Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently grabbed a pack of Feather blades from ShaverShop (*gasp*) because I had run out.

While I enjoy a Nacet blade in the AS-D2, I wanted to try a Feather blade since that is the way it is "supposed to be enjoyed".
Well, this morning I took it for a spin, and wow... I usually don't enjoy Feather blades as I find them quite rough. But in an AS-D2 I get very little blade feel or scratching.
I got a lovely close shave without ever feeling at risk. Quite impressive!

If you ever get a chance to try this combo, I highly recommend it!

Note to self: Stop being so lazy and take some damn pictures!

JbEhVT6.jpg

Valobra Pre Shave
Paladin Lotus
Blackland Blackbird
Feather
LPL Oud Santal
AP Reserve Winterfall
Acqua di Parma Oud

I'm just another white boy lost in the blues :cool:

Last edited:
I usually don't enjoy Feather blades as I find them quite rough. But in an AS-D2 I get very little blade feel or scratching.

The AS-D2 is widely known and loved as a mild razor and they are particularly smooth with a Feather, it's a razor that is known for granting a lot of leeway without biting - it is very well made. Skin prep/type, soap & lather metrics, razor type, shave technique and personal blade preferences are what they are in your den if we are all honest- find your groove and dig it :)

I use Feathers in everything from the Timeless, Progress/Mergress, the vintage Slim/Fatboy's and the Wolfman's and their sharpness never fails to give me a comfortably smooth and very close shave. The one razor I personally find that fits the Feather hand in glove is in the Blackbird though above all the others. The blade is held in such a way in the razor that the shearing of the hairs resonates through the handle perfectly, audibly is like a jet fly by as you traverse the face through successive passes.

I would love to see you and more others post their pictures too, I think they are a really enjoyable part of the P&C experience for newer shavers and older hands. Personally I find a solid benchmark of the veracity of someones advice and opinion is that they are a regular or even just occasional SOTD poster. I like checking out peoples shave pics and their hardware and software throughout the seasons, it's interesting to see just how much variety is out there and what people are enjoying.

I would love to see you and more others post their pictures too, I think they are a really enjoyable part of the P&C experience for newer shavers and older hands. Personally I find a solid benchmark of the veracity of someones advice and opinion is that they are a regular or even just occasional SOTD poster. I like checking out peoples shave pics and their hardware and software throughout the seasons, it's interesting to see just how much variety is out there and what people are enjoying.
I agree with your sentiments @todras as I too enjoy seeing products that I have never heard of before. As an aside, I asked a question on Facebook about a Tangerine creeper which I have been seeing a lot about and it garnered over 70 responses, many which I didn’t expect due to the manner it was released for sale!

I don’t think of myself as anywhere near as experienced as most of the guys in here but I hope you all get something from my posts!

1. Preshave: Cyril R Salter - Lavender
  2. Razor: Hart Steel, 5/8
  3. Soap: B&M First Snow
  4. Brush: Dovo 23mm silvertip
  5. Postshave: Jojoba oil
  6. Earworm: I Predict a Riot - Kaiser Chiefs
After being on holiday and some sub standard shaves it's great to be back with all my supplies. Really cold start to the day here so I thought that the First Snow was appropriate. Whipped up a great lather and had a fantastic 2 pass shave with no nicks, so happy days. I think that it's still something to learn and adapt to, but this blade seems to be getting better. How is this possible?

Brush: Yaqi 30mm
Razor: iKon X3 + OSS handle
Blade: Polsilver S/I (6)
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: PAA travel scuttle
Pre: Shower
Soap: Squadron's Scramble

A quick shave and I'd forgotten how nice this soap actaully smells - vaniila bourbon yes please! Lathered up very nicely and achieved a SAS with a few nicks on my chin :( Might give my face a rest for a few days as the last couple of shaves have been below average... Have a great afternoon :)

23V3zwwl.jpg

Pre Shave: Shower, Wash face with L'OREAL face wash
Brush: Razorock Monster
Soap: PAA CaD
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Wilkinson Sword classic (2)
Post Shave: Nivea 2 phase AS lotion, L'OREAL moisturiser
Did a 2 1/2 pass shave DFS and BBS on my cheeks
WOW! Not sure why that pic is so large.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soap: Squadron's Scramble

A quick shave and I'd forgotten how nice this soap actaully smells - vaniila bourbon yes please! Lathered up very nicely and achieved

Yeah Squadron Scramble is one of my favourites. The splash scent stays with you most of the day as well. It definitely holds it own against all the top tier US soaps. I'm keen to try some more.

