Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
20171009_060842.jpg

Razor: Vintage Feather OC Old Style (first use)
Blade: Gillette Stainless (3)
Soap: Crown King Porthos (first use)
Brush: AP Shave Co tuxedo 30mm

Thoughts...
- I've been waiting for a good Aramis soap and like many of PAA / CK soaps, this is a great performer. Face lathered it for a change and it all worked easily and well. The scent is best described IMHO as 'Aramis meets a vintage Velvet soap' . Probably a 4.5 out if the tub and on the face. Intriguing complimentary olfactory adventure to the classic powerhouse cologne with an excellent face feel afterwards but don't expect a 100‰ clone.
- This vintage OC old style headed razor is mild! It was a shock and obviously is specifically designed for Feather's super sharp and efficient blades. The two day growth needed 4 passes plus several pick-ups with the super smooth Gillette blade but a BBS was achieved with no weepers or any irritation. Super impressed and now I need to try it with a Feather or maybe Kai to get the full experience. I'm not into mild razors as a rule but the novelty of this was great fun.
- The shampoo bar was great too with the same scent profile! Can recommend and they're pretty cheap direct from PAA if you're also buying soap as they don't tend to add to shipping.

5Zo8LWX.jpg

PAA PRE SHAVE SOAP
TIMELESS 0.68 SOLID BAR
VOSKHOD
26MM HMW BULB CANDY APPLE
VAN YULAY AFTER DARK
DR. JON'S CONQUEST SPLASH

The scent on this Van Yulay soap is probably the blandest i've ever come across in a shaving soap. Almost smells like wet cardboard. Strength i'd say its only a 3/10 so finding a aftershave that wont clash with it is certainly not a problem. It's fantastic in the performance department so still gets a run every now and again.

36913569853_f5cae5b5f7_c.jpg

Pre: Warm Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Black Spruce
Brush: Omega Boar
Razor: Jowika 6/8"
Had the Jowika on the stones last night. The old blade has some minor pitting problems. Tried finishing with Cerium Oxide which looked good under the scope but hard to tell if it was worth the effort. Off to Jury Duty this morning which fortunately was dismissed.

Last edited:
Date: 09 October 2017

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft "BEEHIVE" Synth. 28/63mm knot
Lather: - Wholly Kaw - Jamestown Gentleman Special Edition (tallow) Donkey Milk 2x
Razor: - Muhle R41 v2013 with the iKon Bulldog Handle
Blade: - Gillette 7 O'Clock Green Super Stainless #2
Post: - Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic / Bulldog Sensitive Moisturiser
Fragrance: - L'eau D'issey Pour Homme

Razor: Masonic New
Blade: Rapira SS
Soap: The Warden
Brush: Commodore

Nice close shave, glad I got 100 of those Rapira.
Bit bummed to find I'm getting a bit of rust in the warden tin and it sucks cause I love tins but yeah the plastic tubs are the way to go 100%

Razor: Vintage British Gillette Aristrocrat #15
Blade: Vintage NOS British Wilkinson Sword (9)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Rooney 'Bristle & Badger' shaving brush
Soap/Cream: L&L Grooming and Chattilon Lux TSM Fougere shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Chattilon Lux Unconditional Surrender Aftershave Lotion
Aftershave Balm: N/A
Cologne: Chattilon Lux Unconditional Surrender EDP

Fog. Localised fog here in Canberra this morning. Bizarre

08B6B941-6760-4C6B-A1E2-3CA97F373F0F_zpsepbiuq8a.jpg

Pre: Warm Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Black Spruce
Brush: Omega Boar
Razor: Asylum Rx
Blade: Schick Proline (2)
Best shave out of the Asylum yet! A post on an american forum suggested using straight razor technique for the Asylum so I followed my straight razor routine and got a really good shave without the post shave feel of a sand papered face. Finally some love in this relationship.
Loving the Black Spruce. The scent is subtle and enjoyable.

Oir2guS.jpg

La Toja Pre Shave Soap
Boots Manchurian
Mergress XL
Feather
L&L Grooming Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère
Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Salve
Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Aftershave
Houbigant Fougère Royale EDP

2VMMnFn.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: Guerrilla
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Morris & Forndran Tigris
Lather: Mystic Water Lime
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

The weather is definitely starting to improve here and today was another Lime day - this brush is very soap greedy but the Mystic Water lather is produces was stellar. All in all a very nice shave but a small nick on my chin again showed, that while the Guerrilla is certainly a very smooth razor, it certainly is also very efficient.

I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.