Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless 'Aussie Spoiler' (10)
Brush: Shavemac Americana shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lixiviant shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lixiviant splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lixiviant EDP

Ahhh

7qBwLvsl.jpg

Brush: Simpsons PJ2
Soap: MWF
Razor: Fat Boy
Blade: Astra SP

I bought the Mycroft in preparation for autumn, I don't know if there will be much left by then.​

First try of Mitchell's Wool Fat

Brush:
TSW 452 24mm synthetic
Razor: Rockwell 6c (3)
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium
Post-shave: Alum, B&M Reserve: Classic

Well, I shaved yesterday afternoon for a New Year's Day catch-up with family.
Everyone in this thread, seemed to have started the year with some MWF and it seems to be on just about everyone's "top products" list.
So, I decided this was a good time to try the unopened puck I had in my drawer.

The Lather
My last couple of shaves were with GFT (f-ck them) Limes... Terrible terrible product. It sliced me to bits with it's non-existent lather.
Fortunately, a suitable proto-lather soon formed off the fresh MWF puck with the TSW synthetic.
I transferred this to my lather bowl and proceeded to add a little water. I managed to generate an acceptable lather. Not great like some of the other's I'm used to (APR, B&M, WhollyKaw). But it could just be my inexperience with hard pucks.

At this point it's probably worth mentioning that I really had to punish the TSW brush. This is a very soft brush and lacks significant backbone which might have helped with a hard puck.
Next time I think I'll use my St. James of London synth and see if I get a better result - This bush is too scratchy for face lathering. But, might be just the ticket for a hard puck and face-painting.

Does anyone have any success with MWF and a Yaqi?
Do Yaqi's have more backbone than a TSW?

The Shave
For the first pass I was thinking "This stuffs good. But I don't really see any distinguishing qualities". Also, the scent is very - "soapy".
I finished my pass and rinsed. That's when the differences appeared. This soap has significant residual slickness... Even after a rinse. Quite impressive.
I finished 2.5 passes and got a very easy, smooth and close result.

The Post
This is where I started having problems.
I generally leave a lather on my face for a few minutes before a final rinse in order to get any post-shave benefits. Not all soaps benefit from this. And indeed, if I'm going to get an allergic reaction to something, it'll be now. I noticed a slight stinging and redness in my cheeks.
I did my final (cold) rinse. Everything definitely felt soft. But I was also quite red.

With a certain fear I proceeded to use my Alum block... Stinging... So much stinging... Owww...
Once that had dried I applied my B&M Reserve splash... This is normally quite a pleasant experience. But not this time - Dear Mother of Tallow that stung!!! Definitely one of those "that was a mistake" moments.

Verdict
When I turned up to my function, all anyone could talk about for the first ten minutes was "what's wrong with your face? Are you ok? Have you had an allergic reaction to something?". One of those awkward situations where they just wouldn't let it go without my entire history. Coupled with the brutal bluntness that only family can provide... sigh. Eventually the redness went down somewhat (2+ hours). But, the emotional damage was done.

So, do I think it's a failure? No. I noticed enough good qualities that I feel I need to take all recent events into consideration... Namely my recent GFT (f-ck them) debacle.
It had only been a few days since that terrible experience and I think most of my issues this time can be attributed to not having yet recovered from that.
I think I will wait a few more days before giving it another shot.

TL;DR My face hasn't recovered from my recent GFT (f-ck them) experience. Therefore, no shave was ever going to go well. I'll try again once my skin has recovered a little more.
Ok, here some tips from paradise - I haven't shaved for a while, but need to post nonetheless :D

Lather is made by the tips of a brush, and this is also where you pick up the soap. There is no need to "punish" any brush - on the contrary, less pressure might be better in this case. If you want, you can pinch the bottom of your knot together with your fingers, while you are loading.

And this brings me to my next point: apparently your "proto-lather" (I hate his word - there is lather and then there is useless foam) was not suitable - else you'd had a good shave...

Adding to my first point: your brush is fully loaded, once you don't need to/can't pinch the knot together with your fingers anymore because it is full of lather...then you can thin it out or aerate on your face/in your bowl.

MWF is a really nice soap, I personally just don't like the soapy scent. It was the favourite of the late @Draco Noir and you should not only get good lather from it, but more like stellar lather ;)

100% agree... especially about how smooth it is. I have a longer bronze handle coming from eBay as it suits my style.... Also waiting on a tub of Renaissance Wax to give it some protection from the patina (I like the new look)
Handle here:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bronze-razor-handle-Stork-Razors-Classic-/253308465285?

Ebay has a 10% sitewide code at the moment, might save you US$16.... NEW10.... code may be targetted but check your eBay summary as it's one of the current top deals on ozbargain :)
Timeless here:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bronze-Safety-Razor-and-Stand-by-Timeless-Razor/222710711980?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
@ Scotty Thanks for the suggestions but silly me jumped the gun and made a purchase via their webiste, without seeing your post :banghead:
@ Bozley82 convinced me to bite the bullet but I appreciate the links for a different handle and the wax, even though I wouldn't mind the patina (y)
I'm looking forward to trying it out and here's hoping Timeless come up with new base plates later this year :cool: Happy shaves guys!

Last edited:
Yesterday's shave:
Brush: Omega
Razor: Parker Variant #1
Blade: Astra Green
Soap: Edwin Jagger Menthol

Lather is made by the tips of a brush, and this is also where you pick up the soap. There is no need to "punish" any brush - on the contrary, less pressure might be better in this case.

If you want, you can pinch the bottom of your knot together with your fingers, while you are loading.
This is excellent advice! I will absolutely try this.

Thanks @alfredus! (y)

7qBwLvsl.jpg

Brush: Simpsons PJ2
Razor: Fat Boy
Blade: Astra SP

I bought the Mycroft in preparation for autumn, I don't know if there will be much left by then.​
What year/quarter is the FatBoy

39507086721_3942ce5128_b.jpg

Soap: Pb Orange/Ylang Ylang
Brush: Omega Boar
Razor: Heljestrand Mk10
AS: Australians All
Going through my soaps systematically (spreadsheet in hand:)) to document what I've got so far. Spreadsheet showing up interesting stuff with not much data in yet. Uni student tee'd up for data analysis.
The Orange/Ylang Ylang is a good example. Actually ticks a few boxes performance wise but I've largely ignored it because I don't overly like Ylang Ylang. Performed well with the Heljestrand.

Status
Not open for further replies.