Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C Charity Auction Custom Gold/Pearl Manchurian 2 Band Finest 24mm Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 "Slim" (5)
Blade: NOS Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (1)
Post-shave: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire splash
Fragrance: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire Solid Cologne

How could you NOT have a great shave with this line up?

G2p1B8Sl.jpg

Ju9B0wD.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus High Mountain White Badger
Soap: Squadron Group Captain's Blend
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword (1)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel; Myrsol Agua De Limon Aftershave Splash
Scent: GFT Eucris

The approach of the winter solstice called for a warm and comforting soap - Group Captain's Blend was just the ticket.
A light touch is paramount with the very sharp vintage English Wilkies - resulting in me being a happy chappy and BBS :).

Pre: Hot towel
Razor: Timeless, S/S, 0.68 Scalloped base plate
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron Red Lead
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.
Nice shave. The scent always reminds me of my granddad.

Pre: Hot shower then hot towel
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Imperial Bay Rum
Brush: Semogue 730 HD Silvertip Badger
Razor: Merker 23C
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (3)
A/S: Home made Bay Rum scent based on witch hazel, glycerine and ‘The Krakken’ rum with lime and bay essential oil and secret spices

3 passes BBS effortless and smooth

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C Charity Auction Custom Gold/Pearl Manchurian 2 Band Finest 24mm Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 "Slim" (5)
Blade: NOS Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (2)
Post-shave: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire splash
Fragrance: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire Solid Cologne

I'm so glad that the days are getting l;onger BUT - time is running out to use these winter classics too :)

G2p1B8Sl.jpg

Brush: TF Custom Shades of Blue & Gold Tuxedo Shaving Brush
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R6 plate)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Soap: MWF
Pre: Shower

Decided to try a suggestion from @Ozwhisker regarding extending my shaves and had a shave last night with this setup.
I managed to swap a boar brush with my dad for the TF Custom synthetic as he prefers them and all I can say is his loss is my gain. The brush feels wonderful in the hand and the tuxedo knot performs excellently (y)

Enjoyed using MWF as I have no issues with lanolin, the scent and post shave feel is great. Only let down was the blade didn't perform great with R6 plate as this morning I noticed some missed spots that I quickly touched up in the shower. Much better results with the R5 plate.

Next shave scheduled for Tuesday... Happy shaves!

Feather AC DX non folding
Feather pro blade (13)
Tony Forsyth Platypus 26mm fan badger
Palmolive by Mennen Lather Shave cream
Nivea ASB
Armani Code

A truly excellent BBS today, just wiping off three day's growth like it wasn't there...

This was my second shave with the Semogue; I notice the bristles are splaying markedly more than my other boar (Omega 10065); is that normal? (See full size photo) Quite enjoying the bit of scrub from the boar brushes!

Yes, it has previously been mentioned that Semogues turn into a bunch of wet noodles very quickly. The "bed head" look is endemic to them on SOTD posts. Part of the difference may be in the bristle but the main issue is that Semogue set their knots with splay in the bristle from the outset (ie the bristle is set at an angle in the knot), whereas Omega bristle comes straight out of the knot and then they splay from there. So if you like the "bed head" look and a lot of splay, Semogue is the best choice. But if you prefer a firmer knot with more controlled splay, then Omega is your friend. Both of them will break in (ie split) the tips around the same time, depending on whether they are "banded" boar knots (the banding treatment softens them considerably) or just plain bristle, or a premium "finer" bristle (eg Italian flag for Omega, which some find a bit too fine). Banded knots start out a lot softer and get softer from there, whereas plain bristle is firmer and takes longer to break in (both soften up and split the tips).

For me, I'm not a fan of Semogues due to this and for the choice of Omega banded vs plain, I probably prefer the banded or premium bristle options. Although variety is the spice of life and I also enjoy badger and synthetic brushes in equal measure these days.

Date:- 22 June 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Fourth & Pine
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Matte SS 'SB-D' / Polsilver SI #8
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)
Fragrance:- Burberry London for Men

Pre: Hot shower.
Razor: Charcoal Goods Level-2 base plate, limited edition Victorian.
Blade: Euromax
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
First use of the Euromax blade. Not bad, no irritation, felt a little uncomfortable shaving against the grain. I will give it another go in a different razor.

how much should i feed my tropical fish

Pre: Hot shower.
Razor: Charcoal Goods Level-2 base plate, limited edition Victorian.
Blade: Euromax
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
First use of the Euromax blade. Not bad, no irritation, felt a little uncomfortable shaving against the grain. I will give it another go in a different razor.

how much should i feed my tropical fish
How's the Euromax blade Fred?? and which other blade is very similar side by side to Euromax

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Semogue 1305 Premium Boar
Soap:- Stirling - Baker Street
Razor:- Timeless .68 SB - Scalloped Head
Blade:- Nacet (1)
Aftershave:- Stirling - Baker Street

JvXHLgk.jpg

Took the Timeless for a super smooth and efficient shave. 14 Hrs later and very minor regrowth
Loaded a fresh Nacet into top 3 Stainless Steel razors for S|S comparison using the same software, brush and blade count each blade increment across razors.
Swapping razor daily, brush and software every 3 days.

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Semogue 1305 Premium Boar
Soap:- Stirling - Baker Street
Razor:- Timeless .68 SB - Scalloped Head
Blade:- Nacet (1)
Aftershave:- Stirling - Baker Street

JvXHLgk.jpg

Took the Timeless for a super smooth and efficient shave. 14 Hrs later and very minor regrowth
Loaded a fresh Nacet into top 3 Stainless Steel razors for S|S comparison using the same software, brush and blade count each blade increment across razors.
Swapping razor daily, brush and software every 3 days.
How do you get on with Stirling with your lanolin issue?

Pre: Hot shower then hot towel
Soap: Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol (green)
Brush: Omega boar hair
Razor: Merker 23C
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (4)
A/S: Proraso eucalyptus and Menthol (green)
EDT: Demeter Petrichor
A quick 2 pass shave feels nice to not chase BBS for a change still smooth but zero irritation with the alum block, loving all aspects is a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.