I use imgur and when I paste the BBCode link in this forum I put a lower case L right before the .jpg

You can also put an “m” for medium and there are others for different sizes.

Give it a try if this is how you upload images.

This fixed it :)

I recently grabbed a pack of Feather blades from ShaverShop (*gasp*) because I had run out.

While I enjoy a Nacet blade in the AS-D2, I wanted to try a Feather blade since that is the way it is "supposed to be enjoyed".
Well, this morning I took it for a spin, and wow... I usually don't enjoy Feather blades as I find them quite rough. But in an AS-D2 I get very little blade feel or scratching.
I got a lovely close shave without ever feeling at risk. Quite impressive!

If you ever get a chance to try this combo, I highly recommend it!

Note to self: Stop being so lazy and take some damn pictures!
Astra green blades also perform well in the AS-D2

From earlier today:

Pre: Warm water
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4)
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (3)
Brush: Razorock BC Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Barrister & Mann Reserve Cool

Probably the best lather I've had to date with this soap. For anyone else who's struggled with the Reserve base:

I bloomed the soap with just enough water to cover the top layer; then emptied the water out and went to work with a completely dry brush for maybe 10-15 seconds. Then moved onto the face and lathered as usual, dipping the tips in water every so often and painting it onto the face, then splaying the brush to create the lather. Resulting lather was the most voluminous I've had so far, and most importantly very slick. Glad to have dialled it in cause the scent on this soap really is divine.

Will try again to ensure it wasn't a fluke, but I'd love to hear reports from others who might want to try this method with this soap. :)

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' blade (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'H2' boar
Soap/Cream: Argo Neo shaving cream
Aftershave: Pitralon 'Swiss' splash

A cheap, but not nasty, Bulgarian cream courtesy of the always generous @TomG !

Nice to be home to a good shave after a trip away with twin blade carts. The first morning I was running late as I'd overslept - the cart was TERRIBLE on first use but blamed it on my haste. When I used it the second day it was just as bad so I replaced it mid shave for a significant improvement (OEM carts can be like that :( )

Much better being home with what is good gear. Even a lather shot with the Neo - Lather Shots

Yeah Squadron Scramble is one of my favourites. The splash scent stays with you most of the day as well. It definitely holds it own against all the top tier US soaps. I'm keen to try some more.
I ordered the new splash but it appears most of the others are Sold Out :( Hopefully @SchoolForAnts manages to renew production as the soaps are top notch!

1. Preshave: Cyril R Salter - Lavender
  2. Blade: Derby
  3. Razor: Timeless, 0.68 open comb on Plaid handle
  4. Soap: Stubble Trouble, Up & Adam
  5. Brush: Proraso, Boar
  6. Postshave: Jojoba oil
  7. Earworm: Apply Some Pressure - Maxïmo Park
Whilst I am not the biggest fan of the scent of this soap, the lather it creates is up there with the other best performers in my rotation. Think Phoenix and Beau, Barrister and Mann, Castle and Forbes. It whips up really easily and has an awesome slickness to it. Three pass shave with a brand new blade this morning and absolute BBS, with no nicks or harshness. Happy days.

15ekeig.jpg

Rockwell 6S R2 w/ Perma-Sharp (3)
Semouge 830
B&M Leviathan Soap and Splash
TSW After Balm

Still on a face lathering journey with the boar brush. I dunno what it is, but I just can't get a good lather from the B&M soaps when face lathering. Both types. They come out kinda thin and no volume. Had to go in for a second load this morning.

I have the APR F2, Chiseled Face and a few others going pretty good on a face lather, not sure why I can not get these ones good

Status
Not open for further replies.