Not open for further replies.
G3tVyaU.jpg

Simpson CH1
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Stone Cottage Soapworks Fougère
Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest
Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest

Nice and cool, relaxed Fern weather. Loving it.

Shave well you blokes :)

Don't ask me if it is oud, lavender, sandalwood or spice - I'm a perfume philistine. It is another bloody ripper though - well done mate!

I'm not sure I know what I just read, but it was particularly funny.

TB = Tea Bag - Bergamot, clary sage, lavender, and patchouli. My take on Earl Grey tea.

I found it works particularly well with B&M Cheshire ;)

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 03 January 2017

Brush: - Omega 10065 Green Handle 24/54mm
Lather: - Arko Shaving Soap
Razor: - RazoRock Mission
Blade: - Perma-Sharp Super #2
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: - Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EDT

Razor: Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' (4)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson "The Duke"
Soap/Cream: Wickham Soap Co 1912 - Classic 24
Post-shave: APR Sample - "TB" (?)

With that extended disclaimer my initial thoughts on the "TB" sample.

First impression ("top notes"?) - Yuck, cloying, overpowering, heavy, damp earth, hey an APR product I do not like finally.

After a minute ("middle notes - drying down?) - Hang on, what is this, warm, woody, comforting, enveloping, open fire and a rug with my lady.

Some time later, at least an hour ("base notes"?) - Musky, rich, deep, warming, embracing, still with my lady enjoying her embrace if you know what I mean ...

Don't ask me if it is oud, lavender, sandalwood or spice - I'm a perfume philistine. It is another bloody ripper though - well done mate! (y)

I'm not sure I know what I just read, but it was particularly funny.

TB = Tea Bag - Bergamot, clary sage, lavender, and patchouli. My take on Earl Grey tea.

I found it works particularly well with B&M Cheshire ;)

... with the ingredients in front of me now, let me rephrase my thoughts...

Top notes of bergamot and clary sage are reminiscent of Earl Grey tea, not my favourite I must confess. As these develop through the middle notes of lavender on a base of patchouli, which the ignorant may confuse with musk, to a rich, deep heart the scent matures into a very pleasant and lasting fragrance which would be perfectly matched with a soap like the Barrister & Mann Cheshire Tallow Shaving Soap, made available locally at The Stray Whisker by @shavetheman.

Does that work better than my initial, feeble attempt - Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Top notes of bergamot and clary sage are reminiscent of Earl Grey tea, not my favourite I must confess. As these develop through the middle notes of lavender on a base of patchouli, which the ignorant may confuse with synthetic musk fragrance which while not disclosed in the composition is definitely present as musk absolute due to it's warmth and excellent properties as a fixitive, to a rich, deep heart the scent matures into a very pleasant and lasting fragrance which would be perfectly matched with a soap like the Barrister & Mann Cheshire Tallow Shaving Soap, made available locally at The Stray Whisker by @shavetheman.

Fixatived that for you :cool:

There is indeed musk in the fragrance which you have now revealed. Fortunately you did not pick the other perfumers trick, which will remain undisclosed... damm well spotted btw...we will make a 'nose' out of you yet!

Hey.

Just had a damn sexy Gillette New Long Comb arrive and so I just had to break it in right away... despite it being a billion degrees here in Perth and my horribly hot bathroom.

Razor: Gold Gillette US "New" Long Comb (1932 - 1940)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Green
Cream: TOBS Jermyn Street
Brush: Semogue 830, which is actually the only one I own atm.
Bowl: My self-made fugly lather bowl that works well.
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic. Because the razor seemed to demand it.
Cologne: Aramis Havana.

20170103_131209.jpg

Thoughts:

- I *LOVE* the New. I really didn't expect to enjoy the shave quite so much first time despite lots of people raving about this razor. I found the angle immediately and kept it really well because of the great blade feel... I'm still struggling at times with my adjustables when using really thick lather to maintain a correct angle on both sides of the face. I am so glad I forked out the $50 (inc delivery) for this razor WITH CASE from the US. It doesn't feel as aggressive as my Fatboy or Slim on 9 but it's still very efficient.
- I love the TOBS Jermyn Street but I should have gone TOBS Peppermint for the cream because of the temp today.
- The 7 O'Clocks are even better in the New than the adjustables. Smooth. Just... perfect.

Razor: Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' (7)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson H2 boar
Soap/Cream: Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus Shaving Soap
Post-shave: Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus Aftershave Splash

I still think that the Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus is a rite of passage for every shaver - but do admit that it is loosing its allure a little against the rest of my artisan products. Good enough result though ...

Razor: Mercury 15c
Blade: Gillette Rubie
Brush: Shavemac 26X54 Two-band
Soap/Cream: C&S Oxford & Cambridge
Post-shave:Hot towel and Myrsol Balsalmica.

eec2842b31291fb4fe31ab6ccf499ccf.jpg

Fantastic shave this brush has really developed into something special. I have plans for another Shavemac in similar proportions and shape later in the year but in a 3 band silvertip. As for the soap, certainly one of the best out there [emoji106]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.