The shave form the Wunderbar is so close that I can be confident that I will get through 16-18 hours without any problems.

wiKbwH2.jpg

January 2nd, 2017

Razorock "Wunderbar" Slant
Voskhod
Thater 4125/1 2 Band
Mystic Waters "Bay Rum"

Magnificent shave tonight. The Mystic Waters gives a fantastic lather and the Wunderbar provides a wonderfully close but surprisingly smooth shave. I normally shave in the morning but have an early start tomorrow and want to get up and out of the house quickly. The shave form the Wunderbar is so close that I can be confident that I will get through 16-18 hours without any problems.

I'm looking forward to try my Razorock "Wunderbar" Slant hopefully next week @nsavage because all the families will be going home, and that way I can take a complete break from Arko shaving soap because the weak lemon scent is nearly giving me an itchy nose for smelling too much lemon :cautious:

Last edited:
First shave of the year: 2 Jan

Preshave: Facescrub w/ banh charcoal soap
Razor/Blade: Gillette Aristocrat #16 w/Polsilver SI (3)
Brush: Simpson Chubby2
Soap: The shaving shop "Success"
Postshave: Thayers unscented, Myrsol Emulsion, Fine "platinum" splash, Van Yulay "Success" aftershave.

First outing with the #16 and it was noticeably more aggressive than the #66 i'm used to using. Couple of small nicks and weepers that i'll put down to learning curve and hope for better on the next outing.

IMG_20170102_195059885-01.jpeg

Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' (6)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson "The Duke"
Soap/Cream: Wickham Soap Co 1912 - Classic 24
Post-shave: APR Sample - "TB" (?)

Was working on a getting a close shave with the Darwin this morning and certainly did so, at the cost of a little rawness though. The Wickhams has a light, fairly innocuous scent, lathers fairly easily and seems to work OK, I will keep an eye on this one. The APR Sample with @todras generously provided with my recent purchase was the attention grabber though.

I don't feel that I have an adequate 'scent vocabulary'. I mean, some 'notes' as I understand we are to call them, are obvious and recognisable from other experiences, such as lavender - but is it French, Belgian or Spanish? Similar lemon or orange come in a range of national variations when it comes to 'notes' - who would have thought? Even the ubiquitous rose comes in a vast range of forms. While by any other name they may still smell as sweet - how can you identify them? Tobacco you might thing is obvious but comes in so many different varieties, and with plain packaging laws you cannot tell which is which!

You walk down the cleaning aisle at your supermarket and are accosted by a range of air fresheners in a dazzling array of fragrances, does 'sandalwood' really smell like THAT? What nationality of lavender is that in the Glade refill? What combination of fruits form the 'Sparkling Citrus'? Why do all the toilet blocks smell like ARKO!? :)

Apart from those 'notes' to which we may have had some exposure previously where do we start with 'oud' or 'oakmoss' or 'ambergris'? When was the last time you watched a whale cough up a 'hairball'?

With that extended disclaimer my initial thoughts on the "TB" sample.

First impression ("top notes"?) - Yuck, cloying, overpowering, heavy, damp earth, hey an APR product I do not like finally.

After a minute ("middle notes - drying down?) - Hang on, what is this, warm, woody, comforting, enveloping, open fire and a rug with my lady.

Some time later, at least an hour ("base notes"?) - Musky, rich, deep, warming, embracing, still with my lady enjoying her embrace if you know what I mean ...

Don't ask me if it is oud, lavender, sandalwood or spice - I'm a perfume philistine. It is another bloody ripper though - well done mate! (y)

Last edited:
Why do all the toilet blocks smell like ARKO!? :)

When was the last time you watched a whale cough up a 'hairball'?

Hang on, what is this, warm, woody, comforting, enveloping, open fire and a rug with my lady.

still with my lady enjoying her embrace if you know what I mean ...

Don't ask me

As always - informative and entertaining - apart from the disparaging comment about ARKO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.