Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - on the road again and trying to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid...). This is about as light as I can go and still have a decent shave:

Equipment:
Razor: Merkur Futur c/w Feather Blade
Brush: Alpha T-400 c/w 26mm HMW Knot
Soap: Arko Stick
Preshave: 3P

No bowl with me this time so a pure face lather after a 10 minute prep with the 3P. I tell you what the 3P is a great pres-have and a nice menthol kick too. Get one now!!The ShaveTwo passes on #4 WTG and ATG and a final pass on #1 ATG. Face lathering is the way to go for a lightweight travel shave. I soaked the Arko stick at the same time as soaking my brush. Take the stick and expose a little of the soap and rub it on your face - like this to get a good coating. The take the brush, get rid of the excess water and work that lather. The Arko explodes into a nice slick lather easily. Just keep rubbing and adding water until you get what you want

Arko stick rubbed on face - make a thin layer like the photo.

Now, I know many people have opinions on the smell of Arko, to me it is just soap and a nice hint of citrus. Don't be put off by the opinions of a minority of Arko haters, Arko is one of the great and classic men's shaving soaps and I urge everyone to try it out. If you don't like it then bin it - it costs only about 2 bucks a stick so not much to lose eh? You will be surprised I am sure.

After face lathering for 30 seconds

g8Tmb9R.jpg

Valobra Pre
Simpson CH3
Wolfman WR1 SB
Feather
Eufros Violetas
AP Reserve Lavioletta

26 October 2018

Razor :: Vintage Schick Paul Revere Injector (L5) Razor
Blade :: Proline - B-20
Brush :: Grizzly Bay - Balrog
Bowl :: Lancaster Razor Works Pottery Bowl
Soap :: Declaration Grooming - Darkfall
Finale :: Cold Water Rinse/Alum/Witch Hazel/DG Darkfall AS

n5N5gBEl.jpg

Such a fantastic Fall/Winter fragrance. We don't get much cold weather down under, but when we do I always take the chance to bust out the DF.

bimMkAil.jpg

Pre: Pb Pre Shave Emulsion
Soap: Pb Henry Mk II
Brush: Vie-Long 4312 Black Horse
Razor: Asylum Rx
Blade: Kai Titan Mild (3)
Really nice first run of Henry Mk II. I love this sport (have I said that before). I get to enjoy my own hobby plus the work of multiple other artisans and shave gear companies. Bowls, brushes, razors and soap. Very lucky to avoid the daily chore and enjoy the many varied facets of wet shaving.:)

Such a fantastic Fall/Winter fragrance. We don't get much cold weather down under, but when we do I always take the chance to bust out the DF.
After 4 months of temps being over 90 degrees every day, we final got some cooler weather here in the deep South. As you mentioned, it is a fantastic fragrance and couldn't pass it up as my first cool weather shave.

IMG-20181027-114217-01.jpg

My first SOTD in a while! Please know I have been shaving every second day but damn busy in the mornings.

This was my first try of the Declaration base thanks to @LukehGee and I do have to say it was superb on one try. It was thirsty and I thought I may have overloaded the brush but in no time it was a smooth, velvety lather with top notch properties. It's right up there with my favorite bases. Scent is bright and green and compliments the Blenheim Bouquet as all green aftershaves do. Good scent strength once lathered in the soap and good levels of menthol in the splash. It will be a real boon in the hot weather... and invigorating.

I should make mention of the Karve CB razor which is used exclusively now and with the F plate. It has replaced the Colonial General as the default!! It is also getting a great brass patina to match my venerable stand. I wholeheartedly recommend this excellent razor. Do try multiple baseplates though as the D plate I have causes irritation and I do not like it at all.

IMG-20181027-114217-01.jpg

My first SOTD in a while! Please know I have been shaving every second day but damn busy in the mornings.

This was my first try of the Declaration base thanks to @LukehGee and I do have to say it was superb on one try. It was thirsty and I thought I may have overloaded the brush but in no time it was a smooth, velvety lather with top notch properties. It's right up there with my favorite bases. Scent is bright and green and compliments the Blenheim Bouquet as all green aftershaves do. Good scent strength once lathered in the soap and good levels of menthol in the splash. It will be a real boon in the hot weather... and invigorating.

