Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Travelling Box SOTD - 01/10/2017 (Su)
Razor: Schick Injector
Brush: 1092 synthetic
Soap/Cream: Razor Master - "Pekka"
Post: Alum, Thayer's unscented, Stirling - "Executive Man"

Really keen on having my first shave from the Travelling box, today. So I picked the items I was most keen on.

"Pekka" is the first soap I've tried with an 'aquatic' scent - it never even occurred to me that a soap could smell like that! It smells like a sweet and fresh oceanic breeze, without the salt.
To lather, I didn't want to dab my brush in the sample container. So, I scooped out a small amount, stuffed it into the fibres of my brush and proceeded to furiously lather it in my little pink dessert bowl. My bowl quickly overflowed! The smell seemed to fill the air and I thought "this is great!". Sadly, it was downhill from then on. :(
The mountains of lather were pure air-foam. It provided minimal cushion and basically zero protection. This ended with me having horrible skin for the next few days. Worst shave I've had in months.
Even the usually mild and forgiving Schick Injector left me feeling raw.

Now, this might sound like I hate the soap. HOWEVER, the results were so bad that I think the bulk of the blame must lie with me. Specifically, my lathering technique. I'm pretty sure lathering longer, with more water, with a better bowl, and pushing the soap into the base of bowl instead of hiding it in the brush fibres will give me a better result.

I also remembered that Alexandra from 'Whispers from the Woods' was going to have a stall at one of my local markets the next weekend (in Canberra). To this end, I decided to buy an actual lathering bowl from her. Let's see if it improves my lathers.

I followed-up my shave with a sample of Stirling's 'Executive Man' splash. I've heard much about this splash - all good things. And it's true! It smells fantastic and feels great. My one complaint was that the sample bottle is *tiny* and I had to leave some for someone else. I will likely buy a bottle of Fine "Platinum" after this experience because I believe the scent is similar and other's on P&C have recommended it.

I really REALLY want to have a better experience with "Pekka", though. So, I'll try shaving with it again and I'll post about it here in a day or two.

Travelling Box SOTD - 04/10/2017 (We)

Razor: iKon B1 open comb
Blade: Nacet (1)
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven - "Oatmeal Stout"

It took me several days to recover from my last shave (due to poor lather technique).

But I'm ok now and ready to dive into the next soap.
I chose Shaver Heaven's "Oatmeal Stout" because I was hungry and it smells absolutely delicious.
My wife says it smells "Bran-y". To me it smells like sweet gingerbread with the ginger. *shrug*. I can't describe it. But it's delicious.

I tried to learn some lessons from my last attempt. I scooped a small amount out, pressed it into the bottom of my trusty pink dessert-bowl and lathered for close to a minute while regularly adding drops of water. This time I was rewarded with thick cream-like lather. Both voluminous and dense with more of that great scent.
The shave proceeded as successfully as the lathering. It was fantastic. I would buy Shaver Heaven's "Oatmeal Stout" line in a heartbeat. I realise they are not active anymore. But, they've got a customer in me if they decide to come back.

I followed up with a sample of APR "Coconut Santal" balm.
I love APR's balms. I have some of their "Fougère Bourbon Rose" balm already and it's top notch. (y)
The "Coconut Santal" smells amazing and goes on very easily, typical for an APR balm.
However, 30 seconds after applying I got a mild burning sensation. I was a little worried at first. But it had calmed down after about 5 minutes and I think it was more likely caused by my previous (disastrous) shave a few days before in addition to shaving with my iKon before my skin was ready again - It shaves very close. I was ok. I think it was skin just reminding me that I had pushed things to the limit.

I followed up with my own Fine "Santal" aftershave and everything was good in the world.

I was very happy with this shave and would happily do it again. Great products all 'round.
Interestingly I could still get whiffs of Oatmeal Stout, Coconut, and Sandalwood late into the evening. Fantastic stuff!

Travelling Box SOTD - 08/10/2017 (Su)
Razor: "The hundred year old razor"
Blade: Permasharp (1)
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria - "La Poire Francaise"

For this shave I decided to try the "Hundred year old razor" that I found in the Travelling Box.
A quick Google image-search makes me think this is a 1920's Gillette Old.
It gave me a pretty decent shave! Slow and gentle was definitely the order of the day. It's very aggressive/close. But you treat it with respect and it does a great job.
It was a *little* rough at times and blade alignment was a challenge. But, given its age, it's freaking amazing. It must have been quite prestigious in its day. I would happily use it again.

In hindsight, I wonder if perhaps I shouldn't have used a Permasharp blade. I think they're probably a little too close for an open-comb. I might try something milder like a 7 O'clock yellow instead if I get to shave with it again. I find them much milder.

