Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20180911_071450-01.jpg

Mmmmm. For the vintage guys, Avon Tai Winds is a nice pairing with Florian! This was also my first use with the new APR soap base. Thick and creamy goodness all-round. I'm enjoying the CB razor so much now. The F plate is a beast without being scary at all. Haven't felt the need to crack out the D plate at all yet.

Less of a SOTD than 'reflections' from the bathroom. My reflection being - always take a good aftershave. The difference it is making to me to have the Chatillon Lux Delor de Traget to use post shave is amazing.

For those of you who need daily pictures, I had a very pleasant meatball sandwich, after some Bitter Balls -

at a cafe with a view -

where you can just watch the local go by. It was Cafe Bouwman on the recommendation of @TomG! Many thanks mate. Had a very pleasant dinner people watching and then chatting to some Aussies from Sydney who sat down next to me.

Then back to the hotel to this view -

Today, unfortunately, all work!

Less of a SOTD than 'reflections' from the bathroom. My reflection being - always take a good aftershave. The difference it is making to me to have the Chatillon Lux Delor de Traget to use post shave is amazing.

For those of you who need daily pictures, I had a very pleasant meatball sandwich, after some Bitter Balls -

at a cafe with a view -

where you can just watch the local go by. It was Cafe Bouwman on the recommendation of @TomG! Many thanks mate. Had a very pleasant dinner people watching and then chatting to some Aussies from Sydney who sat down next to me.

Next time I hope you have room in your suitcase for me ;)

at a cafe with a view -

Do bitter balls come after blue balls?

My first shave with the restored straights from @pvsampson
Pre Shave: Prorase Pre Shave Cream
Soap: Big boy Dispatch Rider
Blade: Bengal 5/8 restored and honed by @pvsampson
Subject: Stupidly Nervous but also with some macho bravado

I gave my whole face and neck a shave. Obviously baby steps and I'll be still using the DE to get the bits I miss. But it was good. Being such an old house the bathroom even has the hook for the strop. I slowly stropped after the shave and I'll have another go on Thursday.

v4cu9s.jpg

Brush: Proraso (Omega)
Razor:
RR Baby Smooth
Blade: Gillette Nacet (5)
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Fine lather bowl
Soap: APR Suitably Attired Australian
Post: Thayers Witch Hazel Aloe & Lemon + APR Suitably Attired Australian splash

It was too early in the morning for a picture but a very 'smooth' & enjoyable SOTD... :chicken: Happy shaves!

No Picture again (my new phone is quite bad unless very good light conditions)

Pre: nothing
machine: SSSeygus extrem oc 2016 + Gillette Nacet
brush: BSB2 Silvertip
soap: ByLuna edicion foroafeitado 2018
splash: AP Reserve Lavioletta
EdP: AP Reserve Lavioletta

As good as it gets in a day like today at Van Diemen's Land

cheers

at a cafe with a view -

Great pics, Mate. Glad you enjoyed the cafe.
Seeing that Meatloaf sandwich brought back some great memories.

Once again an off topic post from me rather than a boring one about my shave kit.

In Amsterdam there is some great food - 'Zeeuwse' clams with white wine, thyme, garlic and olive oil

Followed by - Roasted duck with Beluga lentils, grilled little gem, roasted peach, panchetta and mirin

Notice the nice placement of the restaurant name for this Insta age!

Being Amsterdam you must have a canal photo -

and a last evening photo from my hotel window -

Not quite the same as shaving pics but ...

iDEzrNL.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Truefitt & Hill Shave Oil....
Razor: Blackland Dart....
Blade: Personna....
Brush: Turn-N-Shave Smoke On The Water....
Soap: Declaration Grooming Pure Lavender....
Post: Thayers, Chatillon Lux Champs de Lavande Aftershave and Salve, Lavande Poivre EDT....

My aftershave formulation has more than sufficient Witch Hazel in it, if you skip the thayers you will get longer duration from the fragrance in my splash :)

Hey @todras is that with the Florian in particular or all APR Splashes....
And is that because the skin will absorb more of the splash without being already hydrated by the Thayers....

Hey @todras is that with the Florian in particular or all APR Splashes....
And is that because the skin will absorb more of the splash without being already hydrated by the Thayers....

Witch Hazel does not hydrate the skin, it does the exact opposite by tightening the pores and removing oils from the skin.

Witch Hazel can be extremely drying to the skin, it is an astringent and using too much of it will simply stimulate excessive oil production by your skin to counter the drying effects of the tannic compounds. Many of the aftershave/splashes on the market contain way, way to much Witch Hazel and that is why compounded with the effects of the ETOH they are as harsh as buggery.

If you use extra witch hazel with my splash all you are doing is removing the perfume that is contained within the splash from the surface of your skin, when I formulated the AP Reserve splash base it took months to achieve the correct balance of witch hazel to aftershave solution. With my splash you have just enough to experience the beneficial effect of Witch Hazel without overly drying the skin or destroying the longevity and sillage of the perfume.

All AP Reserve aftershaves contain exactly the same composition with the exception being the addition of menthol for some releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.