Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semogue 1800, Proraso, Filarmonica Stainless 13, Witch Hazel, Old Spice Musk

Sometimes I wonder to myself whether all the effort is worth it.Soak the brush,strop the razor,load brush,lather then shave,lather and shave second pass,dry the razor,clean everything up,shower etc.A good straight shave can take half an hour for Jeebus sake.Then I sit down for a bit afterwards and contemplate on the ritual of the shave and how satisfying the process is.
Yes.It is worth it.

F10HDQIl.jpg

Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: EJ 89
Blade: English Wilky
Soap: Williams
A/S: Floid Vigoroso

Razor: iKon B1 Open Comb
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (German I think) (#1)
Brush: TSW 452 24mm
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming "Bon Vivant" sample

Well, I haven't shaved for a week. After 4 days straight of TRYING to get a shave but having to skip it for 'dad reasons', I finally got a late one in this afternoon.
It was loooong overdue and and most welcome.

I've been using the trusty Tech for my last few shaves. But, my facial hair was already well into hobo-territory. So, I had to bring out the big guns - Los Open Comb.
I haven't used my iKon in forever; and this is what it excels at.

I loaded a GSB into the iKon. While checking the alignment, I noticed the blade was not flat. Instead there was a wave-like undulation of the blade. Honestly, it looked a little scary.
I took the blade out. cleaned everything again. Put the blade back in... But again, it was wavy!
The only possible cause seemed to be the glue-dots you get on some brands of blades. It looked like the glue was gripping the cap and preventing the blade from properly deforming when the handle was tightened.

I rummaged around for a blade that DOESN'T have glue-dots and I came across the Wilkinson Swords.
They looked clean, so I put them in. I checked the alignment and, this time, it was dead-straight. *whew*
This is the first time I've used a Wilkinson Sword. Somehow I've just not gotten around to using the pack I have. So, a bit of a gamble. But, better than the alternative.

It was a very pleasant shave. I find "Bon Vivant" to be an almost overwhelmingly chocolate-fudge + orange liqueur type scent off the pot. But, when lathering it tones down to something far softer and pleasant.
It is also very soft... Almost like a ganache, which I guess is appropriate. It lathers fairly well. That said, after sitting in my bowl for a few minutes, I noticed it became a bit thicker all on its own. So, perhaps I should have whipped it a bit longer. Either way, it was still very good.

The iKon Open Comb + Wilkinson Sword combo is VERY efficient. I had attained a SAS by the end of the first pass.

Followed it all up with a Fougère Bourbon Rose splash which somehow seemed to work quite comfortably with this combo.

Overall, I am very pleased with this shave.
Will I use the Wilkinson Sword blades again? Yes.
Will I use the Bon Vivant soap again? Yes. In fact, I'm strongly considering buying some.

sunday's shave:

Pre: Myrsol emulsion
brush: Semogue 2000
machine: weber head + ufo handle + astra green
cream: Extro Arancia italiana
splash: Fine L'Orange Noir

9Rds45W.jpg

Really great shave, a truly bbs. This cream is really good and I love orangish scents. Fine is almost over, so I should purchase soon some orangish splash for keep using it. I have the Afthershave/edt of this soap, but it is in Spain, waiting to meet me at some point this year :D

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless blade (9)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Martin de Candre Original shave soap
Balm: TSW After Balm
Aftershave: Pitralon 'Swiss' splash

Early start again and just about to board. Hard to beat this as a way to start the day.

Have a great week guys!

I hope it went ok.
The wind is brutal today.

Wind during takeoff not a problem. It seems more of an issue on landing. Was just delayed waiting for a bat in SYD.

Enjoyed reading your essay BTW - although I’m not sure about those ‘Dad reasons’ ...

Date: 26 March 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Route 66 ~ Sweeney Todd 3x
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor:- Rockwell 6C (R5)
Blade:- Gillette Silver Blue #3
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- YSL L’Homme

Oh dear Lord no, why Sydney!!! WHYYYYYY!!

:LOL:

Yo @borked we should go check this thing out man!

See if you can get a stand.

Hand out spreadsheets showing the savings.

On a winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.