Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
... By my maths, 3 shaves on a Feather Pro = 6 shaves on a DE. So perhaps 3 decent shaves is all you can Consistently expect from a single edge?🤷‍♂️
I can't fault your logic, except that the Artist Club blades are a little thicker (and therefore more resilient?) and supposedly a bit sharper. Whether the latter is true or not, I don't know, but anecdotally, some people get 13 or more shaves out of an AC blade. Since I shave my head as well as my face, I didn't expect a blade to last anywhere near that long, but I hoped for a week to make the changeover convenient.

I'm hoping that by changing to the Pro Super, which is the same blade but with more exposure, I might be able to eliminate a lot of the buffing, which I think probably causes a lot of wear on the blade.

Last edited:
Hey @StratMan cheers for the compliment. There's plenty to like about the bronze as its a well crafted DE with a narrower head than the SS/TI versions and the heavy handle really adds to the shave experience. As for efficiency - I find the SB plate is mild enough to be a daily shaver if you have slow growth and smooth when paired with a variety of blades.
I also have the OC plate and convinced @Pbgoose to try it out and he uses it regularly but I find the step up in blade gap on par with the R41 so tend to bring it out for those odd shaves when I've skipped a few days growth and it mows down my sandpaper stubble with ease!
In all honesty mate its quite a step up in $$$ compared with a DE89 and result wise they're quite similar but if you're a nutter like me who loves things shiny then I suggest you try the OC as its similar to what you already use and I'm sure @Pbgoose can add his view... (y)

@StratMan , I've had the Timeless Bronze OC since February and love it. I bought it because I wanted something mid aggression and smooth. I tried @Razor Burn 's Timeless Bronze OC and was very impressed with the smoothness/efficiency of the razor so had to have one as it filled a gap in my collection between mild and aggressive. If you have a look at the Timeless site the SB version has a much smaller blade gap (.38mm) so I'm guessing would be too mild for me. The OC blade gap is 0.78mm so is milder than the R41 but still pleasantly efficient. On top of that it's a little unique in it's OC design and I think a good looking razor. Timeless do a very nice job of manufacture so all up I'm very happy with mine.
Back in August you said the Game Changer 0.84 was too mild for you. I would've said the level of efficiency between the Timeless Bronze OC and the Game Changer 0.84P was very similar, though maybe the OC would work better for you?

Date:- 04 October 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Bruce Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mike’s Natural ~ Bergamot, Orange & Ylang Ylang
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Brass 'SB-C' / Vintage Gillette US Spoiler #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- YSL L’Homme

50417308917_e1bfc345e3_b.jpg

Joserra Kush // Semogue Torga C5 Finest Badger // Rocnel Sailor S // Joserra Kush Splash

Hey @StratMan cheers for the compliment. There's plenty to like about the bronze as its a well crafted DE with a narrower head than the SS/TI versions and the heavy handle really adds to the shave experience. As for efficiency - I find the SB plate is mild enough to be a daily shaver if you have slow growth and smooth when paired with a variety of blades.
I also have the OC plate and convinced @Pbgoose to try it out and he uses it regularly but I find the step up in blade gap on par with the R41 so tend to bring it out for those odd shaves when I've skipped a few days growth and it mows down my sandpaper stubble with ease!
In all honesty mate its quite a step up in $$$ compared with a DE89 and result wise they're quite similar but if you're a nutter like me who loves things shiny then I suggest you try the OC as its similar to what you already use and I'm sure @Pbgoose can add his view... (y)

thanks for the reply, I certainly don’t have slow growth.

this is one beautiful looking razor and prefer the look of the OC. I also enjoy heavy razors plus don’t have a bronze so chances are I’m gonna get one.

You mentioned you like things shiny (as do I ) so assuming you don’t let yours patina so wondering how much effort is invoked in polishing it?