I should make mention of the Karve CB razor which is used exclusively now and with the F plate. It has replaced the Colonial General as the default!! It is also getting a great brass patina to match my venerable stand. I wholeheartedly recommend this excellent razor. Do try multiple baseplates though as the D plate I have causes irritation and I do not like it at all.
Maybe you’re better off selling your Colonial General, IF, you’re sticking to the Karve CB ‘F’ base plate as your default daily razor

Hi - on the road again and trying to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid...). This is about as light as I can go and still have a decent shave:

Equipment:
Razor: Merkur Futur c/w Feather Blade
Brush: Alpha T-400 c/w 26mm HMW Knot
Soap: Arko Stick
Preshave: 3P

No bowl with me this time so a pure face lather after a 10 minute prep with the 3P. I tell you what the 3P is a great pres-have and a nice menthol kick too. Get one now!!The ShaveTwo passes on #4 WTG and ATG and a final pass on #1 ATG. Face lathering is the way to go for a lightweight travel shave. I soaked the Arko stick at the same time as soaking my brush. Take the stick and expose a little of the soap and rub it on your face - like this to get a good coating. The take the brush, get rid of the excess water and work that lather. The Arko explodes into a nice slick lather easily. Just keep rubbing and adding water until you get what you want

Arko stick rubbed on face - make a thin layer like the photo.

Now, I know many people have opinions on the smell of Arko, to me it is just soap and a nice hint of citrus. Don't be put off by the opinions of a minority of Arko haters, Arko is one of the great and classic men's shaving soaps and I urge everyone to try it out. If you don't like it then bin it - it costs only about 2 bucks a stick so not much to lose eh? You will be surprised I am sure.

After face lathering for 30 seconds

Most soaps are great soaps it is about learning how to use them as they all have personalities. The lovely Arko is an all round prefomer especially for the price. Unfortunately it has a simple smell and in Auatralia that smell is a common urinal cake smell. So unless I like pissing on it for aiming practise and then picking it up and applying it to my face, it stays out of my den.

Never tired 3P. Maybe you can throw a sample my way one day :giggle:

@rlroadie2004 love the Dark Fall. I was lucky the @LukehGee looked after me with a generous sample of it. That opened my eyes to a wonderful dark, warm scent with fantastic performance. So annoyed with myself for not getting the EDP as that stuff is a banger for mid winter.

Prep: Hot shower
Razor: Merkur 37c slant
Blade: Feather
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Vulfix old original pure badger
Post: Omega Alum stick, Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Lozione Dopobarba
How’s the Tabac shaving soap coming along for you during your shave @astinus4, don’t forget to give your grandma a big kiss

How’s the Tabac shaving soap coming along for you during your shave @astinus4, don’t forget to give your grandma a big kiss

This was my first shave with the Tabac. Was running late for a doctors appointment so could only manage 1 WTG pass plus ATG touch up on my upper lip and chin. I usually like to do three passes with a new soap to really put it through its paces.

First impression is positive though - lathered up very easily, plenty of slickness and protection, even the scent wasn't too overpowering once lathered. Still early days, but this might be the best non Artisan soap or cream I've ever tried.

Razor: weber / UFO goliath prototype
blade: feather
brush: Tony Forsyth "The ghost" high mountain
soap: AP Reserve Ozymandias
splash: AP Reserve Ozymandias
balm: The Stray Whisker
EdP: AP Reserve Ozymandias travel sized vial

HVf2VoA.jpg

Really impressed with the knot of the brush. I cut myself in the lip, so It has been my first use of an alum match. It did a great job :)
BTW, I just added yesterday a new "eaten" critter. I had some possum croquettes in a local pub. They were nice, but to flavoured to just enjoy the pure taste of the possum. I should have to go for harvesting some roadkill to taste the pure meat of possum, but unfortunately, I reckon it is not legal here :(

Most soaps are great soaps it is about learning how to use them as they all have personalities. The lovely Arko is an all round prefomer especially for the price. Unfortunately it has a simple smell and in Auatralia that smell is a common urinal cake smell. So unless I like pissing on it for aiming practise and then picking it up and applying it to my face, it stays out of my den.

Never tired 3P. Maybe you can throw a sample my way one day :giggle:

@rlroadie2004 love the Dark Fall. I was lucky the @LukehGee looked after me with a generous sample of it. That opened my eyes to a wonderful dark, warm scent with fantastic performance. So annoyed with myself for not getting the EDP as that stuff is a banger for mid winter.

Thanks. DF is one of my favorites especially now that the weather has finally started to turn milder here in the deep South. And you would be correct, the scent and performance are second-to-none. If you do have an opportunity to pick up the AS, you need to...really compliments the soap.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Thater boar shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (5)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch aftershave splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch EDP

Penultimate shave with this tub of Fenchurch! I have a backup of course - but it will be put away until the cooler weather next year.

The Red Ring easily mowed down two days growth, no shave yesterday as I was up early (even for me) to drive to Sydney to help my daughter move house. Why oh why do the Hertz depots all close at 12 noon - so you effectively only have 4 hours from when they open to use the Ute? In Sydney traffic that meant one trip from Norwest to the inner city (St Peters) with a small side trip to a bed shop along the way. Only just got the ute back in time, if I'd missed the deadline it would have been a Monday return!

Status
Not open for further replies.