Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: M&F / Brad Forbes Finest Badger
Soap: XPEC Original
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Vintage NOS Personna Super Platinum Chrome (9)
Scent: Chatillon Lux Santal Auster Extract

Equal best shave of the year for me so far. I love the XPEC original scent - a glorious masculine rose supported by cedarwood, oakmoss, and plenty else.
Whilst it is sold as a shaving cream, it is actually a croap, with sufficient hardness that I bloom it. Shaving performance is stellar - the blade glided so easily across my face that I was able to maintain very close skin contact without application of pressure. I was at DFS after two passes, and following a final ATG pass and a couple of buffs here and there, BBS and grinning :D. The vintage Personna blade is still shaving beautifully on its ninth outing.

Ah how a couple of days can take the gloss off a shaver's world :)
Without a doubt the worst shave I have had in decades and I can say decades.
I decided to live on the edge .... Palmolive stick soap from a Metallica tour, a badger brush from America and a really sharp razor... what could go wrong!

The lather actually seemed really good, the brush seemed to do a great job but wow was I wrong. The lather had no glide, zero, none, nothing. More water, still nothing. A straight razor with no glide is a straight razor ready to fillet your face.

I eventually finished a very tentative single pass and called it quits. No blood but the feeling of wrapping my face in barbed wire will take a while to dissipate.

No more brush/soap experiments, shaves are too valuable at my age.

Steve
Sorry to hear that - but shaves are too valuable at every age...and without great lather there are no great shaves :(

Belated Friday shave:
Pre: hot shower
Brush: Yaqi Timber Wolf synthetic
Bowl: Avalon Pottery Otter
Soap: Declaration Grooming Trismegistus
Blade: Voskhod (6) and done

No time for pic today and only just now getting to my SOTD post. Have gone away down great ocean road with Mrs tim33z and fur tim33z for two nights. Brought my travel soap Speick stick but the shave this morning was so close I don’t think I’ll need another in 6/7 hours!

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

About 30mm deep, just get the standard size bowl fits perfectly in your hand. Don’t get the large size bowl, because the diameter is larger than the standard size.
So without measuring exactly mine is a touch deeper. Absolutely perfect for my hand but I have a fear of breaking it on the basin so I’m being extremely careful!

fCCkjZdl.jpg

Brush: Ever Ready, badger/boar
Soap: Haslinger
Razor: Gem 1912
Blade: Gem SS
Have a great weekend​

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Rooney Boar & Badger combination
Soap/Cream:
Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch shaving soap
Razor:
Vintage Gillette L 1 (1966) Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage NOS Super Stainless (6)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch post-shave balm
Post-shave:
Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch post-shave splash
Fragrance:
Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch EDP

Nice, so nice ...

3lUEFyDh.jpg

Pre: Pb Pre Shave Emulsion
Soap: Pb Lemon Myrtle
Brush: Epsilon Horse
Razor: Blackbird
Blade: Dorco ST301 (2)
AS: APR General Ledger
BBS off this combo.(y) I think the Dorco was a better pairing for me with the Blackbird. I don't use this soap very much, it's a low Stearic soap and doesn't work so well with straights but worked very nicely with the Blackbird this morning.
Where's Wally - The Border Collie pup managed to stick her head in shot if you can spot it.

Great pic, never thought to pair that blade with the blackbird. Will give it a try soon.
Where's Wally.... At a guess bottom left behind the post?

0cc8bf3c68.png

Yagi Red Marble Synthetic Tux
Phoenix & Beau Citra Royale
Colonial Razor's Aluminium General
w Tibam titanium 100mm handle.
Schick Proline SE (6)

Ogallala Bay Rum & Vanilla Aftershave

Beautiful sunny morning in Sydney and weekend chores a foot.
Lovely quick two pass with the General.
Smooth, very efficient effortless and sadly very underrated compared to most razors out there. Personally think the aluminium version lacks a bit of soul. As very light but can't compare this to the heavier brass or steel variants as I don't have one @Greenpike @SpeedyPC or others with one?
Citra was very refreshing and the bay rum absolutely layers together. Ogallala aftershaves are alittle drying for the cooler months as basic ethanol & essential oils blend. I smell lovely, quite intoxicating :love:
Should have included the Ogallala bottle in the picture as a striking blue bottle.

Washing out now and next load on. Bathrooms nearly done. Now to find the vacuum cleaner. This is why my partner looks after me.. hint hint ;)

0cc8bf3c68.png

Yagi Red Marble Synthetic Tux
Phoenix & Beau Citra Royale
Colonial Razor's Aluminium General
w Tibam titanium 100mm handle.
Schick Proline SE (6)

Ogallala Bay Rum & Vanilla Aftershave

Beautiful sunny morning in Sydney and weekend chores a foot.
Lovely quick two pass with the General.
Smooth, very efficient effortless and sadly very underrated compared to most razors out there. Personally think the aluminium version lacks a bit of soul. As very light but can't compare this to the heavier brass or steel variants as I don't have one @Greenpike @SpeedyPC or others with one?
Citra was very refreshing and the bay rum absolutely layers together. Ogallala aftershaves are alittle drying for the cooler months as basic ethanol & essential oils blend. I smell lovely, quite intoxicating :love:
Should have included the Ogallala bottle in the picture as a striking blue bottle.