@StratMan , I've had the Timeless Bronze OC since February and love it. I bought it because I wanted something mid aggression and smooth. I tried @Razor Burn 's Timeless Bronze OC and was very impressed with the smoothness/efficiency of the razor so had to have one as it filled a gap in my collection between mild and aggressive. If you have a look at the Timeless site the SB version has a much smaller blade gap (.38mm) so I'm guessing would be too mild for me. The OC blade gap is 0.78mm so is milder than the R41 but still pleasantly efficient. On top of that it's a little unique in it's OC design and I think a good looking razor. Timeless do a very nice job of manufacture so all up I'm very happy with mine.
Back in August you said the Game Changer 0.84 was too mild for you. I would've said the level of efficiency between the Timeless Bronze OC and the Game Changer 0.84P was very similar, though maybe the OC would work better for you?

Yes I said the 84p was too mild but back then I also thought the DE89 was uselessly way too mild.. Since then I learned to shave properly and paired with a feather the DE89 provides a very strong DFS but the positive trade off is a super smooth shave this is why I was considering the SB 38 gap.

I suspect the 84p would now deliver Me an excellent BBS shave while remaining very smooth but I already have the JAWS and don’t have a bronze razor so if they deliver a similar efficiency this sounds like the one to get plus the OC looks awesome IMHO.

The only remaining question is the feel. I have read reviews where people feel it’s way too aggressive feel despite the low 78 gap but by the sounds of it seems like this shouldn’t be an issue for me

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Bazlu Swirl Custom 22mm Silvertip.
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming - Dayman
Razor:
Ikon Tech head / Razorock SS handle
Blade: Feather (4)
Post-shave: Declaration Grooming - Aftershave splash / Nivea Men Sensitive Moisturiser
Fragrance: Issey Miyake for Men Eau de Toilette

1 pass WTG + touchups DFS+. What a great shave, very impressed at the inexpensive Ikon techs performance. I shaved the touchups on the residual slickness of the soap alone. ( DG soaps are elite). This feather blade has been doing well for me. Smooth shave and efficient. One weeks growth taken away in 1 pass with a DFS+ as a result. This razor puts the R41 to shame. There is plenty of blade feel but I enjoy that. This is one level of efficiency above the Karve SB G plate, but sacrifices nothing smoothness. I will try daily shaving with it for a bit and see how I go.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soaps Coronet Fougere shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 "Slim" replated in rhodium (6)
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (1)
Post-shave: Squadron Soaps Coronet Fougere splash
Fragrance: N/A

After two days of single passes with my horrible blade in the travelling kit (didn't check if I had a new cartridge) this was a blessed relief -

8kbbAhel.jpg

Blackland Tradere OC + Astra SP
B&M Waves
Matilda

I've had the Tradere for just over two weeks now and have done numerous shave comparisons with my other razors. Charcoal Goods Level 2 OC and CC; ATT R1 & S2; slim; Pils & Blackland Blackbird.

My first use with the razor with the supplied Personna Lab Blues was a disaster, on the second pass it left my neck really sore and irritated. Having switched back to my go to blades (Astra SP), I have had much better results.

Aggression wise I would place this just above my Charcoal Goods level 2 OC. However, the C.G. was just a tad more efficient. Throughout the testing period I often felt that the Tradere was sometimes 'scraping', rather than shaving. I also felt that if I was not careful it would bite. I realise that this could still be down to fine tuning the shaving angles etc. but at the end of the day I have been wet shaving a long time now and feel that if it is not intuitive, then my rating of it falls. I also do not particularly like the size of the head. It is wider than the other razors, due to the top cap design enclosing the blade. I found it harder to shave under my nose when compared to all the other razors apart from the Pils. It does have great balance, but is on the heavy side. Finally, I am not the biggest fan of how the base plate and handle engage. I think that the thread could be longer and feel that I have to over-tighten to really clamp it down.

For me, this razor falls in the middle of the pack. Would I buy it again? No.​

Couldn't have said it better myself mate! (y)

Yes I said the 84p was too mild but back then I also thought the DE89 was uselessly way too mild.. Since then I learned to shave properly and paired with a feather the DE89 provides a very strong DFS but the positive trade off is a super smooth shave this is why I was considering the SB 38 gap.

I suspect the 84p would now deliver Me an excellent BBS shave while remaining very smooth but I already have the JAWS and don’t have a bronze razor so if they deliver a similar efficiency this sounds like the one to get plus the OC looks awesome IMHO.

