Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to hear your thoughts when you get a chance to try a Gillette Nacet blade with this razor.

I will def give it a go at some point soon.. just want to A & B against the timeless and WR2, my initial thoughts are that I am enjoying this razor to both of those (which is a huge call) but want to make sure.. once confirmed will try the nacet next, but the wizamet/polsivers are my benchmark on all these mentioned razors

what I really love about the rocca is the smoothness the razor against the level of efficiency. At this point its like the smoothness of the WR2 1.25 with the efficiency of (just about) the R41. Hopefully i have enough hair on my face tonight to shave lol

I will def give it a go at some point soon.. just want to A & B against the timeless and WR2, my initial thoughts are that I am enjoying this razor to both of those (which is a huge call) but want to make sure.. once confirmed will try the nacet next, but the wizamet/polsivers are my benchmark on all these mentioned razors

what I really love about the rocca is the smoothness the razor against the level of efficiency. At this point its like the smoothness of the WR2 1.25 with the efficiency of (just about) the R41. Hopefully i have enough hair on my face tonight to shave lol
Must resist the RAD!!! :nailbiting:

Thanks Mark.
And where do the years go? They seem to be going faster and I have to do the maths as I keeping forgetting how many years it's been. So..2021 is a big one for you guys.(y)

Exactly! Just wake up one day and there it is!

2021 big year (30) for us and 60 for my folks!

50455660828_6c24932a8b_c.jpg

Pre-shave:- Hot towel
Bowl/Scuttle:- HG Scuttle
Brush:- Scottish Fine Soaps boar
Soap/Cream:- WFW Lavande
Razor/Blade:-Wade & Butcher 8/8
Aftershave:- Musgo Real

Date:- 12 October 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Bruce Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mike’s Natural ~ Bergamot, Orange & Ylang Ylang
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Matt SS 'SB-C' / Vintage Gillette Aussie 'Gold' Spoiler #3
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (20 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (12) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss

b9i9s7l.jpg

Pre-shave: Warm shower
Brush: Semogue 1305 boar
Soap: Wholly Kaw Jamestown Gentleman
Bowl: Fine Accroutrements with added 'agitators'
Razor: Smart-Helix Apollo Light (Aggr.)
Blade: Kai(3)
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman Musk
Fragrance: Armaf Club de Nuit

Managed another little weeper despite taking great care, but that was the only blemish on this shave. Just excellent. Been a while since I've used the Kai blades, they sure are sharp but also so smooth.

Monday‌ ‌10.12.20 ‌SOTD‌
EfbCkUP.jpg

TSE‌ ‌Pre-Shave‌ ‌Oil‌
Gillette ‘40s Gold Fat Handle Tech Set
Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
Simpsons‌ ‌Commodore‌ ‌X3‌ ‌Best‌ ‌Badger‌
Fine Fresh Vetiver in a vintage mug
Fine ‌Fresh‌ ‌Vetiver‌ ‌aftershave‌

aHYf9WX.jpg

SOTW
Pre-shave:-
Shower
Brushes:- Thater/SOC LE Badger
Soap:- Stirling - Frozen Tundra
Razor:- Smart Helix "Apollo" Mild
Blade:- Astra (1)
Aftershave:- Stirling Witch Hazel Aloe Menthol

8keeIPg.jpg

I don't usually judge a razor by first impression because dialing in period but the Mild Apollo is amazing, the closest and smoothest shave had for a while.
This razor would be sharp without a blade because the quality and finish is so fine. Thanks for the review @Errol

SOTW
Pre-shave:-
Shower
Brushes:- Thater/SOC LE Badger
Soap:- Stirling - Frozen Tundra
Razor:- Smart Helix "Apollo" Mild
Blade:- Astra (1)
Aftershave:- Stirling Witch Hazel Aloe Menthol

8keeIPg.jpg

I don't usually judge a razor by first impression because dialing in period but the Mild Apollo is amazing, the closest and smoothest shave had for a while.
This razor would be sharp without a blade because the quality and finish is so fine. Thanks for the review @Errol
Welcome to the club @Holiday - very happy you like it! (y)

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co Sharp Dressed Man shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 "Slim" replated in rhodium (6)
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (2)
Post-shave: Stirling Soap Co Sharp Dressed Man splash
Fragrance: Stirling Soap Co Sharp Dressed Man

Waiting for the girls to go crazy ...

IMG-20201012-213928.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Chameleon Malle Burl & Holographic 30mm Rhodium Silvertip
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo 0.85mm Aggressive plate
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridiums (13)
Soap: A&E Frozen Mojitos - thanks @Nico
Pre: Shower
WTG, XTG, ATG = BBS :love:

A super happy shave with this setup. Inspired in part by a great guy who's doing things tough... Stay strong and thinking of you mate! (y)
Agree with @Errol that this razor deserves greater praise as its such a well made razor. :cool:

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Bazlur - Swirl Custom 22mm Silvertip
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming - After the Rain
Razor: Karve CB SS - SB (F) plate
Blade: Gillette Stainless (1)
Post-shave: D G - After the Rain AS splash / Nivea Men - Sensitive PS Balm

Two pass WTG + touchups = DFS+. Another nice shave.

YDAY SOTD
Pre
: WarmShower
Razor: Timeless 95
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo
Soap: B&M Lavanille

The shave with the Rocca was smoother than the timeless, but… I don’t know how much was due to the 4 passes (2xATG) I did with the Rocca the day before which left very little to shave with. To not cause problems I decided to stop at two passes with the timeless and I learnt something.

The hairs I feel on the face before I finish shaving ‘disappear’ after 5-10mins after shaving and I was left with a near BBS. This means I chase BBS to hard and can afford to do at least one less pass to get excellent results.

Going to try the same tonight with the WR2, will try two passes one XTG and one ATG and see where is gets.

Will revisit the timeless as I still think it should be a slightly smoother shave than the Rocca but maybe I am wrong..

50465773707_6d4e816e90_b.jpg

Pre: WarmShower
Razor: WR2 1.25
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Matilda 2-Band Silvertip Badger
Soap: Noble Otter – Two Kings

First time using noble otter soap, performance was excellent and a very nice post shave. Scent is amazing.. The WR2 is awesome with the wizamet, much more so than the feather but is it better than the Rocca? Hmmm.. I think the smoothness would be the same, if not a touch better with the Muhle, but def the Rocca is more efficient.

50468561721_4477e4682d_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.