Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often second guess which side of the plate I'm using as the 0.50 milder gap is very deceptive... :eek:
They say that "if the ring is facing up, then it is aggressive shaving". I think that you are right in terms of that blade gap deception. I certainly had a better shave yesterday when the ring was upwards.

Glad to have restored your faith in Feather blades and in the Ikon Tech no less! As the #Lurker says life is too short for bad shaves.

Had my eye on these new geltip manchuria brushes for a while. How does it compare to other badgers in the den?

The SHD Geltip Manchuria 26mm is very dense knot, considerably denser than my shavemac unique knot. Took me a few practise hand lathers to get right as to have enough lather for a 3 pass shave. Needs a good load up (none of this 10 secs load and go) It's very soft on the face, and has decent backbone. No initial scratchy feel, the knot tips dry hard and crunchy. I have only had a few lathers with it, so far I enjoying it. On the face to me it feels better than the shavemac. For the money with a knot of this calibre, to me, it's unbeatable value.

Date:- 08 October 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mike’s Natural ~ Bergamot, Orange & Ylang Ylang
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Rubie #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops), Tea Tree Antiseptic (5) & Invite E Pure Oil (5)
Fragrance:- YSL L’Homme

They say that "if the ring is facing up, then it is aggressive shaving". I think that you are right in terms of that blade gap deception. I certainly had a better shave yesterday when the ring was upwards.
I swear I'm constantly double checking as both sides shave great with slight preference for the aggressive side as it offers a closer shave without compromising on smoothness. Its definitely up there with the Charcoal Goods Level 2. (y)

I tend to take little notice on blade gap these days as the 0.50 is no way mild and IMHO the 0.85 is more efficient than the Game Changer 0.84. Similarly the Timeless 0.38 SB Bronze shaves closer than my Gen 1 RR Mamba which I believe is 0.53 gap...? YMMV :cigar:

I swear I'm constantly double checking as both sides shave great with slight preference for the aggressive side as it offers a closer shave without compromising on smoothness. Its definitely up there with the Charcoal Goods Level 2. (y)

I tend to take little notice on blade gap these days as the 0.50 is no way mild and IMHO the 0.85 is more efficient than the Game Changer 0.84. Similarly the Timeless 0.38 SB Bronze shaves closer than my Gen 1 RR Mamba which I believe is 0.53 gap...? YMMV :cigar:
totally agree with you. I like the way that Brian from Charcoal Goods does not even publish his blade gaps.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: P&C charity auction/ TF Customs - ivody 2 band finest
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming - 88 Chestnut St
Razor: Ikon tech head / Razorock SS handle
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Post-shave: Declaration Grooming - 88 Chestnut St AS splash / Nivea Men sensitive moisturiser.

2 pass daily shave WTG = DFS+. Really enjoying this razor. The Icon tech is brilliant. I am so happy that I gave this razor a shot. Super efficient and very smooth. Hard to find a razor of this effciency with the smoothness. I like the way the aluminium head instantly heats up with the hot water, this probably aiding to the smoothness of the razor.

Wizmets are a nice blade in the razor, and a touch less sharp than the feathers. Most people would probably prefer these blades in this razor than a feather. (not me :)).

All the hype about this being the most aggresive razor etc blah blah. It is definately the most efficient DE razor I have used. So far out of the feathers, nacet, wizamet blades I have used, all have worked really well for me.

Last edited:

Brush: P&C charity auction/ TF Customs - ivody 2 band finest
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming - 88 Chestnut St
Razor: Ikon tech head / Razorock SS handle
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Post-shave: Declaration Grooming - 88 Chestnut St AS splash / Nivea Men sensitive moisturiser.

2 pass daily shave WTG = DFS+. Really enjoying this razor. The Icon tech is brilliant. I am so happy that I gave this razor a shot. Super efficient and very smooth. Hard to find a razor of this effciency with the smoothness. I like the way the aluminium head instantly heats up with the hot water, this probably aiding to the smoothness of the razor.

Wizmets are a nice blade in the razor, and a touch less sharp than the feathers. Most people would probably prefer these blades in this razor than a feather. (not me :)).