Washing out now and next load on. Bathrooms nearly done. Now to find the vacuum cleaner. This is why my partner looks after me.. hint hint ;)

Rushing to put a load of washing on now!:) (my daughters trying to work out what Mrs Pbgoose and I are laughing about)
You may be right about the Al General, but on the other hand I really like the dexterity of the Black Hawk (aluminium), and I love the feel of the brass General. So it's win, win, they're all good. I can only recommend you find out for yourself with another purchase of a brass or SS General.:ROFLMAO: I bought a SS General and gave it to my son, so I haven't actually tried that one. (My son hasn't tried it yet either, I'm assuming he will when he regains his health, in the meantime I can't help myself but buy him shaving gear occasionally to which his response is, 'thanks Dad but I've already got more than one razor', maybe you can't catch RAD when you're already sick:))

Semogue 1305, Mitchells Wool Fat, Parker 34R, Polsilver, Witch Hazel, Viet Fougere, Oud Attar
This was supposed to be my shave last night,but my youngest daughter was mucking around in yard and broke a bone in her foot so we spent most of the night at hospital.Today wasn't the best shave I have had.Lather was good and the Parker worked as it should,but a little tired and not really enjoying the process.Ended smooth but a few small weepers on the chin.I smell ok though.

Hey, I hope all turned out well with your daughter?

Her head's at the end of the Blackbird's handle.:)
Nope still can't it.. guess it was the fumes from the cleaning agents.

Rushing to put a load of washing on now!:) (my daughters trying to work out what Mrs Pbgoose and I are laughing about)
You may be right about the Al General, but on the other hand I really like the dexterity of the Black Hawk (aluminium), and I love the feel of the brass General. So it's win, win, they're all good. I can only recommend you find out for yourself with another purchase of a brass or SS General.:ROFLMAO: I bought a SS General and gave it to my son, so I haven't actually tried that one. (My son hasn't tried it yet either, I'm assuming he will when he regains his health, in the meantime I can't help myself but buy him shaving gear occasionally to which his response is, 'thanks Dad but I've already got more than one razor', maybe you can't catch RAD when you're already sick:))
Lol glad someone gets it :LOL:
Hope your son gets better soon so he can try it out for us or BSTs it.
Count me in if the latter occurs (y)

Semogue 1305, Mitchells Wool Fat, Parker 34R, Polsilver, Witch Hazel, Viet Fougere, Oud Attar
This was supposed to be my shave last night,but my youngest daughter was mucking around in yard and broke a bone in her foot so we spent most of the night at hospital.Today wasn't the best shave I have had.Lather was good and the Parker worked as it should,but a little tired and not really enjoying the process.Ended smooth but a few small weepers on the chin.I smell ok though.
So did she end up with foot in cast? Hope she is recovering OK? That's hard yakka on your own. Quiet W/E?

Pre-shave: Proraso White
Brush: Razorock Monster
Soap/Cream: Mountain Man by Stirling Soap Company
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Ikon Bamboo Handle
Blade: Astra SP (3)
Post-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel- Cucumber with Tea Tree Oil, Mountain Man Splash, Moisturiser

Another one pass shave, it could just be in my head but I believe the extra weight in the bamboo handle made for a more efficient shave

So did she end up with foot in cast? Hope she is recovering OK? That's hard yakka on your own. Quiet W/E?
Hey, I hope all turned out well with your daughter?
Yeah she has a back cast on until we go to fracture clinic in Lismore on Wednesday and will find out how long she is off it for. To top it off the elder girl woke very crook this morning,sitting with a bucket for the spewing.So yes, a quiet weekend at home for them,busy for me.

Despite my appalling shave last night the face feel etc today is truly excellent. Still very close and zero aggro from the skin. It still rates as the worst shave for a very long time while actually shaving yet it does feel as good or dare I say better the next day than most. The Palmolive "Metallica tour" soap will certainly get another go as it did really seem excellent. The disaster last night was me.

Steve

Despite my appalling shave last night the face feel etc today is truly excellent. Still very close and zero aggro from the skin. It still rates as the worst shave for a very long time while actually shaving yet it does feel as good or dare I say better the next day than most. The Palmolive "Metallica tour" soap will certainly get another go as it did really seem excellent. The disaster last night was me.

Steve
Any soap that has been on your must be spectacular :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.