Henri et Victoria - "La Poire Francaise". 'The French Pear' if I recall. And that's exactly what it smells like. Imagine going to an fancy restaurant and being served a rich caramelised liqueur pear. Mmmmmmm delicious.
The performance was quite good. Not as good as Shaver Heaven from my last shave. But, plenty good enough to cushion the aggressive Gillette.
I would happily buy and use products from Henri et Victoria if they were more easily available locally. But, we have some wonderful products here. So, I probably won't bother. I think that's a reflection on the wonderful products we have here already. But, if you ever come across "La Poire Francais" give it a go it's quite lovely.

Travelling Box SOTD - 08/10/2017 (Su)
Razor: "The hundred year old razor"
Blade: Permasharp (1)
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria - "La Poire Francaise"

For this shave I decided to try the "Hundred year old razor" that I found in the Travelling Box.
A quick Google image-search makes me think this is a 1920's Gillette Old.
It gave me a pretty decent shave! Slow and gentle was definitely the order of the day. It's very aggressive/close. But you treat it with respect and it does a great job.
It was a *little* rough at times and blade alignment was a challenge. But, given its age, it's freaking amazing. It must have been quite prestigious in its day. I would happily use it again.

In hindsight, I wonder if perhaps I shouldn't have used a Permasharp blade. I think they're probably a little too close for an open-comb. I might try something milder like a 7 O'clock yellow instead if I get to shave with it again. I find them much milder.

The 'hundred year old razor' I may have miss-described, it is a Gillette ‘Single Ring’ Vintage Razor from 1918 when I check the instructions for the box (which seem to have disappeared from it) - so it is only 99 years old!

They are pretty aggressive and have challenges around alignment as the blades of those days were about twice as thick as modern blades - some people actually 'shim' them with another cut down modern blade. People were used to straights though - so they were REAL men then!

Loving the reviews mate (y)

Razor: Vintage British Gillette Aristrocrat #15
Blade: Vintage NOS British Wilkinson Sword (10)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Rooney 'Bristle & Badger' shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann 42 shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Barrister & Mann 42 Aftershave Lotion
Aftershave Balm: N/A
Cologne: Barrister & Mann 42 EDP

No fog and no panicking this morning for hump day. Not sure if the petunias are growing on me (boom-tish) or whether the warmer weather suits this combination better. It is certainly getting more love of late.

pxA70bM.jpg

Chatillon Lux Preshave
Doug Korn D7
Timeless
Feather
Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère
Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Salve
Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Aftershave
Chatillon Lux SYLVA
EDT

37624522981_d9d1049563_z.jpg

Pre: Shower
Soap: Pb Kaolin Pimento Silk
Brush: Vie Long Horse/Badger
Razor: Gillette NEW OC
Blade: Feather
I tried the Feather in the NEW wondering whether that would negate the need for some clean up and buffing with this mild razor. I still needed clean up and buffing and scored a few weepers and some minor irritation but still a very smooth shave. I think the Rapira blade might have been the better match. I love the Vie Long. I bowl lathered and was initially a little disappointed. Finished lathering on the face which resulted in thick creamy lather. Brilliant.

Travelling Box SOTD - 01/10/2017 (Su)
Razor: Schick Injector
Soap/Cream: Razor Master - "Pekka"
Post: Alum, Thayer's unscented, Stirling - "Executive Man"

Really keen on having my first shave from the Travelling box, today. So I picked the items I was most keen on.

"Pekka" is the first soap I've tried with an 'aquatic' scent - it never even occurred to me that a soap could smell like that! It smells like a sweet and fresh oceanic breeze, without the salt.
To lather, I didn't want to dab my brush in the sample container. So, I scooped out a small amount, stuffed it into the fibres of my brush and proceeded to furiously lather it in my little pink dessert bowl. My bowl quickly overflowed! The smell seemed to fill the air and I thought "this is great!". Sadly, it was downhill from then on. :(
The mountains of lather were pure air-foam. It provided minimal cushion and basically zero protection. This ended with me having horrible skin for the next few days. Worst shave I've had in months.
Even the usually mild and forgiving Schick Injector left me feeling raw.

Now, this might sound like I hate the soap. HOWEVER, the results were so bad that I think the bulk of the blame must lie with me. Specifically, my lathering technique. I'm pretty sure lathering longer, with more water, with a better bowl, and pushing the soap into the base of bowl instead of hiding it in the brush fibres will give me a better result.

I also remembered that Alexandra from 'Whispers from the Woods' was going to have a stall at one of my local markets the next weekend (in Canberra). To this end, I decided to buy an actual lathering bowl from her. Let's see if it improves my lathers.

I followed-up my shave with a sample of Stirling's 'Executive Man' splash. I've heard much about this splash - all good things. And it's true! It smells fantastic and feels great. My one complaint was that the sample bottle is *tiny* and I had to leave some for someone else. I will likely buy a bottle of Fine "Platinum" after this experience because I believe the scent is similar and other's on P&C have recommended it.