All the hype about the being the most aggresive razor etc blah blah. It is definately the most efficient razor I have used.So far out of the feathers, nacet, wizamet blades I have used, all have worked really well for me.
I'm glad you're enjoying the iKon Tech as its one of 2 razors that I struggled to finish the first pass as it was way too harsh. I might have to bring it out again and try it with a Wizamet...? :unsure:

MCnxw6k.jpg

Thursday‌ ‌10.08.20 ‌SOTD‌
I‌ ‌Provenzali‌ ‌Olive‌ ‌Oil‌ ‌Artisan‌ ‌Bar‌ ‌Soap‌ ‌
Gillette ‘57 British Rocket HD 500
NOS Wlkinson Sword made in England
‌RazoRock Faux Horn Plissoft Disruptor
Chiseled Face Sherlock Shaving Soap
Chiseled Face Sherlock Aftershave Splash

First use of the Torrey, and WOW what a shave. I liked the Gold Dollar but this is on another level, so much lighter, smoother and the sound is incredible. 2 passes with and against for a comfortable DFS, and I almost got away with no nicks until a couple of small ones at the end while trying different grips going against on my neck.
Also first use of Endurance, a very nice scent but I was so focussed on the sharp thing in my hand I wasn't really paying attention to that.
oRmfXBK.jpg

w7NmeCM.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: DR Harris H3 Best Badger
Soap: Phoenix and Beau Night Witch
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel; Barrister Reserve Spice Aftershave Splash

Back in the Big Smoke. What a joy to have a relaxing shave in my home bathroom.
And it was a BBS beauty - the shave, not me :ROFLMAO:.

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Vintage Klenzo/Simpson "The Duke" Pure Badger
Soap: M&M Green Man Fougere
Razor: GC-84P
Blade: Feather (4)
Aftershave: M&M Green Man Fougere
dYsSUPm.jpg

Cycled through tried and tested blades with the Charcoal Goods and now time to baseline against the 84P

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Rooney shaving brush
Soap/Cream: L&L Grooming / Chatillon Lux TSM Fougere shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 "Slim" replated in rhodium (6)
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (5)
Post-shave: Bootlegger's El Dorado splash
Fragrance: N/A

Nice end to the week

pdhBZmRl.jpg

Charcoal Goods Level 2
Wilkinson Sword
Tabac
Omega 48 Pro
Osma Alum
First use of Tabac and the Omega with today's shave. I'm not sure how I feel about the scent of Tabac. To me it's very floral and smells similar to Barrister and Mann's Cologne Russe. It's not bad but I definitely will not buy the aftershave. The scent may grow on me but I currently don't plan to replace it once finished. The performance however it excellent and can't find any area in which is lacks. I was surprised how big the Omega 48 Pro is. It's certainly taller than any other brush I own. I don't find it floppy but this may change once broken in. Overall the shave was excellent and I'm excited to uses these products in future shaves.

Charcoal Goods Level 2
Wilkinson Sword
Tabac
Omega 48 Pro
Osma Alum
First use of Tabac and the Omega with today's shave. I'm not sure how I feel about the scent of Tabac. To me it's very floral and smells similar to Barrister and Mann's Cologne Russe. It's not bad but I definitely will not buy the aftershave. The scent may grow on me but I currently don't plan to replace it once finished. The performance however it excellent and can't find any area in which is lacks. I was surprised how big the Omega 48 Pro is. It's certainly taller than any other brush I own. I don't find it floppy but this may change once broken in. Overall the shave was excellent and I'm excited to uses these products in future shaves.

I’ve been using Tabac for a while now and agree with you about the scent. It’s not offensive but not one of my favourites - great performance keeps it as a mainstay in my rotation.

HOWEVER I do quite like the aftershave and cologne. Yes the scent is very similar to the soap, but seems to have a bit more ‘spice’ to it (sorry not good at describing scents).

Last edited:
IMG-20201008-191125.jpg

Brush: RazoRock Boar
Head: Leaf Razor
Blade: Polsilver x3
Face: Merkur 34C
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridiums (11)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Hubba Hubba
Pre: Shower
WTG, XTG, ATG = DFS

A really simple yet enjoyable shave with this setup. Only let down was the floppiness of the boar as it struggled creating cream lather and the Wizamet wasn't as smooth but still sharp after 11 shaves... Also love the grape bubblegum scent! :love: Have a great weekend!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.