The only remaining question is the feel. I have read reviews where people feel it’s way too aggressive feel despite the low 78 gap but by the sounds of it seems like this shouldn’t be an issue for me
Being an OC it has decent blade feel but if you take your time it delivers close/smooth shaves and would suit you better than the milder SB plate. Goodluck making a decision as the bronze looks great! ;)

Soap: Noble Otter Hamami
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Pro Super (1)
Scuttle: Captain's Choice "Tempest"
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo

Again no picture, as I'm keeping everything the same except for the blade.

Which makes nothing the same (ever again).

Just as I was beginning to have a niggling doubt about the Vector purchase, the change of blade was a revelation. DFS in one pass, BBS in two. Not even the slightest nick or weeper, this is at least as fast as my R41 was, but way more comfortable. I don't think I've done better even with a straight.

Soap: Noble Otter Hamami
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Pro Super (1)
Scuttle: Captain's Choice "Tempest"
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo

Again no picture, as I'm keeping everything the same except for the blade.

Which makes nothing the same (ever again).

Just as I was beginning to have a niggling doubt about the Vector purchase, the change of blade was a revelation. DFS in one pass, BBS in two. Not even the slightest nick or weeper, this is at least as fast as my R41 was, but way more comfortable. I don't think I've done better even with a straight.

Interesting how the extra 0.2mm blade exposure made a difference.

Interesting how the extra 0.2mm blade exposure made a difference.
Been doing a bit more reading on those blades. I had thought they are the same, but with more or less length, ie +/- 0.25mm (edge to back), but it seems I misunderstood. The Super is also thicker, which would change the geometry again. I've also found conflicting information on the grind angles. Whatever they've done, the comparison is maybe like an R41 vs a 34C...

Brush: Bazlu Swirl Custom 22mm Silvertip.
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming - Dayman
Razor: Ikon Tech head / Razorock SS handle
Blade: Feather (4)
Post-shave: Declaration Grooming - Aftershave splash / Nivea Men Sensitive Moisturiser
Fragrance: Issey Miyake for Men Eau de Toilette

1 pass WTG + touchups DFS+. What a great shave, very impressed at the inexpensive Ikon techs performance. I shaved the touchups on the residual slickness of the soap alone. ( DG soaps are elite). This feather blade has been doing well for me. Smooth shave and efficient. One weeks growth taken away in 1 pass with a DFS+ as a result. This razor puts the R41 to shame. There is plenty of blade feel but I enjoy that. This is one level of efficiency above the Karve SB G plate, but sacrifices nothing smoothness. I will try daily shaving with it for a bit and see how I go.
Hey Horse (@Blackie) you MUST get yourself an iKon Tech into your den, if, you really want one level of efficiency above the Karve SB G plate.

thanks for the reply, I certainly don’t have slow growth.

this is one beautiful looking razor and prefer the look of the OC. I also enjoy heavy razors plus don’t have a bronze so chances are I’m gonna get one.

You mentioned you like things shiny (as do I ) so assuming you don’t let yours patina so wondering how much effort is invoked in polishing it?
I think you're making the right choice as the OC should serve you well.

I find the bronze and lesser extend brass, develop teas stains if not dried properly after use so I like to give it them a quick polish with some Autosol which leaves it nice and shiny. :love:

I also use PlastiX for my resin shaving brush handles and SS razors to give them a fresh look.

Been doing a bit more reading on those blades. I had thought they are the same, but with more or less length, ie +/- 0.25mm (edge to back), but it seems I misunderstood. The Super is also thicker, which would change the geometry again. I've also found conflicting information on the grind angles. Whatever they've done, the comparison is maybe like an R41 vs a 34C...

Looking forward to your opinion on the Schick Proline with the vector.

6Yj7a4c.jpg

Monday‌ ‌10.05.20 ‌SOTD‌
I‌ ‌Provenzali‌ ‌Olive‌ ‌Oil‌ ‌Artisan‌ ‌Bar‌ ‌Soap‌
Gillette ‘32 New SC Gold Common Bar
Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
Yaqi Moka Express 26mm 2-Band Badger
Barrister‌ ‌and‌ ‌Mann‌ ‌Cheshire‌ ‌Shaving‌ ‌Soap‌
Barrister‌ ‌And‌ ‌Mann‌ Cheshire‌ ‌Aftershave‌

Status
Not open for further replies.