I really REALLY want to have a better experience with "Pekka", though. So, I'll try shaving with it again and I'll post about it here in a day or two.
I had much the same experience with that soap. I liked the scent but it is probably the worst performing soap ive ever used.

Date: 11 October 2017

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft "BEEHIVE" Synth. 28/63mm knot
Lather: - Wholly Kaw - Jamestown Gentleman Special Edition (tallow) Donkey Milk 3x
Razor: - Muhle R41 v2013 with the iKon Bulldog Handle
Blade: - Gillette 7 O'Clock Green Super Stainless #3
Post: - Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic / Bulldog Sensitive Moisturiser
Fragrance: - Hugo Boss Intense

I had much the same experience with that soap. I liked the scent but it is probably the worst performing soap ive ever used.
I tried PEKKA again this morning. I'll do up a SOTD when I get home. But, I doubt you'll be surprised. *sigh*

08B6B941-6760-4C6B-A1E2-3CA97F373F0F_zpsepbiuq8a.jpg

Pre: Warm Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Black Spruce
Brush: Omega Boar
Razor: Asylum Rx
Blade: Schick Proline (2)
Best shave out of the Asylum yet! A post on an american forum suggested using straight razor technique for the Asylum so I followed my straight razor routine and got a really good shave without the post shave feel of a sand papered face. Finally some love in this relationship.
Loving the Black Spruce. The scent is subtle and enjoyable.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

We have moved the workshop so my commute (by bicycle) has gone from 3km to 13km. Easy, but now long enough to warrant suitable attire (yes, lycra!) and ablutions at the receiving end. Shaving before exercise is never a good idea so my first SOTD from the office shower! APR of course, Alfredus Choice... lovely. Straight, travel roo strop. Superb.

We have moved the workshop so my commute (by bicycle) has gone from 3km to 13km. Easy, but now long enough to warrant suitable attire (yes, lycra!) and ablutions at the receiving end. Shaving before exercise is never a good idea so my first SOTD from the office shower! APR of course, Alfredus Choice... lovely. Straight, travel roo strop. Superb.

He was even spotted and captured in a photo enroute to work ...

Pre-shave of course!

Travelling Box SOTD - 11/10/2017 (Wed)
Razor: Rockwell 6c (#5)
Blade: Polsilver? (~3?) (Can't remember because I have been running 4 razors concurrently)
Soap/Cream: Razor Master - "PEKKA"

Ok, this is a follow-up shave from last week where I couldn't get PEKKA to lather properly and, as a result, I suffered some pretty bad razor-burn for several days. I love the aquatic scent and it just *feels* like it should be a great soap. I soooo want it to perform!

Anyway, armed with a brand new lather-bowl, I decided I was all-in.
I scooped some PEKKA out of the sample pod and mooshed it into the base of the bowl. Then, with a wet brush I lathered quite vigorously for well over a minute, adding extra water as I went, in an attempt to remove all the bubbles.
I got huuuuuge amounts of lather; I could have shaved my entire torso with that amount (back and front). And it was definitely denser than last time!

But... Just one pass in, I could already feel some proto-razorburn. Not good.
By the end, it was clear that this was a better shave than last week. But the soap was still waaaaay under-performing.

I typically re-apply my lather after my final pass to condition my skin. In this instance however, I noticed after only a couple of minutes the lather had already dried to a fine powder on my face. :wideyed:
That was the final straw. Pekka, I love your intoxicating scent. But you're just a terrible soap. You're bad for me and I'm done with you. Good luck in your future endeavours. :stop:

I followed up with some B&M "Le Chande Chypre" splash.
Great performance from B&M. Nothing new there.
But, BONUS, today at work I got my first unsolicited compliment! Whoo! I may have to wear LGC more often.

20171011_215606.jpg

Razor: Vintage Feather OC Old Style
Blade: Feather DE (1)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Vanilla Oak
Brush: AP Shave Co tuxedo 30mm

Thoughts...
- This mild razor comes to life with a very sharp blade and it helps the Feather feel much smoother than usual. Easy BBS from 3 passes on a 2 day growth. I happily now have kit that I can use all my Feather blades with; I'd shoved them to the back of the blade drawer and had written them off.
- The aftershave was unused! It's a lovely 70s woody fougere with a hint of vanilla musk. As soon as I smelt it I knew this was the right soap. A wonderful pairing with good burn and face feel for such an old aftershave. If you've a tub of Vanilla Oak then you need to find some Tai Winds.
- This bottle can't stand up. So you need to apply it one handed! Try and score some AS in a different shape. Bloody silly.

Last edited:
Razor: Vintage British Gillette Aristrocrat #15
Blade: Vintage NOS British Wilkinson Sword (11)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson '46' shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougere Bourbon Rose shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougere Bourbon Rose splash
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougere Bourbon Rose balm
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougere Bourbon Rose EDP

Oh it has been too long - loved the FBR this morning (despite the 4 as the hour!).

... and now my flight delayed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.